Dangerous Smoke Alarms: Australia behind the curve (as usual)

As usual it seems business interests and the dollar in a pocket mentality so prevalent in our government is dictating whether ionisation smoke alarms are dangerous or not…

https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/consumer/2018/06/19/smoke-alarms-ionisation-photoelectric/

6 Likes

https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/By-topic/Smoke-alarms/Ionization-vs-photoelectric

By chance, we have both ionising and photoelectric installed in out house.

5 Likes

Has Australia through inaction also been used as a dumping ground for yesterday’s tech? Ionisation smoke alarms, the ones with the radiation sticker.

Yes we are behind the curve. With timber the dominant material in nearly all houses and modern flammable furnishings common it makes us look a bit backward.

It would appear that while Australia had the knowledge we did not have the initiative to legislate.

And what do we do with all those radioactive warning labelled detectors we need to bin?
https://www.qld.gov.au/about/newsroom/smoke-alarm-legislation

Queensland, don’t know about other states has legislated for smoke alarms to be mandatory in all dwellings, You need to have them in nearly every room and interconnected! Certainly at the front of the pack, and great if it can also call the fire crew every time it alarms. Maybe?

This will save lives. It will also for some existing properties be very expensive to retrofit. As for pool safety fencing it is not an option, although the cut off date to comply is several state elections distant.

p.s. It may be that PE type detectors alone are not the best solution? It may not count. The honorable members of the Qld one humped camel state parliament have already decided for us.

3 Likes

My opinion based on unscientific sampling of myself is that Australia has and remains a dumping ground for virtually any product category that is past its time.

When the world was moving to DVDs and PVRs the venerable VHS remained a local staple; same with analogue TVs, then SD TVs and PVRs were sold for yonks while HD was rolling in.

My Citroen reflected that it was probably ‘leftovers’ from the UK market. Its ‘hi tech’ (as they advertised at the time) features had been superseded in the rest of the world. While the world got Pod plugs and the CD was going the way of vinyl we got a CD changers and no external input (that input was available for an addition $500+).

And so we go as a place where virtually any business appears to be able to offload its excess end-of-life production with the only exception maybe the fickleness of fashion.

5 Likes

I agee with you “The BBG”, I read an article on the ABC website about CSIRO tests on the smoke alarms. The result is that ionisation type are so slow reacting to a fire that they are dangerous and photoelectric are far safer. There is little publicity about this and our wonderful NCC/BCC does not require the safer photoelectric alarms to be installed, so I would suspect that most, if not all new houses have ionisation type alarms installed.
After reading the ABC article I checked the smoke alarms in my own house - they are all ionisation type so I have bought new photoelectric smoke alarms and will be fitting them in the next few days!
Could Choice do a comprehensive test of photoelectric smoke alarms so that a wider range can be considered?
One last warning - check the date of the Australian Standard compliance the latest is AS3786-2014 anything earlier than that is not compliant in some States!

5 Likes

Possibly the ionising detectors have been around for longer than the photoelectric ones. When we purchased of first set of fire detectors, the ionising ones were the only ones available.

More recent building work on the house meant that we had to install a battery backup, hard wired photoelectric one, to have the building work certified.

We keep both maintained/operational as their are disadvantages/advantages or both types.

Until ionising ones (or maybe photoelectric ones if something better becomes available in the future) are banned by either state (under their fire protection lefislation) or federal government (under import of radioactive products legislation), they will continue to be sold.

I also beleive that a well maintained, operational ionising detector is still better than no detector at all. This is something that seems to be missed in the discussion about the type of detectors.

4 Likes

That is definitely the case, but why allow inferior products to continue to be offered along side better ones for the replacement/new installation (in old houses) market when the world that we usually follow has ‘gone there’ already?

3 Likes

I love how 5 year old news suddenly gets regurgitated as a current story.
It has been well know for many years that all homes should have photoelectric smoke alarms and it also doesn’t hurt to have at least one of both types ionisation and photoelectric as they both have advantages in reacting to different types of fires.

What is more concerning in my opinion is the number of smoke alarms that are over 10 years old in peoples home and should be simply updated, because although they will successfully test their operational efficiency is downgraded…

4 Likes

Regardless of the merit of having one of each type if you are a Queenslander there is only one option. For new dwellings, renovations or rentals the changed obligations are already in place or on shorter time lines.

Following is an extract from the current Queensland legislated requirements for existing owner occupied dwellings. Very simply you can only install replacement or new smoke detectors if they are photo-electric in Queensland. I’m not aware of a ban on the sale of the older ionising type in Queensland. In respect of consumer law it would be interesting to know the exact legal position of the retailer involved with any sale of an item that cannot be legally installed as of 01 January 2017.

For existing dwellings
From 1 January 2017

Existing smoke alarms manufactured more than 10 years ago must be replaced with photoelectric smoke alarms which comply with Australian Standards (AS) 3786-2014. (Note: the date should be stamped on the back)
Smoke alarms that do not operate when tested must be replaced immediately.
Existing hardwired smoke alarms that need replacement, must be replaced with a hardwired photoelectric smoke alarm.
It is also recommended that:
    smoke alarms be either hardwired or