Digital ID

I did not make any assumption of what you had since I did not know. However a Digital ID including a passport is still not The Passport.

As I previously posted

3 Likes

The AP digital ID is interestingā€¦they say over 100+ partner organisations, but donā€™t say who they are except Australia Postā€¦

Your Digital iDā„¢ can be used to verify yourself with our growing list of partner organisations, enter licence venues across Australia and to collect parcels at participating Australia Post retail outlets.

Typical Australia Postā€¦gone downhill IMHO since Christine Holgate was sacked

I just received my first official digital document from the Feds. Using the download option so it can be readily displayed (or printed) it looks pretty straight forward to replicate. The only check would be going back to the issuing agency with the document reference number. Not so different from making a paper forgery although more environmentally friendly?

OTOH security when presenting it through the app appears to be a decent effort IFF the party requiring the digital document understands that and accepts it as being better security than paper or plastic.

Therein lies an aspect of the issue @TimmyTonsil raised.

With digital documents proliferating I can imagine every agency (or at least each government) doing their own thing with their own apps their own ways, and since each will ā€˜have it perfectā€™ they will probably all be different. :expressionless:

4 Likes

An interesting discussion. Iā€™ve never used a digital ID to establish identity initially. Itā€™s coming with driverā€™s licenses. When being asked for proof of ID the norm has been certified copies or presentation of originals in person. Some institutions are then happy to simply use a less direct personal verification process there after. A few require updated full submissions on an ongoing basis every few years.

Two observations or questions. These may apply equally to the traditional paper way or digital alternatives including voice recognition.

Are there two elements to proving identity?

1. Evidence the identity details provided are of a real person and conform in all details (no alteration) to that real person,
  2. Evidence that I am that person and not some look alike or imposter, especially for subsequent transactions.

Iā€™ll note that for over the counter transactions the bank now asks consistently for my drivers license despite an ability to use my card and pin at the counter. Iā€™m assuming the bank staff can bring up a matching photo ID to be sure the DL has a reliable photo?

Secondly, to what personal details or services does a bank or other entity have access to independently verify the documentation provided is correct in all details? Initially and subsequently.

This opens a third point/question. Are some of the protections only effective after the fact, which may explain how the system sometimes fails?

In the instance there are failures, is it public knowledge how often this has been occurring with the old ways, and for comparison how often with the new ways as they come into more regular use?

1 Like