Covid safe check in procedures

Presumably the employees have just been given different instructions by managers who read the Health Dept guidelines and reached a different interpretation. There is nothing sinister in this.

When you enter a supermarket you are entering someone else’s private property. They DO have the right to ask for your name and phone number as a condition of entry if they so desire. Indeed the public health orders make it mandatory for them to do so. They have a right to verify them if they so desire, regardless of what the health orders say.

Private property owners can impose any conditions of entry they wish, provided it doesn’t breach anti discrimination laws. You can choose not to enter if you don’t agree to those conditions.

3 Likes

But in NSW it is an offence not to write your correct details on a sign in form. This was brought in early in the piece before the QR codes as people were all signing in with Mickey Mouse or John Smith and made up phone numbers!

1 Like

Totally agree. But it’s not the venue’s responsibility to verify.

1 Like

Almost as bad are folk scrawling their names on paper in a manner that is impossible to read AND often not including their phone number

1 Like

That makes sense. Venue staff are not police.

1 Like

You make sense, but that is not my main point.
My main point is that the Dept of Health Orders are in essence gathering names and numbers of shoppers etc for the purpose of contact tracing if need be. I have no problem with Service NSW gathering such data.

But I think when a supermarket checks someone in, it is sufficient for the process to confirming either

a shopper’s phone display a tick indicating the person checked in and by inference, his/her data was sent to say Service NSW; or
a staff member scans a customer’s QR card and receives a confirmation that the shopper’s data gathered via her scan of a QR card was transmitted successfully to Service NSW.

I don’t see the need to share my phone number or anything else with total strangers, especially in my case using a QR card, it is easy for the check in person to record my name and number at a press of a button on her iPad.

1 Like

Exactly!

You are of course entitled to that opinion. But it does mean that if you disagree with the venue owner/employees verifying your details then you may need to shop elsewhere.

If you do want to take it up, you need to take it up with the manager, not the poor schmuck who has been tasked with policing the Covid rules at the entrance.

I agree with you that it’s not the fault of the poor schmuck standing at the supermarket door.

Isn’t this an uncommon situation, an exception rather than the norm?

Is the greater concern for the owner of the business their liability if a customer introduces Covid to their premises, and there are issues with the accuracy of the records. In addition this could affect staff, other customers or cause the business to close and go into deep clean.

What are the consequences when a prospective customer seeking entry does so using false details, IE claiming they are vaccinated when they are not or with a false ID and likely to disrupt the TT&T chain?

I doubt any of us should be telling a manager or business owner what the answer should be under the current legislation and health orders. At least until the health orders in respect of those fully vaccinated, exempt and not vaccinated are amended. It may ultimately need a test case of the law to decide whether the owner is in some way liable for the unwanted outcomes.

I do not think that will be a problem as I cannot imagine check ins after state open up, 11OCT21 in the case of the First State (as some call it) will allow folk to merelt write their names on sheets of papers or ask for their names and numbers to be inputted into a tablet by staff.
Surely if a situation exists where only the vaccinated are allowed entry, then to ensure they are indeed vaccinated they will need either a smart phone app lined to the vaccine status or corona check in card whose QR code includes their vaccination status.

I can imagine Checking in will continue. It is an easy way to track those needed to be contacted in the case of an outbreak. Vaccination is not an absolute protection from acquisition.

Falsification of contact details is just a disregard of other people.

3 Likes

Media reports indicate that checkins will cease on 01DEC21 in NSW.

2 Likes

Not every State may follow NSW “Gold Standard” practices, and who knows with change of leadership if they will continue on the same path.

Federal may. also use a method :sunglasses:

1 Like

The current check in methods are about businesses recording who comes to their places for use by contact tracing, preferably real-time, or close to it.

There is a lot of testing at the moment to change this by various states to a proof of vaccination system, using the data held by Medicare distributed in some secured form.

So I would think that, yes, contact tracing check in will end in the next few months in States that will end lockdowns when vax numbers hit the 70% mark.

2 Likes

The Services Victoria checkin app just got an update, and I presume other states are doing the same.

The ‘Fully Vaccinated’ certificate from Medicare can be linked to the app for checkins.

Go to the Medicare app, go to ‘show vaccination…’ and scroll down; it will show you the app(s) it can be ‘shared’ to that are already installed on the phone and offers to link. One then has to accept all the normal formalities.

3 Likes

Thanks for the news.

Yesterday NSW Minister for the Digital Economy and Customer Service (and good friend of Gladys B), Victor Dominello, advised that by the end of Oct the vaccine status of a QR code user will be integrated with the QR code. Whether the tie up will be done by ServiceNSW for each person or whether each person will have to link the two together was not clarified.

1 Like

In the last couple of days I’ve tried twice to share my vaccination certificate from Medicare with the Service Victoria check in app.
Medicare says: congratulations you have been successful in sharing….
but my check-in shows a red question mark and no certificate.
Wonder if anyone else has got the same problem?

Did you download the latest version of the Services Victoria smartphone app?

But as of tomorrow, the Australian Government international vax status certificate will be available to download from My Gov. It is linked to your passport. That is what I will be using. At the moment I use the Medicare cert.

I have no time to waste on the Vic Gov checkin app, which has never worked on my phone.

1 Like

There’s no indication on my phone at the moment that an update of the app is needed. A few weeks ago when Discourse locked me out because ‘My browser wasn’t good enough to work on the site’ there was a little number on Apps and an indication to update S.V. but it’s now gone.
My browser is currently on 15 iOS.