Cryptocurrency email extortion scams

I agree with why didn’t they do it from Nigeria but just very glad they didn’t so they actually got caught.

I think haveIbeenpwned will continue to grow it’s listings unfortunately as security of details is impossible to give to any user of any online service/portal/site. The best you can hope for is timely warnings when it goes awry and efforts to improve security at every possible point. What we really do suffer from is lax reporting by many and poor responses when they do respond, and thankfully we have services like haveIbeenpwned to help us be informed and aware.

5 Likes

Well over 30 in the last month - someone is trying hard. My other contacts have similar experience, all from the same breach. One has nearly double the number of emails …

I’ve been shown an email exchange with this company - I’m still trying to comprehend how anyone would respond to a security breach by migrating compromised username/password pairs to the new ‘more secure’ system, let alone a company selling computers/parts - 50 shades of stupid … if this is how they treat passwords, imagine what they do with credit card details! U have been warned :slight_smile:

A little OT, but after two attempts to get registered/recognised as a non-commercial user, I’ve removed Teamviewer from all my machines and others I help. Sadly Teamviewer seems to have gone the way of LogMeIn - probably got enough paying customers to clear the decks of freeloaders :slight_smile:

3 Likes

An article regarding police charging a woman for stealing Ripple cryptocurrency.

It appears that 100,000 Ripple units are now “worth” around $64,000 so presumably there will be a request for the charge to be downgraded.

I am not sure what is the biggest scam. This theft or the cryptocurrency itself.

4 Likes

Today it’s about $45,000 so if she can delay long enough it might be a slap on the wrist for stealing $10 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is some useful - finally - news about online credit card security.

4 Likes

Some say it all relates to a breach 7 years ago … but now it’s time to reap the benefits? Maybe it just took 11 years to sell the data to the bad guys, either way, the handling of this breach was ‘interesting’ …

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2744108

2 Likes

Under 18 hours from the time they first searched for “where to buy BTC [location]” in the afternoon to the time of meeting a seller in person the next day at a public transport location where the BTC was transferred to the final destination after payment was made in cash. This was someone with no knowledge of BTC who was able to do it with a simple search. If the search had taken place in the morning or they met in the evening it would have been under 8 hours. One of the sites that the search returned was LocalBitcoins as mentioned by @grahroll and this is where they found the trader.

2 Likes

An article regarding hackers stealing $41 million in Bitcoin from Binance in addition to some $950 million of cryptocurrencies stolen last year.

Perhaps theses cryptocurrencies are not so safe and secure as had been claimed?

1 Like

Depends on who you give control of your “wallet” to. If you have you looking after it then it is as secure as your storage method is (similar to cash being in your wallet or safe), if you place that trust in a business then it is only as secure as they make it. If Banks didn’t insure you for when they are robbed, then like the Old West when a Bank got robbed the depositors lost their money. I guess in Crypto they could insure for loss but it might make an overhead that depositors didn’t like. It likely/probably wouldn’t be paid out in Crypto either so for some would expose them to questions by their Tax and other Civil authorities as to their source of income.

2 Likes

Seems like a glut of bitcoin scams happening at the moment:

4 Likes

Another laugh from Murdoch & Co.

When I opened the second link from NewsComAu, at the top of the article was an ad which leads to the new Underground Bank scam which I posted about in the Andrew Forrest Bitcoin Scam.

Only at Murdoch & Co where you can get both your scam warnings and scammed at the same time.

I’m not sure what is happening there Fred.

I followed the news item per the link posted by @BrendanMays, and also independently went to the news.com.au web site and searched out the article directly.

No Underground Bank scam at the top of the page in either instance. Just a small add for a subscription to the Australian and a free pair of Sennheiser head phones. Perhaps, a different form of scam?

It would be informative to know if anyone else has a similar response?

P.S.
There is always a possibility the web site has you profiled differently? Or worse? I’ve not seen the scam links you warn against in general browsing, other than from links you have created. Perhaps my AV is different, although the iPad has none!

2 Likes

No, but it is possible that News.com.au website uses Google Ad plugin to their website. If @fred123 has clicked or google searched for bitcoin/concurrency ‘investments’ scams, then Google through data collection will be profiling @fred123 as someone potentially interested in such information. As a result, materials advertising the scams will appear as a personal advertisement when ever one visits a website with Google ads.

Alternately, news.com.au is also profiling @fred123 and when a story about bitcoin/cryptocurrency scams is clicked on, a profile is built what @Fred123 likes these stories and when visiting news.com.au they personalise the news articles links displayed to try and match @fred123 preferences. They do this to try and keep @fred123 on their website as clicks and time = better advertising revenue.

3 Likes

Thanks, which is really a function of Google, and not the news.com.au web service.

It’s useful for @Fred123 to point out the behaviour, of that is what is happening. However it is not universally reproduced.

Further, while the value of many items delivered from a Murdoch owned service needs to be considered with some scepticism, it’s not clear If they have any control over the ‘Boggle’, oops Google adds?

I thought there was a further discussion of how this comes about elsewhere in the Community topics?

3 Likes