Dengue Fever Eradication News

An article regarding dengue fever having been eradicated in FNQ after more than a century and the process now being rolled out in other countries.

Great stuff.

2 Likes

It appears that this program needs to be rolled out in some other areas as a matter of extreme urgency.

2 Likes

A concerning article regarding the anti-dengue vaccine Dengvaxia in the Philippines.

1 Like

This may be a case of coincidence, ie the children already had Dengue before they received the vaccine. This prior infection may have led to the majority of hospitalisations and deaths rather than the vaccine, I think we may have to await further investigations before it is able to be more clearly stated what the real reason/s are.

From the article:

"Meanwhile, former Health Sec. Janette Garin has once again emphasized that she is ready to face any liabilities in case the Dengvaxia vaccines can be proven to cause negative side effects to individuals without prior dengue infection.

“Sa parte ko naman ay paninidigan ko na ito ay deisisyon ng buong institution, ginawa namin base sa datos ng panahon na iyon at base sabatayan na patuloy nadumarami ang nagkaka-dengue at ito ay walang gamot,”said Garin.

(For my part, I affirm that this was the decision of the whole institution. We did it based on the available data at that time, and on the fact that the number of dengue infections was increasing, and that there was no cure.)"

2 Likes

The same program is being rolled out in Brazil but is obviously desperately need in many other regions.

1 Like

An article regarding researches having developed a mosquito which is immune to all 4 strains of dengue fever.

Great stuff.

What about?

• Ross River Fever,
  • Barmah Forest Virus,
  • Murray River Encephalitis,
  • Etc

Just don’t get bitten.