Do you think eucalyptus oil can be considered disinfectant?

I tend to add a tea spoon of eucalyptus to the Dish Washer that seems to make every item cleaner and the dish washer smells cleaner
and no after taste on any dishes

Do you think eucalyptus oil can be considered disinfectant?

2 Likes

Yes it is . I kept and bred Australian Parrots and some species would actually collect Eucalyptus leaves to add to the bottom of their nesting logs to freshen and disinfect them . I found that really fascinating that they knew to do this .

2 Likes

Evolution is a marvellous force, based on you observation it is likely the presence of leaves favoured the parrots ancestor’s offspring survival rate of those that nested in logs that had naturally accumulated eucalyptus leaves so that eventually by better survival rates became a dominate behaviour in the species.

2 Likes

Yes the study of nature can be fascinating and we can learn much from it . I also observed some native finches put certain mosses in or around their nests to keep flies and other parasites away . We can learn much from nature I think .

3 Likes

Yes, as do other essential oils, here is one paper on it…

5 Likes

Yes but just be aware that some plastics will melt if you apply eucalyptus oil directly to them. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, it is disinfectant and a great cleaner-offer-of-gunk :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I do. It’s the only product I buy as it has multiple uses around the home, disinfecting being only one of them. Great stuff!

1 Like

To be pedantic melting happens when something is heated. In this case the oil is a solvent dissolving the plastic. Quite different processes.

2 Likes

In this case no. It does has good antimicrobial and fungal properties (as does melaleuca oil) but the contact time and concentration are too low for it to be effective in a dishwasher. However the time and high temperature of a dishwasher are very disinfecting.

These in vitro tests are standard and very useful for screening purposes. But they do NOT, by a long way, translate into useful results for particular applications.
The example with which I have enormous experience is biocides for natural cosmetics. I can assure you that even relatively high levels of eucalyptus oil do not preserve creams etc from fungal spoilage including A. niger.

These tests indicate materials that may work but not necessarily work in real world applications. Dishwashers are real world and I doubt ant essential oil would come near the efficiency of the high temperatures of a dishwasher for disinfecting.

2 Likes

Eucalyptus oil is an antiseptic. It has also a myriad of other anti bacterial uses also.
Arthritis,
Asthma,
Dental plaque,
Stuffy nose.
Wounds.
Burns.
Ulcers.
Acne.
Bleeding gums.
Bladder diseases.
Diabetes.
Fever.
Flu.
Liver and gallbladder problems.
Loss of appetite.
http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/eucalypt
http://www.m.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-700/eucalyptus

1 Like

Not sure on your dishwasher use of it, but it can be used in other areas as a cleaner/disinfectant.
I worked at a private hospital & was mates with the housekeeping manager. I asked why the wards didn’t smell like a hospital (bleach). They used eucalyptus for much of the cleaning.
That’s one eg, but here’s a journal article covering it
http://www.academicjournals.org/journal/AJPP/article-full-text-pdf/4B720D632697

3 Likes

It is. I used it to treat insect bites, itchiness, and even a pimple on my face!
Went away after a few days, just like magic
:grin::grin::grin:

I also drip some in my pet’s bedding, between the folds. Keep fleas away.
If you want to do the same, make sure your pet doesn’t lick it.
It may be toxic to them.

Yes, I can remember using it to get chewing gum out of hair. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes definitely. Just make sure the oil you are using on washing etc, is water soluble. Not the straight stuff. :slight_smile:

1 Like