Qantas Credit Vouchers/Refunds & Overloaded Call Centre

Hi all
I don’t know that my story is that much different than others, but here goes. I planned a holiday in WA in 2020, cancelled for obvious reasons; rebooked for 2021, ditto. I had a voucher from Qantas for the flights for $1,500 (or thereabouts).
I rebooked my holiday to VIC instead, and had to ring Qantas to book the flights (2+ hours on hold, starting at 4.30 am), where I was advised that the flight from Melbourne to Sydney would cost $522. I questioned this, and was given a very vague explanation (which I still don’t understand) from the service rep, that it related to the original flight booked to Sydney - Perth / Perth - Tom Price. I asked to speak to a manager but was just told that I would get the same message.
I was also told I’d be sent my itinerary within 24 hours - nothing arrived. I logged in to my Frequent Flyers account and could see the Sydney - Melbourne return flights but also a one-way Sydney-Perth!
I rang again (2+ hours, from about 4.30 am one morning) and was told the Sydney - Perth flight was “nothing” and would be removed (it has been). I was promised a second time that I would get my itinerary, but nothing. I mainly want the itinerary so that I can see how much of my credit remains…
I expect that Qantas would tell me that something written in the Ts and Cs of the voucher would explain why I’m paying $522 for a 1.5-hour flight - but it’s beyond me.
This exorbitant price, and the appalling fact that I’m forced to wait on hold when I ring Qantas when clearly they want all their customers to use the web (I’d be DELIGHTED to be able to avoid those waits!) really leaves a bitter taste.

3 Likes