Do you shop online?

Interesting survey. Thanks @BrendanMays

1 Like

A curiously simple survey with scope for “snapshot story telling” for the real information. Since it is state based and the problem is not, what is the purpose excepting window dressing to respond to consumer discontent?

2 Likes

You might wish to follow up with NSW Fair Trading for a full answer to this question. In the past, this particular state body has used research both like this and at a market level with the goal to learn the attitudes of Australian consumers towards online shopping and their knowledge of security precautions and consumer rights.

1 Like

We broke a part of our cellular (honeycomb) blinds yesterday. There was no manufacturer markings on it so I went with Mr Google for help. A Victoria ebay merchant was the only one showing the part, selling it for $48 + $6.50 shipping, delivery in 3 weeks.

Off I went to the local blind shops. Shop 1 did not recognise the part, nor were they helpful in suggesting a source. Shop 2 did not have or recognise the part but suggested a repair service not far away, and shop 3 had the part. $5.00. (the repair service had not yet opened for the day and all the shops were within 5 minutes)

Caveat Emptor.

3 Likes

You live in a cell Phil? :smile:

2 Likes

Sometimes it feels that way. I edited for clarification and to remove the straight line :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I shop locally for most things - clothing, groceries, electrical goods etc. However, I am retired and do quite a bit of craft work - wirework, beading, crochet - and for bulk craft supplies such as wire, headpins, silver coated spacer beads, cheap crystal rondelle beads etc I order from overseas. I cannot afford Australian prices (plus postage) for small quantities of these items when I can buy much larger quantities for the same price online from overseas.

2 Likes

I am now buying ebooks - no choice there, have to buy online. But last week I was looking for snorkelling gear, I found some things that I wanted available online but couldn’t find a replacement goggles strap. When I went to my local shop, I found not only the strap but also better prices on the other items.

2 Likes

Just a tad offtopic to the forum but about EBooks some Libraries supply ebooks to either loan or to own. I know the Brisbine City Council Library system does:

https://library.brisbane.qld.gov.au/client/en_AU/eLibCat/?rm=EBOOKS+AND+DOW0|||1|||1|||true

3 Likes

@grahroll Oh thanks - have to look in my local library

2 Likes

I created another post about this, but for those who didn’t see it, The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper album is about to have it’s 50th anniversary and various flavours of a remixed version are being released to mark the occasion. There’s a 6 disc boxed set which you can pick up for $370 plus postage from Sanity (slightly cheaper from JB HiFi, but still over priced), OR you can order direct from the official UK Beatles shop for about $150 cheaper after converting from GBP to AUD, including the price of sending the thing to Australia. So although I like to shop locally and prefer to help to keep Australian businesses afloat, there are some instances where the prices are so inflated it just isn’t worth purchasing the product from anywhere but overseas via the Internet. $370 for four audio CDs, a book, a DVD and a Blu-Ray, (with the same content on both the DVD and Blu-ray discs) is ridiculous. Sorry, but the Australia tax has made this particular release not worth the price for what you get. It’s cheaper to buy the boxed set of 2009 remasters on CD and that includes every UK studio album ever released by the group with some bonus CDs thrown in to ensure you also get the tracks that were only released as singles, EP’s and B sides.

3 Likes

I buy household products like toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, dishwashing capsules on line with supply within Australia. The price difference between the supermarket and online is huge, shipping is free.
Any sites I buy from must have PayPal and be secure.So far I have not had any bad experiences.

2 Likes

I buy books online from Amazon, especially books I need for work. I am lucky enough to live in an area that still has bookshops, but I tend to regard bookshop browsing as a leisure activity, so when I simply want specific books, I order, pay and forget about them until they turn up. Local competition for my book $ would be Clouston’s.

Apart from books I buy wine online, from Australian websites. Also occasionally clothes, but only standard things where I already have one the same, as returning things that don’t fit or look right is prohibitively expensive.

Most of my clothes are bought online, especially dresses. :blush:

Be wary of StrawberryNet. I don’t use it so didn’t care, but I recall a Troy Hunt (renowned Australian security researcher) post on the world’s worst secured sites, and StrawberryNet were WAY up there.

I buy some things local, some online/from China. Small tech items are always vastly cheaper from China and the same quality (with the possible exception of phones), whereas I’ve had many failures trying to purchase clothes online (failure meaning significantly not as/worse than described).

1 Like

You are probably buying the same/similar products to that sold here, as so many of our goods are made in China. Just cutting out layers of ‘middlemen’.

1 Like

Yeah, but when arduino widgets cost $1-2 from china or $30-$40 here it’s not much of a choice

1 Like

I completely agree. I do the same. :slight_smile:

I have been shopping on line with Coles for the last few years and do not have too many problems. I usually get everything I order
bar a few times. The only thing that I would like to mention is that Coles do not write the ingredients for many items. So I just do not buy them. They keep on sending me their feed back mail and I keep on writing the same thing
to no avail. Still no ingredients listed on the products. Delivery is cheap.
It is a pity also that they do not have the choice for weight. kg or grammes.
Apart from that it is a good service and no problems with the delivery which is always near the time specified.

Woolworth does not deliver in my area, so can’t compare.

1 Like