Dell product advertised but not available in Australia

I want to buy a Laptop preconfigured with Ubuntu from an Australian retailer. After a bit of research, I found that Dell have a product that suits my needs. The Precision 5520. Great! It’s advertised on Dell’s Australian website by Dell Australia Pty Limited.

There is a link to purchase which I duly clicked. After selected the options I wanted I proceeded to the checkout. However, I could not purchase the product as I had been redirected to the US store. No problem! I will go back to the Australian store and try again.

Unfortunately, this is where my story ends: Not only was the option for Ubuntu not available, as advertised, but the price had gone from about $2800 USD to about $8000 AUD (around double). At that price, it would be cheaper for me to fly to the US and buy it myself.

Anyone got any ideas on what I can do?

Buy it in US through a third party service. Some of these have been noted on this site. They will add a small cost for their service and they will send it on to you. Have a look at this Choice comparison of the services https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/online-shopping/buying-online/articles/shopmate-and-us-freight-forwarding-services

2 Likes

Oh, yes I remember hearing about this. I wonder how it would work if I was leasing the equipment. I’ve asked my accountant. Thanks for your help!

1 Like