⚠ Dangerous goods! - Help name our new category *POLL now open

We’re getting ready to welcome a new category to the Community, and we’d like your help to name it. This category is intended to help highlight goods or services that come with a particular safety risk.

While we already have a recalls category, some recalls have limited implications for most readers while other products probably should be recalled but for whatever reason are left on sale. We’d like this category to cast a wider net on the issue of product safety.

As always, we can go with the most direct name for the category, or something more creative - the choice is yours. Leave a suggestion below, and later we’ll run a poll to decide the winners.

*EDIT There were so many good naming options, we had to include them in the poll. IT will close 5:30pm AEST, next week 8th December. Vote now!

• Caveat emptor
  • Buyer beware
  • Danger zone
  • Dangerous goods!
  • Dangerous consumer goods and services
  • Miscellaneous dangerous goods
  • Danger!
  • It broke me!
  • NOT a good Choice
  • Warning - Hazardous goods area
  • Perilous products
  • Danger: Dodgy dealings
  • Dodgy doodads
  • Wonky wares
  • Buyer beware alert!
  • Safe… not!

0 voters

7 Likes

“Caveat Emptor”.

“Danger Zone”.

“Buyer Beware”.

“Extreme Caution Necessary”.

'Forewarned Is Forearmed".

4 Likes

Simply “Dangerous Consumer Goods and Services” with an explainer in the Section of what Dangerous in this context means.

9 Likes

Consumer Products that should be Recalled?

What ever the option selected the current working title may not be all that helpful if searching from outside the Choice Community. Following is what Google might return.

Just a thought about the usefulness or otherwise of the final choice and steering interest to Choice.

It may be useful to describe the topic as being specific to consumer products. There are many dangerous goods out there that consumers do not purchase, but may still be of a broader community concern. Industrial wastes across a broad spectrum as well as many products restricted to commercial operations. The last two may be of general community interest or well held community concerns. Is the topic intended to be that broad, or should these be reserved for a different topic if they arise?

4 Likes

10 Likes

In the modern world where icons and cartoons are replacing user manuals (I often struggle), why not

It would also separate the real programmers from the programmers in the index and hamburger menu displays groups :laughing:

9 Likes

It broke me!

3 Likes

Hi there I noticed bunnings have a product recall section. I have never seen any other retailer mention faulty goods. I far t why not call the new name faulty goods with the danger symbol showing electrical hazards exist. Maybe let the guys at choice know bunnings are, quite good with recall items

4 Likes

We want it in ASCII art, of course.

3 Likes

“NOT a good Choice”

“Use at your own peril”

“You have been warned”

“Avoid this”

“Warning - Hazardous Goods area”

7 Likes

Purchases at your peril.

Perilous products

Hazardous Goods

It is a hard one to come up with as the Dangerous Goods (or Products) hits the nail on the head itself.

7 Likes

I like this one! Maybe with a logo/icon for quick appeal??

5 Likes

Seems self evident or maybe a push poll from Choice

Drum roll

11 Likes

@BrendanMays simple is good, no need to play on words etc for this one. You pretty much nailed it in the opening post but would include ‘services’ as someone else suggested if it’s your intention to actually include them.

5 Likes

I thought of this one

DANGER: - “DODGY DEALINGS”

5 Likes

Dodgy doodads.

4 Likes

Warning: Goods or Services Minefield!

5 Likes

Wonky Wares
Wicked Wares
Sinister Stuff

5 Likes

I think you have to be careful about the legal implications of labelling something as dangerous. But I can’t see anything wrong with calling attention to a perceived problem.

BUYER BEWARE ALERT!

That would call attention to the possibility of danger, and if you wanted to add sub-categories, it would be easy to do so. For example, health (toxic), danger to children (small parts), property damage (substances that stain or scar furniture or appliances).

The Danger icon is good, and you could add suitable icons for the categories.

You could even use your red light /amber light to indicate the degree of danger.

9 Likes

That’s good @patsmckelvey . :heavy_check_mark:

2 Likes