Does Caffeine in Shampoo really help reduce or reverse hair loss?

In another topic it was posted by @Gaby about caffeine in Shampoo or similar hair products:

So I am asking does it really help?

Is it worthwhile trying it?

If it does work are there other ways of applying it eg a warm/cold cup of coffee applied to the hairy or less than hairy area?

8 Likes

A family member had early hair loss. Today his coiffure is very much like Prince William’s. When it started thinning he tried caffeinated shampoos as well as other supposed treatments over a number of years.

By the time the only remaining option was Minoxidil (and similar) he was already old enough to accept it and decided ‘enough’. Reality is he looks distinguished ‘as is’.

6 Likes

Sorry, I’ve seen the ads but never actually used it, in any form.
Not only I’ve no need for it, but would be sceptical of anything which claims to stop hair loss, which is a very complex issue in my opinion.

6 Likes

If you’re asking for yourself @grahroll,
let me say this, FWIW, I think that men with a shaved head are attractive: it gives them a noble, distinguished look :wink:.

4 Likes

Our March Flies also agree. Loops like a landing strip visible from space. That’s why I always wear a hat.

Unfortunately noble and distinguished in the hat department generally requires bling in a gold setting, or a tin can with drop down visor? :rofl:

5 Likes

How about a test, you apply the preparation to one side but not the other and post photos monthly. I would volunteer but there wouldn’t be any observable difference.

3 Likes

Rofl No wasn’t for me though I do have hair loss on the head. I am not worried about it other than the need to be more careful about wearing hats and using sunscreens. Whether I look noble or distingushed is a matter of concern only for others, I have no hang ups about my balding pate:-)

3 Likes

It was for a friend. I understand :wink:

3 Likes

@PhilT Your understanding is gratefully and gracefully received :sunglasses::laughing:

Is the caffeine usage scientifically proven to work?

The cost of some of the shampoos, conditioners and lotions I have seen around seem quite steep just because some caffeine was added. A can of coke after all only costs $1 to $2 in most places and they add plenty of caffeine to that or even buying an energy drink with loads more caffeine added are very cheap in comparison to these Caffeine hair loss treatments. Shampoo can be bought quite cheaply as well and so adding caffeine should not cost a whole lot more. I wonder if people who use the hair products actually get the results they pay for?

Priceline Chemists have Alpecin C1 Caffeine Shampoo (250 ml) for $13, this is about 6 times the cost of a can of coke (not at all suggesting that a can of coke is a good or even usable hair treatment). A decent jar of instant coffee can be bought from around $4 to around similar prices as the shampoo and you would get a lot of 250 ml cups at that cost. Ok I am not suggesting that coffee be used as a substitute but the use of the shampoo or other products seems to be just as a transport medium for the caffeine to get to the hair follicles.

In 2018 the makers of Alpecin in the UK were banned from saying that the products could ‘help to reduce hair loss’. The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) in part of the summation wrote: “Taking into account the body of evidence as a whole, we considered that we had not seen any studies of the actual product as used by consumers on their scalp using an accurate and objective analysis of hair growth, in a well-designed and well-conducted trial. We concluded that the claim “it can actually help to reduce hair loss” had not been substantiated and was therefore misleading”.

But things may have changed or studies and proper trials may now support the claims regarding caffeine, can anyone find that proof?

6 Likes

Still looking.
For a friend of course?

I did find this on line which suggests at one point they are still looking for a “real cure” for male baldness. The article as a point of contradiction, also comes with a long list of other cures in the sidebars just in case you can’t wait.

There is a great reference to10 Caffeine shampoo products for hair loss. No science or evidence!

I can’t wait to try the neem oil cure which ranks further up the page than caffeine. It is also easy to find. Just look in the garden shed, along with all the pesticides. It comes with a thorough ABC Gardening Australia recommendation. It’s totally organic and will help to control common problems such as aphids and whiteflies. At least if my hair does not grow back the leftovers will be useful in the garden.

Given hair is dead stuff, it seems more reasonable that any cure needs to act directly on the subcutaneous layer of the skin. Putting product on hair seems counterintuitive, and a waste?

I’ve also rarely noticed any males in Japan with baldness. As caffeine is a recent product in their culture perhaps they know something we are yet to discover about keeping your hair thick and dark into maturity?

5 Likes

That is evidence marketing ‘education’ trumps reality, and the business of healthy hair is very profitable.

6 Likes

I like to think of it as “scalp gain”.

I have the high forehead/Friar Tuck pattern so it’s really only an issue for tall people standing behind me.

5 Likes

Why not just use coffee grounds after you’ve had your espresso etc? Why pay extra?

2 Likes

I don’t know what sort of concentration the caffeine is in these products, but I’m sure that buying a pack of caffeine tabs would allow you to produce quite a large quantity of ‘caffeine shampoo’ at considerably less expense, just by adding some ground up tablets to regular cheap shampoo
 and you wont smell like you spilt coffee on yourself!

4 Likes

Assuming not all the caffeine has been removed through the making of the cuppa, it may have unintended consequences

https://www.benfranklinplumbingmn.com/blog/can-coffee-grounds-go-down-the-drain/

A plumber that unblocked our drains many years ago warned us not to put coffee grains or tea leaves (or install a sinkerator) and such materials bind with oils, fats etc and result in blockages.

Maybe one need to make a coffee ground tea, just like a compost tea and hope the resulting solution contains caffeine.

The cheapest and easiest option may be to purchase refined caffeine. 

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/buying-pure-powdered-caffeine-off-the-internet-2015-2

and hope that its use has no side effects

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691514004451

4 Likes

Yep, I can see all those thirty-something men, who have just found that first little thinning patch, sitting up watching TV with a coffee mud pack on their head. No more ridiculous than getting plugs and much cheaper. Ashley and Martin home brand arabica, “With the added bonus that you can drink the residue too”!

3 Likes

Chuckles. Why not? Could be a couples experience although not sure cukes go well with espresso.

3 Likes

And smelling like an espresso machine for days.

My other half thought coffee removed/stained grey hair (some internet fable she read) and decided to do it a few times. She smelt like a espresso machine for a few days and the hair retained a lingering smell kif one put ones nose up to the hair) for a about a week. No need for perfume/colognes.

A coffee mud pack could sole two problems in one.

3 Likes

Sounds as though it’s time to test the product Choice
But my answer i feel would be a huge No,just another gimmick

4 Likes

Good to exfoliate and it’s free. Good nourishment for hair. 
 make fun of natural products all you like.