Domestic flight change forcing an overnight stay

Hi all

I live in Tasmania, so when I fly it normally consists of booking connecting flights (unless going to Melb/Syd). I’ve noticed airlines tend to significantly reschedule flights when a lockdown hits, which often results in them scheduling me an overnight stay in a locked down city. so far i have been able to reschedule whenever this has happened (virgin been happy to change my flight when i get on to them if there is a non overnight via a different city available).

unfortunately my flight next week has been changed and does not seem to have any non overnight options available. does the airline have obligations to provide accomodation/meals/transport for forced overnight stays, same as they do if there is a flight cancelation at last minute?

i spoke to virgin last time this happened (my current trip had 4 schedule changes for the flight up, and im on my 3rd change so far for the flight back), and they told me i can put in a claim, but they can’t guarantee it will be accepted. it felt like i was being told a line to get off the phone, and i would like to know if i am being stung with extra costs upfront.

if anyone has any knowledge or experience i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

2 Likes

Reference #8 that includes overnight accommodation, although not precisely in the context you have found yourself in, but you could argue it should cover you.

https://www.virginaustralia.com/us/en/experience/service-experience/compensation/

4 Likes

Staying in a lockdown city on route may have implications for your own Covid-19 status. Generally you leave the airport terminal you are classed as being within a lock down area and may be subject to cross state border travel restrictions as a result.

It might be worth contacting the Tassie Department of Health Covid hotline if this is the case for advice. A worst case scenario to avoid restrictions impacting on you is you need to sleep within the terminal. Hopefully this isn’t the case and the advice from Tassie Health might indicate if the proposed flight timing and overnighting is practicable. If it makes travel impractical, liaise with Virgin with alternatives to ensure your travels and Covid status isn’t impacted.

2 Likes

thanks for the heads up, but i think im ok on that front, while circumstances can change, there are approved hotels i can stay at, which if i taxi straight from airport to hotel and back again and go no where else it still counts as transit. though i would rather avoid the risk both from a health and a potential change in circumstances perspective.

2 Likes

thanks. looks promising as long as i can argue that the flight changes were within virgins control. hopefully they dont make the process of arguing for it too cumbersome.

if anyone on here has gone through this process already, i’d appreciate if you could let me know how you went.

thanks

4 Likes