"Do not knock" front door sticker and so called "charities"

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: LOVE THIS

3 Likes

We still have a discreet sign up ā€œclose the gate, we have a dogā€ sort of thing; but our mini poodle went to dog heaven a long time ago.

4 Likes

When we moved to remote Australia, we were advised to have a picture of a vicious dog rather than anything written, because a significant segment of the break-in demographic could only ā€˜readā€™ a ā€˜pictureā€™ ā€¦

2 Likes

ā€œunsolicted marketingā€
ā€œunsolicited promotionā€
ā€œunsolicted vendingā€
ā€œunsolicited tradingā€
ā€œunsolicited sellingā€
are terms I put on laminated sign next to our front door (so they have already come thrugh our front gate)

Does someone promoting the concept that I should donate to a charity of their choice (when they are being paid by that charity) belong in the category ā€œunsolicited promotingā€ ? I think it does

6 Likes

These are what I beleive religious groups doā€¦sell, market and promote their own religion. I think that they should also obey the do not knock stickersā€¦I am happy for genuine charties to knock, but not the religious groups which do the above as a form of initiation or to demonstrate their own religious beliefs.

4 Likes

Pity that the Do Not Knock Register Bill 2012 did not become law ā€¦

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2012B00074

2 Likes

Although the law behind a Do Not Knock sticker does not apply to fundraisers for charities, the Fundraising Institute of Australia (FIA) has information for people wishing to make a complaint about charities and fundraisers who are FIA members.

Contact details for FIA https://fia.org.au/contact-us/

2 Likes

Although the law behind Do Not Knock stickers does not apply to researchers, the Research Industry Council of Australia (RICA) recommends that if you have a problem with a market research company that door-knocks, you can complain complaining directly to the research company in question or the industry Surveyline on 1300 364 830.

Contact details for RICA http://www.rica.com.au/contact

2 Likes

The Australian Consumer Law (ACL) doesnā€™t let us bar market research company employees, volunteers/employees of registered charity, and marketing workers/volunteers for registered political parties.
=> but there are other laws which allow us to control who enters our residential properties (also business properties). So I can refuse entry, and if they have already entered I can insist that they leave.
(Obviously not talking about employees of local government , telecommunication carrier, state or federal government department which have defined entry rights).

2 Likes

I agree. The ā€˜do not knockā€™ sign was not sufficient to keep them at bay. Had to put up the ā€˜no canvassers, thank youā€™ sign and so far has worked!

3 Likes

I was constantly being interrupted at my front door by the Jehovahā€™s Witnesses and the Mormons even though I had a sticker on the front door telling them not to. Nothing worked at all but I purchased a large sticker of a rainbow flag and put it on the door. I AM gay so am not lying. I have never been disturbed since.

4 Likes

Great move! Until I put up a ā€œNo Canvassingā€ sign, they said ā€œwe are not selling anythingā€!

2 Likes

Yes, they retreated so fast I think they thought it was contagious. I watched them from my balcony. It was hilarious!!

The ACCC Do Not Knock stickers (https://www.accc.gov.au/publications/door-to-door-do-not-knock-sign) donā€™t apply to charities or religious groups. Does any recognised body make a Do Not Knock sticker that does apply to charities and religious groups?

Personally I think door knocking by salespeople, charities and religious groups to be an invasion of my privacy. I think it creates unnecessary opportunities for fraudsters. I recognise that not everyone sees it like I do but surely those that do should be able to avoid it?

2 Likes

Some years ago I saw a plastic sign in a variety shop which might suit.

"This home guarded by 12 gauge shotgun 3 nights a week.

You guess which 3".

Perhaps some rewording would do the trick.

1 Like

This thread has some more information about do not knock and charities, religious groups and electoral candidates/sitting members.

Even a sticker indicating such is unlikely to stop most of these group knockingā€¦as they can lawfully go to oneā€™s front door and knock. More information can be found here:

https://donotknock.consumeraction.org.au/charities-religious-callers-market-researchers-and-the-do-not-knock-sticker/

To also have legal right to exclude such parties by signage, one would need a change in the law.

The easiest way to keep them out would be to have a locked front gateā€¦with a buzzer/camera. If one decides to have a locked gate, one will need to consider and allow utilities and other authorities to legally enter oneā€™s property for the carrying out of their activities.

1 Like

As mentioned above you can provide a more strict policy about entry to your property. By simply placing a ā€œDo not Enterā€, or ā€œNo entryā€ or ā€œAuthorised Entry Onlyā€ or similar intention sign at the entry/entries to your property you can remove all implied rights to enter. This does not stop authorised entry eg by Council but it does mean that ones like charities and religious organisations would be committing trespass on entering your property (this includes if you are renting).

4 Likes

A locked front gate is what a lot of gated communities do in practice.
They provide code/key for their local government, Australia Post, ambulance service, fire service, police, electricity meter reader, water meter reader, et al.

2 Likes

Definitely going to get some ā€œNo Unauthorised Entryā€ or ā€œAuthorised Entry Onlyā€ signs.

3 Likes

I finally put up a ā€œNo Canvassers. Thank you!ā€ plastic sign. No hassles so far!

4 Likes