Do you need to pay a premium for the best tasting ice cream?

Had never had Bulla icecream before… dont like it much, actually. Now 2L to get through. I’ll save it for really hot days.

1 Like

How about including icecream that hasnt got our old mate processed ( im just going to poison you slowly ) white sugar and god knows what other cheap and nasty poisons are in there to keep it on the shelf and add to the toxicity party
Believe it or not theres actually icecream out there that is good for you as per the old days as long as you burn it off more than add the carbs on. Of course it costs more the ingredients are natural. Pay for good stuff now so you dont have to pay so much on drugs to keep you alive later (-:

Care to share which icecreams fit the bill?

2 Likes

I have made plenty of ice cream, I have read more recipes than I have made. All the ones from “the old days” contain sugar. Generally it is white confectioners’ (caster) sugar. Traditional ice cream is a blend of water, milk fat, sugar, air bubbles and stabilisers like egg and gelatine with flavours added. You need to get the proportions right or it won’t cream up or feel nice in the mouth. Aside from the taste some sugar is part of that alchemy as it helps to break up the ice crystals and give a smooth texture as the mix freezes.

For example “Cookery book of good and tried recipes” by the Women’s missionary association of the Presbyterian Church of New South Wales. First published 1895, I have the 21st edition 1936. The ice cream recipes all have sugar.

Now you can get “new” ice cream that is low or no sugar. It is sweetened by synthetics and has other ingredients added to replace the sugar to get the texture right.

What ice cream from the old days did you have in mind? Do you have a brand name or a recipe?

And BTW the main ingredient that you need to burn off to avoid weight gain is the fat, there are many more kilojoules of fat than sugar in your standard commercial ice cream or home made.

4 Likes

Thats what search engines are for. Preferably not mr google.
Sounds like you have never been to an organic shop. Give it a try you might be enlightened with other healthy or should i say healthier products

I mean it can be argued ANY ice cream is good for you as long as you burn off the energy.

1 Like

@davo, we’d be interested to hear which ice creams you’re referring to, we can even consider including them in our testing next time. Obviously we can all use search engines, we’re just wondeirng if there are any particular brands you are referring to or whether you are talking about small batch or home made alternatives.

1 Like

I used to like Sara Lee Strawberries & Cream ice cream and as I had not seen it for years, I thought it must have been discontinued.

However, whilst buying some Ingham’s Buffalo Wings and Chicken Tenders at Woollies yesterday, I found Sara Lee Strawberry & Cream ice cream in the same freezer aisle.

Obviously it was just Coles deleting products that customers wish to buy as they did with all Ingham’s products.

Woollies got the $55 that Coles obviously did not want.

Coles appears to be replacing all branded stuff with coles brands

1 Like

https://cocofrio.com.au/choc-coconut-2/

Theres a couple of others i get but not so easy to find

You’d be lucky to find the above at the usual suspects
If your a processed sugar addict and after that sweetness being dominant then forget it,
You never know you might be pleasantly surprised that your actually tasting mostly whats supposed to be in it

1 Like

You are keen on things labelled organic. Not everybody is. This may make reaching agreement more difficult. Those who like organic food often hark back to the old days and you do too. As I pointed out in a previous post old recipes are often not so different to new ones.

Let’s have a look at some of the examples that you provided. I will focus on the sugar component but there are other differences.

Pana
This is not technically ice cream as it has no milk fat but other non ice creams were compared so let’s move on. It is sweetened with coconut sugar which is mainly sucrose with some fructose and glucose and impurities. From a diabetic and kilojoule point of view no real difference to white or raw sugar.

OOB
Sweetened with raw sugar.

Cocofrio
Another non dairy product. Sweetened with rice syrup which is high in maltose and low in glucose and fructose. From a diabetic and kilojoule point of view no real difference to white or raw sugar. Rice syrup is still produced in industrial quantities in big factories using heavyweight industrial processes. It is no more or less industrial than white sugar just different.

All claim some relationship to being organic. All these are gluten and egg free. There is no reason for gluten to ever make its way into ice cream but it is fashionable. Egg is a traditional ingredient and leaving it out may be important if you are allergic to eggs. All contain various vegetable gums used as thickening agents and stabilisers, as do commercial ice creams.

What’s the difference between these sugars? Raw sugar is cane sugar that has not had all the colour and flavour impurities removed. It still has some molasses but not as much as brown sugar. Chemically it is almost the same as white sugar, instead of being 99.9% sucrose there are some minor impurities. From the point of view of diabetes or ‘empty calories’ there is no difference.

So what is different? Like commercial ice cream these products are made of highly processed ingredients in factories. Organic buyers like the idea of less processing of food: these foods are not. They all contain fats, water, sugars, thickeners and flavours. They will all send up your blood sugar and unless you burn them off your weight too. If you want less processing make you own ice cream, I guarantee it will have fewer ingredients and none will have numbers on them. But it will have sugar.

If you believe that the impurities included and the source of sugar and the label ‘organic’ mean something to you I can’t argue with that. If you think they taste better then no argument there either.

If you claim these are more healthy than similar formulations with the same amount of white sugar that has not been established. Unless you have some evidence to that effect then let us agree to disagree.

3 Likes

55$in Sara Lee - that’s an impressive ice cream addiction !!!

Give that man a BS Buster bad- oh wait already got it

1 Like

Nah.

3 x Ingham’s Buffalo Wings, 4 x Ingham’s Chicken Tenders, 1 x 1 litre Sara Lee ice cream and 1 piece of discounted porterhouse steak.

That said, both my wife and our new puppy agreed that the strawberry ice crean is fantastic.

He gave it a “two paws up” rating>

Thanks @davo, much appreciated. I’m a fan of coconut ice cream varieties myself, and so for purely selfish reasons would love to see how they stack up.

1 Like

I should have said healthier options. No icecream is good for you, as much as i love milk icecream with milk, milk and cream are a digestive irritant.
So subject to how poisoned you are with white processed sugar and consequently compromised on the taste buds, (when i have it now it just feels like my tongue is burning), will determine if you can enjoy real flavours.
Pana is arguably the best of the lets say commercially healthier options. They actually use real chocolate it their choc icecream. There again is another story for you, who in todays world is actually using real chocolate as their chocolate. Check out Pana chocolate bars, the 80% option is the dogs bollocks as we say in the old country. After 2 chunks and i am one satisfied chappy

1 Like

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Raw milk warning

[redacted, personal attacks / off topic]

And since when have you been the Lord of defining whats icecream

Its not that theres not programs and films telling us, which is fine by me as there would be less and more expensive organic food. If you cant see that food coming from soil which is nutrient dense is going to be better and tastier your deluded, the farmers i get my food from use insect ecology (instead of god knows what chemicals/ poisons they increasing have to use as the soil gets worse and worse), as per THE OLD DAYS.
I should have said healthier icecream as theres no such thing as healthy icecream especially as milk is the main ingredient for most icecream and is a digestive irritant unless its raw milk

[redacted - off topic]

Austramerica here we come
Anyway thats one of my good deeds for the day, almost time for 18 holes.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fructose - A Debate

Not me Food Standards Australia.

If you read the Choice article you would see that to be called “ice cream” a product has to contain a certain amount of milk products. Streets Blue Ribbon is not called ice cream because it doesn’t meet the standard. I did say they were not technically ice cream. This was part of the point of this thread - that taste does not seem to follow the definition or price closely.

As we clearly have no common ground on the nature of fact and evidence there is nothing for me to say about the rest.

4 Likes