Custom Security Metal Doors - issues and questions

Hi there, new to the forum ! I have been receiving quotes for Metal Security doors and the prices I am being quoted seem to be very expensive not just for the doors but installation. Does anyone have any tips or ideas for more reasonably priced companies or ways of reducing these costs.

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @realoyd

Could you provide some insights on how much those amounts are, and your location? An expensive price in Melbourne could be a cheap one in Alice for clarity.

Beyond DIY installation if one is able it would seem counter-productive to take any shortcut on a security door to save money, unless of course it is mainly decorative.

3 Likes

They can be expensive to install if they are done properly. The fitting often requires much more resilent/robust/strong supports for the doors. You can have the strongest door but if the doorway is lacking the door can be quickly rendered useless as a security device.

3 Likes

There are a number of door styles available from major hardware outlets. Many are deceptively branded and promoted.

There is an Australian Standard, AS5039-2008 Security screen doors and security window grilles. If the product does not have an attached AS certification from the manufacturer and installation instructions it is not a security screen door. The doors or screens also need to be installed according to the manufacturer’s specification to comply with the standard. The supplier should include details of the minimum requirements in an installation manual supplied with each purchase.

There are many inferior products advertised that look and sound like they are the same.
EG - not a security door.

One main difference is the locking system. AS rated security doors require a triple or three point locking system. The frames and mountings also need to meet minimum design ratings and tests.

There is no need to know the standard. The AS standard number should be all the average consumer requires. If the suppliers invoice does not also include a statement the product being supplied complies with AS5039-2008, don’t pay for the goods.

P.S.
It’s not possible to determine by simple visual inspection if a door complies with the standard, although the locking system is one feature that is easy to note. Other tests require physical force and destruction of the door.

Install should require 30-60 minutes. A reputable supplier will also build in the cost of a site visit and measure to ensure a suitable product is offered.

I have previously purchased and paid for a pro install of two security screen doors. The doors and install were 3-4times the cost of a fake or imitation. Alternately a DIY lower resistance barrier style door may be all you require.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

R

2 Likes

Hi @realoyd, welcome to the community.

What sort of door…a custom ornate/decorative steel barred security door which requires a lot of labour to make…or a generic aluminium security door like crimesafe which is cut to size and is made from prefabricated parts?

2 Likes

It depends on what they are doing during installation. Many timber external door frames are about strong enough to hold up the door. If a strong unyielding door is fastened to such a frame it would not take much to tear the fastenings out of the frame - possibly by levering the door itself. If that is what you have and they are hanging a new door in place of the old, or on the outside, installation shouldn’t cost too much but it won’t achieve much either.

If on the other hand a much more robust frame is being installed that is well fixed to the house frame and that will hold fastenings well the labour and materials for installation will cost a lot more.

A cheap door and installation will only keep out honest people.

3 Likes

I concur with @mark_m. Look for the Australian Standard, AS5039-2008.

At least one brand spends inordinate amounts advertising and telling you how wonderful they are, and that advertising budget has to be recouped via higher prices. Different brands will tell you how their method of attachment or their use of a particular grade of something means their screens are special.

Ignore the marketting fluff as it doesn’t matter what brand the screen is, if it meets the Standard and it’s properly installed, it is secure. If it doesn’t meet the standard, or not properly installed, it’s not secure.

As to the cost; always ask for the cost of the screen(s) to include installation, that way you can compare quotes. If you have more than one door, ask for the locks to be keyed alike so one key will get you in whichever door you use. Ask about how many years of warranty you get. Does the warranty include parts and labour? Also make sure the business has a good track record, and will be around for some time. Finally, do not pay in advance. Perhaps pay a token amount in advance, and only pay the balance when you are fully satisfied that all the work is completed to your satisfaction.

4 Likes

It may also be instructive to search this forum for comments on Doors Plus. While every franchise may be different or the same, operating under a ‘big name’ is not always a guarantee of consistency, quality products or quality installation.

4 Likes

Has anyone got any feedback on brands of security mesh screens for sliding doors, single doors and which is best. Finding it confusing on which to select. I want something that is worth the money being asked. Most Important for me is that it is going to secure my home well and meet my insurance requirements.

1 Like

Hi @Jojozep, welcome to the community and your first contribution.

That is the application - doors and/or windows?

What is your desired outcome - durability, privacy, insect barrier, draughts, colour, appearance/architectural etc?

These may influence members recommendations in relation to what may suit your needs.

2 Likes

It’s important to look for Australian standards compliance.

• AS 5039: Security screen doors and security window grilles
  • AS 5040: Installation of security screen doors and window grilles
  • AS 5041: Methods of test - Security screen doors and window grilles

It’s important to look for Australian Standards compliance statements if you are seeking assurance the products offered meet home insurance needs.

There is also a Suppliers/Manufacturers Association.
All You Need To Know About Security Screens and Doors - Australian Glass and Window Association

One factor to consider is whether your property is bush fire rated, which affects the types of screens suitable. Another is whether exiting the home in an emergency through a window is a need. EG in case of an internal fire.

5 Likes

Thanks phb I have added more information. Just joined the community.

3 Likes

Thank you for the link @mark_m I will check that out.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I have moved your question to an existing thread. Please have a read through the proceeding posts, where you will find answers to your questions.

2 Likes