"Do not knock" front door sticker and so called "charities"

While I haven’t checked, I would be highly surprised if the police didn’t have the necessary powers to knock on ones door, irrespetive if someone places a sign or not. When it comes to entering the property to obtain evidence or determine if a past crime has been committed, this is a different matter. If a crime is in progress (such as domestic violende), then I would expect they would also have the necessary powers to enter to prevent the crime/continuation of the crime. Not doing so goes against the basic principles of policing.

Hypothetically, if a seller was having a heart attack and knocked on your do not knock door, then I expect they wouldn’t be trepassing as the purpose of the knock is not to sell you something but to save their own life. If one didn’t answer, then this is something one would have to live with for the rest of their life.

2 Likes

Oh that such wickedness could be!

3 Likes

If a sign doesn’t work, anyone know where you can get these little markers? I have the tool to make the holes …

… or maybe some crime scene tape :wink:

6 Likes

Wait a moment! What if you’re the person with the ‘do not knock’ sign, having the heart attack, and the person knocking on the door is a pacemaker sales-person - or one of those door-to-door surgeons that are becoming a bit of a craze lately? Except they didn’t knock because you told them not to…

Then there’s the predicament faced by the poor pizza delivery agent. You ordered the pizza (presumably), said where it was to be delivered, and now that they’re at your front door they face a sign saying ‘DO NOT KNOCK!’ Should they check your phone number and ring you to say that your pizza is out the front? Maybe they can just ring the doorbell? Or yell really loudly that “Your pizza’s here, man! You ordered extra pepperoni?”

2 Likes

I usually beat the pizza delivery person to the front door and welcome them like an old friend :wink:

6 Likes

Well, I can see this appearing on the ABC’s War on Waste…all the wasted pizza piling up behind the Pizza Hut and Domino stores. I am sure we can find an angle to blame the bIg supermarkets for this as well.

But seriously, this is a solicited engagement with the pizza boy. Wasn"t there a movie made about this?

4 Likes

Many - none I can think of we should discuss on this forum !! :wink:

3 Likes

The Pizza Guy
Pizza Guys
Pizza Gals
Pizza Gals 2
Pizza Gals do Dallas
Sausage Party

Actually, this (largely SFW?) article from 2016 really takes the cheese! The report seems baseless, but I assume the reporter was asked to find something saucy.

Why did I search for this stuff? And why am I surprised I found the answer courtesy of a British tabloid?

2 Likes

I had that problem at first, but I just added Couriers etc excepted
Havent had problem since

6 Likes

I realise a lot of people don’t like charities knocking on their door & that there are exceptions as to why they are allowed to continue to do this.
I’m not a fan but really don’t mind them knocking. They are not salespeople trying to sell me something, they are just asking for a donation to help make a difference. Occasionally one of them tries to “overcome my objection” but it really isn’t that bad in my own personal experience.
I politely explain that I only donate to a few charities but not theirs.
Ask them not to knock again.
Wish them all the best.
I haven’t had the same charity come back after this.

I hope this helps those in the meantime as they are not breaking the law for now & it looks unlikely to change in the near future.
I think the government has a lot moe important issues to address than this.
Best wishes

6 Likes

I really object to these visitors. On most occasions they are on the payroll of a collection agent and get up to 30% of the money they collect. The agency then takes their cut and sometimes the charity receives only 15 cents in the dollar. In my opinion they are despicable and I refuse to donate to them.

I am on a disability pension so can only donate to a handful of charities. I have selected five and donate by monthly instalments as a direct debit. It also irks me when these charities that I already donate to keep asking for more “one off” donations. They also sell their list of donors to other charities who then pester me.

I am considering stopping these direct debits for this reason.

10 Likes

Most of the charities use 3rd party donation processors that take their cut from processing cards and debits, sometimes an unexpectedly high cut. It appears that for most charitable giving the only way to assure a 3rd party is not getting a cut is to ‘walk in’ with cash in hand.

The processors are usually up front, but not always visibly up front, about their commercial relationships with the charities.

One popular platform a number of charities use is mycause.com.au. They do provide value added so I am not picking on them, but use them to make the point. Perhaps their pricing for charities (see below) could be considered a bit opaque?

mycause charges 5% commission plus bank fees of 2.9% for personal cause crowdfunding. It is free to start a campaign and there are no ongoing monthly fees. Rates for charity online fundraising may vary.

7 Likes

Charities are the perfect example that governments fail to support the people. It also shows that large companies that pay no tax are also depriving the less fortunate of funds. I am constantly hounded for donations via email, mail and many other means. I have solved the door knock intrusion with a 1.8 metre solid gate and fence, 2 blue cattle dogs and made the gate electronic with a buzzer video and intercom (Uniden). much easier to say no.

5 Likes

I have never had one collector be upfront about who is getting their slice of the pie. I always ask but they are hesitant to respond so I don’t donate to anyone at my front door.

6 Likes

Yeah I switch of any sympathy/empathy when it comes to any attempts at pressure selling, whether it’s a new product, churning me to a new provider, or a charity. You just tell them no/not interested a couple times, then if needed hang up/shut the door.

3 Likes

Here’s another suggestion - if you don’t want to make the donation/buy the raffle ticket just tell them you are a regular donor to a number charities and that you have already spent your donation budget for the year. Easy peasy.

4 Likes

Good luck with that one. Some of the collectors are worse than the Jehovah’s Witness.

2 Likes

Have pity. :wink:

2 Likes

I will never donate to any charity which ignores a “Do Not Knock” notice or the “Do Not Call Register”. There are a number of elderly and frail persons living in their own homes who are at risk trying to respond to unsolicitored door knockers or phone calls. I have witnessed this first hand as a full time carer, causing falls and/or attempting to extort donations from a dementia sufferer. I prefer to donate anonymously and forgo any tax deductions to prevent any additional requests. If charities need donations then respect the privacy and limitations of their donors by not on-selling donors details, not making more than one request a year, and by not engaging collectors to personally harass those who already donate by door knocking.
We need a third category of collectors ie “Do Not Post”.

7 Likes

Charities are exempt from the Do Not Call register

5 Likes