Don't trust your Optus webmail account

As it is Outlook 2010 to get to the export function the steps are Click “File” tab > “Options” > “Advanced” > from the Export section click “Export” This is the same process for Outlook 365

Outlook 2013/2016 is Click “File” tab > “Open & Export” > Import/Export

Yes the Calendar has almost the same approach. The First time you back it up from the file list choose “Calendar” (highlight it) and ensure the “Include Subfolders” box at the bottom is ticked (default choice) then click next and give it a name that allows you to remember what it contains (and where you want to store it eg c:\mybackups\first calendar.pst) then click Finish to create the .pst.

Once you have this then set yourself a schedule reminder for weekly or monthly to backup then when selecting Calendar ( including subfolders) click “Filter” click “Advanced” choose Field > Date/Time fields >Created then either This week or This month from the list depending on your schedule then click Ok then click Yes to the Add to your Criteria Box then click Next give your .pst a name that reminds you of the contents and click finish. If you miss a schedule instead of This week or month choose “On or after” and add the date you want to back up from to the value field.

Hope that helps.

Of course you can filter by other choices if you wish but this gives a complete set of recovery backups if ever needed.

When you backup your computer just ensure that these folders/files are included in your selection to backup and you will always be able to recover your important emails and events.

Contacts can also be managed in the same way though I just save the entire contact list each time with a new date name and every 3 or so backups I delete the oldest one.

I forgot to add when creating these backup .pst files after clicking Finish it will ask if you want a password, I don’t so I just click Ok wihile leaving the fields blank.

3 Likes

Really helpful thanks

2 Likes

What responsibility does Optus have for the data they have apparently ‘lost’? I would be asking some more questions about how they could possibly ‘lose’ an entire account and its data - and whether this loss affected other customers, and whether such a loss is a regular occurrence.

Surely they have a duty of care somewhere along the line?

3 Likes

That is how I see it too. And seeing they don’t seem to believe they have such a duty of care, I feel others should be warned in case they are thinking of using an Optus email account.

2 Likes