Covid-19 Shopping: physical separation and safety issues

Stealing TP from Airbnbs too, as my brother recently discovered when the spare 4 rolls disappeared with the guests.

4 Likes

You need to realise that it is the economic cost that is huge. 1. the cost to the health system and 2. To the general economy. Actually getting the virus should for most people be a secondary concern. Stopping it and somehow keeping the economy afloat is critical. This is a big deal!

1 Like

Unless you happen to be one of those who succumb to it :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

This was at Woolies today

6 Likes

Excellent news.

Hopefully the grubs who were stockpiling massive amounts at the expense of the consumers who missed out and were simply planning to return the items for refunds once things settled down will be left with their fingers burnt.

5 Likes

As we both posted in another topic, we both use hankerchiefs so no drama with the availability of tissues.

2 Likes

Melbourne police station offers free toilet paper rolls to disadvantaged persons.

Check out the video clip of the chaos at Aldi stores this morning. So much for their 1 pack limit.

1 Like

Exactly, which is why I said most people. Most of us will get it and be fine but we must try and stop it spreading for many reasons, one of them being the vulnerable.

3 Likes

An article regarding Gretel Killeen claiming she was approached by a “dealer” in Kings Cross to buy toilet paper.

https://celebrity.nine.com.au/latest/gretel-killeen-coronavirus-toilet-paper-dealer-kings-cross/011e08e9-509c-41b2-91b3-0d06215be480

1 Like

Some states have laws against profiteering, though the ACCC apparently can’t prosecute. Might the behaviour be deemed unconscionable?
https://www.patreon.com/posts/34694453

[edit]
There are ways to get your toilet paper fix that don’t involve hanging around the supermarket at opening time:

2 Likes

My local Woolworths has signs up saying they are ‘no longer accepting change of mind returns’ on items including toilet paper and hand sanitizer. I guess a few people have regretted buying so much :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: https://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/woolworths-rules-out-panic-buyer-s-remorse-20200311-p5494p.html

3 Likes

What a shame that Woollies did not make it retrospective to when the stupidity started.

2 Likes

“Surprisingly for a boomer”?!? Apart from being an insult to many of us, what on earth does that remark have to do with the topic or your comment, which would have been just as pertinent without your snide remark.

3 Likes

Wait, what?
I found it to be a surprising solution from someone who - like many others of a similar age and background I come into contact with on a regular basis both personally and professionally - usually vocally disdains alternative retail POS solutions including but not limited to online ordering, delivery, click and collect and self-serve checkouts.

It was out-of-character to suddenly suggest embracing what has been previously fought in a crisis situation for the sake of convenience.
Pleasantly surprising, but surprising none the less.

3 Likes

I’d love to revert to hankies. But when I come off the CPAP machine after a sleep, my nose runs like a tap. I go through two boxes of tissues a fortnight and sometimes it only takes a week. I don’t think there are enough hankies in the world, for me to switch. Plus, I would feel compelled to follow my mother’s method of dealing with them, and that is not to just throw them in the washing machine, but rather, boiling them on the stove first so they will be bug-free before general washing. UGH. Havent done that in years.

2 Likes

I went to The Reject Shop at our local shopping centre today to look for an item and half the entrance was blocked with a roll cage full of outer packs of toilet rolls.

They were Softesse 24 packs for $6 each so for those still hunting for toilet rolls, check out The Reject Shop as well as the usual suspects.

2 Likes

An FNQ business is offering to swap coffees or coffee beans for toilet paper.

A local Coles had stocks of the Kleenex 9 roll packs on special for $4 today so that would equate to $1.33 per coffee.

Pity about the fuel costs.

1 Like

FWIW I feel that I’ve been planning ahead and not panic-buying in my shopping. Haven’t piled up any TP or other disposables, but have been adding an extra item of grocery to my shopping list and putting it aside to be used in a few months time when winter, and whatever sickness, will be here.
Going shopping could then be difficult or hazardous, avoidance of crowded places might be the best prevention.

4 Likes

I ventured into Woolies today, and as expected the aisle for TP and paper towels was completely empty.
The only other thing I noted in there was a notice about 1 variety of tomatoes being in short supply, but that may not have been related to COVID-19. Everything else seemed normal.
Oh, and I overheard the checkout operator complaining to the next operator about people asking about TP - “if one more person asks, I’m going home!” I didn’t :wink:

3 Likes

Woolies has also put a 1 pack limit on paper towel, serviettes and baby wipes. And a 2 pack limit on tissues

2 Likes