Dishwashers vs hand washing - which is the most efficient?

I agree - the up front carbon cost of a paper plate is certainly greater than the return from putting it back into the environment no matter how sensitively the return to planet earth is done.

Some of us might have very fixed ideas on efficiency while others a broader view that centres around sustainability. I favour a broader view in any comparison testing. Some of us can choose to neglect certain measures, however it is not so easy if something you need to consider is left out.

We are fortunate that Choice’s testing criteria are technically comprehensive. I’ll be watching with interest how Choice’s wonderful test staff respond to sustainability. These staff have shown they can provide useful advice and assessment of more subjective issues such as accessibility, controls etc.

The question on dish washing shows there is diversity of views and many measures that may be important. There are differences in environmental impacts of our decisions. Without judging one solution and method to be absolute it demonstrates to me that Choice has an opportunity to stretch it’s comparison testing to help us all decide what is best for our individual circumstances.

In respect of washing things in general it would be great to have a relative comparison of the impact of water usage vs energy/electricity usage. Eg front loading clothes washers use less water but take longer to wash and may use more energy compared to a top loader. My gran did all her washing by hand. The hot water came from a wood fired copper!

More than one of our Choice friends hand washes most of their dishes. There is therefore an argument that to hand wash and line dry all our clothes, sheets etc is more efficient than using a washing machine and heated drier.

Is Brendan Mays playing with our minds here when this topic was kicked off?

4 Likes

A Choice article regarding what can and can’t be washed in a dishwasher.

2 Likes

Better yet, use potato-based plates (yes it’s a thing), and then rather than washing or mulching your plates, just eat them! Don’t like potato? no problem - grab some bacon, weave it together, squash between two bowls and microwave it - voila! (or as the French say, voila!) edible crispy bacon bowl. Sure, you’ve got to wash the two ‘moulds’, but you can make multiple bacon bowls with just two of them.

5 Likes

Well i tried your recent dishwash liquid and aldi is great it removes built on grime with hot water and soak.

. This one which you guys reviewed i go with. My own personal review is 90 percent. In fact it really removed the coating of an old metal baking dish which i hadnt seen as clean until now. Proves carefully selecting the right liquid does it job.

4 Likes