Dehumidifier fire risk?

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has just issued a recall on two million dehumidifiers, sold under at least 20 brand names, over concerns the products can overheat and cause fires. At least 107 incidents have been reported to the CPSC, totaling $US17 ($23) million in property damage.
Are any of these products sold in Australia, and are all models sold in Australia safe?
I asked this question of the ACCC but all I got back was template mumbo jumbo with no indication that they even cared. How do I find out if the products sold in Australia are safe? Given that I think the US products were made in Taiwan one would reasonable expect that the products sold in Australia would all have the same fire risk?

3 Likes

Would you be able to post a link to the advisory. The ACCC is not noted for being proactive.

Some others on the community may be able to relate to the brands or specific defects identified as ‘at risk’ of causing fires.

It’s worth noting Australia has different electrical standards and house wiring when compared with the USA. Electrical products imported into Australia need to meet our standards. It may be up to Choice to pursue the matter further, if there is evidence products imported into Australia have similar defects. It may be the same issues are not likely because of the differences in standards?

2 Likes

I’ll second that.

1 Like

This is it:

Just a quick scan, De’Longhi models are available in Australia…I haven’t checked the whole list though as many brands are foreign to me. Maybe a exercise for @Fred123 if he has time.

2 Likes

It appears there are some similar model numbers sold here but it is difficult to match with the US/Canda/Mexico units that are subject to the recall. I have contacted the manufacturer (New Widetech) to see if they can supply a list that identifies any re-badged for our market.

An example of one I found here that may match OS ones WDH-070EBP

RDH70EB 70-pint
RDH70EB-1 70-pint
RDH70EDP 70-pint
3 Likes

Also a concern is the significant range of multi branded products out of the same factory.
Why the ACCC could not have done promptly as

It’s not that hard to ask and follow up formally by written exchange. Or is it?

3 Likes

Two Million Dehumidifiers With Well-Known Brand Names Recalled Due to Fire and Burn Hazards; Manufactured by New Widetech. The recall was made by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission August 4, 2021
The url for the recall is https://cpsc.gov/Recalls/2021/two-million-dehumidifiers-with-well-known-brand-names-recalled-due-to-fire-and-burn
Also look at https://www.recallrtr.com/nwtdehumidifier/
And http://www.newwidetech.com/en/news.php?act=view&id=9
I googled just one of the EUR [european?] model numbers (WDH-610HA) and found that it is sold in Australia under names Ausclimate, Ionmax & NWT.

4 Likes

This article suggest that

New Widetech is a Chinese manufacturer of Dehumidifiers that are widely sold in Australia by brands such as De’Longhi, Haier who also own Fisher & Paykel and Whirlpool.

I see that Ausclimate is another manufactured by New Widetech. There could be more.

4 Likes

The answer from NWT is

“ Hi,

This is an impossible, the specification of both US and Australian are total different. Please take note. Thank you”

I guess 110V to 230V is enough but it seems very similar models just different voltages. One for the ACCC to investigate throughly (I am joking of course until the units start bursting into flame).

I have reported the issue by phone to the ACCC, maybe they will go further now.

6 Likes

Of further note, it would appear this is not a new problem. The following article from 2017 refers to previous recalls if more than 5 million dehumidifiers.

It stretches credibility that such a common repeat problem cannot occur in similar products sold in Australia. I’ve been searching for a technical explanation as to the cause of the overheating in the recent USA recall. No luck so far. It may relate to reliability of the over temperature protection for the compressor installed in refrigerant type dehumidifiers.

3 Likes

Products in the USA are 110-120v (only) so the power supplies would be different than our 230-240v variety. I could be so simple as their power supplies being under rated for the job or because All of the recalled dehumidifiers were manufactured in China they used a common substandard part that failed causing the problem.

Considering the Takata airbag problem affected so many brands that used it, it is also conceivable the recall problem can be traced back to a common cause/source, but we will probably never know.

5 Likes