Skechers Shoes - which models should Australian Consumers assess with care before purchase?

Do what I did with my almost new pair and place them in the bin

1 Like

Ha Ha! I could too, I guess. But, surprisingly I have found that the soles vary in stickiness depending on the cleanliness of the surface. A bit of dust is helpful.

2 Likes

Never had a problem with Skechers and I own several pairs.

1 Like

I also have had an issue with slipping while wearing Sketchers. Other sneakers do not have that issue is 20/20 hindsight.

2 Likes

They are good only for indoor slippers Sketchers, nothing elseā€¦

1 Like

I am so glad I found this site and this article. I bought two pairs of Skechers GoWalk lace-ups last winter and have worn them numerous times - and enjoyed their comfort so much I went a couple of days ago to the Skechers Shop at my local Shopping Centre (Carindale, Brisbane) to look for another pair. Just after arriving - and whilst walking briskly - I experienced a violent trip forward - and just regained my balance. As I made my way around the Centre this happened several times. Each time this occurred as I stepped out with one foot - and was then pulled up abruptly - as if one foot was glued to the floor. As I do walk quickly my momentum caused my body to plunge forward and then struggle to stay upright.
It was weird and frightening and I had never experienced anything like it before.
I am in my 70s and work hard at keeping fit - and keeping good balance - but each time this happened
I felt as if I had come perilously close to a bad fall - which could be disastrous.
After around the 5th or 6th time it happened I began to feel quite distressed - even wondering if something was suddenly wrong with me which was affecting my walking. I decided to abandon the shopping. I left the Centre - and although I then walked quite a long distance to the bus stop over hard surfaces I had no further problems.
Thinking about it later that day I decided to do a bit of searching on line - and to my great relief - and also with a degree of anger - I read about the problems that these shoes had reportedly caused many others - both here and in the US.
It appears that it could be something to do with the particular sole of Skechers GoWalk and their interaction with some
types of floor surfaces which I had not encountered before. I have polished timber floors in my home and have never had any problem there - or anywhere else.
I would hope that by now Skechers have remedied it - as their Shoes are super comfortable. Unfortunately it does mean I will have to throw out the ones I already have.
I would appreciate it if anyone has an update on this matter.

4 Likes

I have worn Skechers slip ons for years without issue. However Go Walks I started to notice them catching on the floor when I was walking, WALKING. I should have thrown them in the trash. Tripped and fell WALKING yesterday and going to urgent care now. Severe pain in my foot and I can barely walk now. Will be looking for a class action lawsuit to join, could have been MUCH WORSE.

5 Likes

You will find many lawyers across the USA as well as near Fishermenā€™s Wharf (AT&T has a broad reach) who might be amenable to helping you on contingency. Skechers has lost previous and now dated class actions for false advertising. In recent times there have been many lawsuits involving Skechers (USA) about patent infringement and trade issues but apparently not defective shoes that I can find.

1 Like

I have had the same problem whilst working in the exact situation polished timber floor my foot stopped and I nearly tripped it was pretty scary. Im not sure if eva soles which is commonly used in molded shoes like go walk max privy or even rivers brand similar material. I also found walking on concrete where it is still wet just after rain is slippery. Ive nearly slipped and it is the material. Previously more shoes bad rubber soles i never remember slipping or tripping compared to now.

3 Likes

Two falls thanks to: 1 Shoe sole acting like suction cap on polished floor and 2, Toe catching on polished floor. Both times, like other contributors, walking.
WALKING!
Have worn these shoes in mud, on rocks, wet wood and uneven surfaces and have no complaints.
But go into a supermarket or shopping arcade or other venue with clean, highly polished - non-slip - floors and itā€™s a different and unwelcome story.
If I mention this to anyone they seem have experienced this themselves or known others who were injured. And the reference is always to Skechers; no other brand mentioned.
My shoes are GoWalk 6.

6 Likes

I am 70 and in the US. The two lawsuits are not related to Skechers GO WALK shoes which is what I have been wearing and tripping with. One place was the Chase Center in San Francisco where the inside floors are highly polished. My shoes kept catching the floor. I had to walk with exaggerated high steps. The other place was in a Target store on linoleum on a damp (had rained the day before). I fell and tried to catch myself; ended up landing on and breaking my left upper arm bone in two places. Ultimately, I had to have reverse shoulder replacement surgery. I think the front part of the shoe under the ball of the foot is where it is catching. I have not problem walking on concrete or dirt pathways with them.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @msorfali, and thank you for your contribution.

Hi msorfali
Itā€™s interesting to red that other people have had the same experience as myself wearing Sketchers Go walk on highly polished tiled floors, though, fortunately, I didnā€™t have a painful bone breakage like you. I hope you have recovered successfully from your fall.

3 Likes

Go walk max privy amd the likes seem to slip of outside on some surfaces eg wet footpaths or as you say tiles in entrance to shopping centres. Got no idea why it happens. Also had, a, few times here in my kitchen floor including other floors they get stuck causing one to trip nearly. Ots pretty frightening when not expecting to go forward. I had heard people have had put a, case against the shoes i remember seeing. Ive never had any other shoes, where get caught or slip

Thank you. I am recovering. Still about another month before I can drive. In the meantime, I am under of w Hao h shoes are good for not catching. ā€œNon-slipā€ implies that the soles will grab which is not what I want.
Any recommended brands and styles would be appreciated.

My Skechers have also hit the bin. I have tripped due to height and contour of the soul plus the problem of depth perception I think. If you are walking, and your soles arenā€™t visible from above, itā€™s easy to misjudge. This is particularly dangerous when crossing roads and stepping up to the kerb on the other side.

2 Likes

I have pair of Skechers tennis shoes and I have been tripping with themā€¦ i am 71 years old and never fall today I was st Macy and trip and fell with the Skechers shoes. I am returning the new pair I just bought.

2 Likes

Hi @Viviantez, welcome to the community.

I have moved your post to an existing thread which other consumers have also outlined similar problems with the Sketches shoes they have purchased.

It appears that Sketches either have poorly designed some of its shoes or using new sole materials which are ā€˜gripperā€™ than usual (when compared to other shoes).

4 Likes

I trip on the front of GoWalks and have finally given up on my favorite shoes after burying my mother due to a trip, fall, head injury.

I now buy other shoes and put the cheapest memory foam soles in. Just as comfy. And I buy other toes of sketchers. Just not GoWalks.

1 Like

Hi @Lynet, welcome to the community.
So sad to hear about your mum.

Have you had an opportunity to take your Sketchers back to the retailer and raise your concerns they may not be fit for purpose?

Independent of what brand of footwear one is wearing trips and falls are very common especially as we age. One in 3 Australians aged over 65 will have experienced a fall in the previous 12 months.

Of course some of us can be too proud to look at our own circumstances and accept our footwear may be a lesser concern.

There are many reasons why we might trip or fall. Itā€™s common health advice to seek a medical assessment as to why we might be at greater risk, and how to manage the risks.

P.S.
I find all types of slip ons including thongs a poor fit.
I can still manage lace ups and have the mobility to do so. Perhaps Sketchers are not that popular in Australia?

Podiatry services can help. Some may be covered by Medicare. (edit - Most relevant to those posting and living in Australia.)
https://www.anzfallsprevention.org/info/