Current scam shopping sites

Hi everyone - have you seen any recent dodgy copies of major retailer websites?

We’re looking at this type of scam again, to see what examples are currently out in the wild. Our previous investigations have uncovered evidence of criminals building copies of the Peter Alexander and Kathmandu websites in order to steal money and information.

So have you recently come across any suspicious web pages claiming to be a famous brand? What made you think they weren’t right?

5 Likes

This provides some background into how bad it has become.

4 Likes

Its not hard to get scammed, even if you are on guard… I’ve been done twice. Should have known.

1 Like

This may be the same group; certainly the tactics and objectives are similar. This article refers to the group as BogusBazaar, a term not mentioned in the Guardian article.

4 Likes

Ex-president wanting to be president again
Charismatic guru of a new religion
Tall basketballer giving endorsements for overpriced shoes
Actor and media personality with magical products
Dior, Nike, Lacoste, Hugo Boss, Versace and Prada
Industrial scale internet scam organisation

What have they all go in common?

They all want your attention, your belief and your money (usually in that order) in exchange for an idea transmitted cheaply via modern media. The shoes, the clothes and the gadgets are sold too but they are not the real products.

Faith moves mountains but if you can monetarise it you can sell it again and again with no cost of earthmoving equipment.

We give these people power over us again and again. Why?
Because we want their idea and will abandon reason to have it.

2 Likes

Certainly Facebook has has ads for Blue Illusion and others that apparently lead to fake websites. The genuine company has sent out emails to customers.

4 Likes

Got caught once on Facebook buying a leather bag. My bank called, they had queried the purchase/ business and prevented payment. I ordered a new card because of the identity issues. And the same bag was on sale on ebay for a fraction of the price although I did not purchase. From now on if I’m tempted I do a search for the business online and check goods and prices.

3 Likes

Harvey Norman were selling laptop computers for $3. Advertising them on Facebook. Even getting positive comments. The bad news is that they were all fake. Facebook took down the sites. But sometimes this took several weeks.

More information here Pardon Our Interruption or google Harvey Norman scams

2 Likes

Scam ads on facebook alllll the time. Things like electric cars for $59, mobility scooters for 49 etc. Madness. I suppose some people get caught. FB is the absolute worst for scam ads. I never follow them so no idea about the actual site.

3 Likes

Not being scammed relies substantially on us consumers/users being always able to recognise the risks. Some are more vulnerable than others.

2 Likes

Look at Domestika!
I have bought creative courses for a few years, suddenly hit with a yearly subscription which paypal will not refund. I did not see this in my basket when i ordered, did notclick anything but obviously did not unclick some hidden tickbox.
Impossible to unsubscribe. Impossible to contact. Its $99 US so not a small amount but not huge either.More information on the facebook page Domestika scam. Its a long convoluted tale of trying to get my money back!
Paypal is not your friend!!

1 Like

It does sound dodgy, and as you have indicated, may have been something to opt out of during the purchase process.

Their website indicates that canceling subscription is possible:

You might have seen that Domistika Plus could be trialed for free, not realising the free period is very short (30 days) and then they automatically charge your card with a full annual subscription. It is worth noting that not taking out the ‘free’ offer, one could have subscribed month by month.

With the current subscription payment, it may be difficult to get a refund unless you can somehow prove that you didn’t subscribe to it. It you can’t prove you didn’t subscribe, it will be seen as a change of mind. In the case of their Domestika Plus subscription, there isn’t any cooling off period and subscriptions are non-refundable. Automatically paying an annual subscription after 30 ‘free’ days smells of making money…otherwise the automatic subscription would be month by month.

I never, EVER, purchase any product accessed via a Facebook advertisement. Nobody should. When people start ignoring the legitimate business advertisements they will cease to use Facebook unless and until Facebook does the RIGHT thing and uses due diligence before permitting advertisements on their product. Remember, Facebook makes billions out of advertising, INCLUDING the fraudulent ones. In effect, Facebook profits from their crimes. They must be made to change their operational procedures, including taking responsibility for crimes committed using their software.

5 Likes