Do you shop in Facebook groups?

I would guess that @Kanga2 changed the modem settings to drop any traffic from those sites. That said, Ghostery allows you to add your own filters - as does uBlock Origin.

3 Likes

Right on. Just using a crude blacklist URL filter in the router firewall. It ensures all devices of any type - there are dozens - don’t get to have any fb comms.
I put in in several months ago as an experiment, & excepting a couple of sites having delayed logins (one being a bank !) haven’t noticed problems.
I’ll check your blocker recommendations. I accept some advertising pays for things, but don’t like the tracking aspect.

4 Likes

I live in a small country town and we have literally dozens of Fb buy and sell pages, i have both bought and sold easily with no problems. Some have strict rules, some not.

3 Likes

Once upon a time it was the Trading Post then I had used eBay for many years to sell various items which was particularly good for items that may have a global appeal. I then helped a friend who lived in the Gold Coast hinterland sell the entire contents of her home as she was moving overseas - everything from the lounge to the cheese grater! She did this on a local Facebook buy/swap/sell page and it was overwhelmingly successful. I have since used it locally (in rural Tasmania) and it also works well but would never have considered using it when I lived in Sydney. I also use the NABO website / app. The only problems I have encountered are no shows but you get those for any selling medium and the abbreviations. There are so many that sometimes you need a translator. When selling on the Gold Coast people were responding with “NIL”. We wondered why people were telling us that they weren’t interested in what was being sold until someone told us it meant “Next In Line”. We can laugh about it now but no wonder people were getting cranky!

3 Likes

Hadn’t heard of NABO. Looks interesting, thanks

2 Likes

I enjoy Facebook and the games i play lol,but no i wouldn’t go down that track of buying or selling

1 Like

I buy and sell FB groups such as the the Marketplace and also belong to groups that sell items. My favourite is Handmade Exchange.

I’ve never had any issues. I’m not concerned about trackers, but do enjoy pretty earring made from talented artists and getting rid of unwanted stuff in my home.

2 Likes

I see people also posting “sold” and that seems to come before “NIL”. The way I figure it, it aint sold until you put the money in my hand, and walk off with the goods. Its this kind of thing that made me bail from the buy swap sell groups. I doubt that I would ever buy anything on facebook, but I am looking for somewhere to sell the many cameras I no longer use, and maybe thats the place. Marketplace. Not buyswapsell.

I’ve had lots of success via Gumtree, and my fair share of noshows as well.

2 Likes