COVID-19 Poor business behaviour

What is the ACC doing about anything?

1 Like

I want to know about the cow’s urine. It must be hard to come by unless you work in a dairy. And do you rub it on or drink it?

1 Like

Should that be “holey”.

I will second that.

1 Like

Fred “HOLY” its called semantics and was intended as a pun! :grinning:

Syncretic - drink it actually - it is all the rage somewhere! :drooling_face:

1 Like

I’ve been getting bombarded with multiple emails and sms messages for the last two days from Noni B group (Noni B, Rockmans and W. Lane) Exhibit below:

And this is what they’re offering…

Considering the last 100ml hand sanitiser I bought (not this brand, but still) at the beginning of January was $2…

I bought a dress from Noni B last year for a wedding… can’t see myself shopping there in the future anyway but I definitely won’t after that.

6 Likes

We’re calling for Mosaic Brands and others to stop ‘panic marketing’ immediately and apologise to customers. Using pushy sales tactics to exploit anxiety about COVID-19 to encourage panic buying is not on.

And here’s an example we received via Instagram, sent via text message from Surf Stitch:

7 Likes

Oveds Horse and Pets Store, ABN 59 079 517 310, a Brisbane-based vet supplies online store is stating all supplies of F10 Veterinary disinfectant are out of stock while listing them on EBay for between $3000 and $9000 per unit (a mark up of over 1000% in many cases). This product is in short supply Australia wide (no supplies are to be found on any online stores) and is essential to the veterinary, wildlife care and associated animal health industries.

They appear to have withdrawn the $9000 item I reported to EBay yesterday, saying it has sold out. They are still offering another item in the F10 range, listed as out of stock with a normal price of $115.99 on their webpage, for $5000: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/F10-Hand-Gel-5L/254544779369?hash=item3b440d1869:g:YZIAAOSw8t1eb0YR

They are also price gouging on many other disinfectant products: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/ovedshorseandpetstore/m.html?item=254204612645&fbclid=IwAR1ZKhzBqjCPeXpWOr3YXAU6ic2VUJo1R3S8rpMOEnsp2eMjEDzln7i6skY&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

6 Likes

All this crazy priced disinfectant is… crazzyyy! As are the people buying it.

Surely a soaped up hot cloth using <1c worth of soap will be just as good?

3 Likes

Suggest you take screenshots and send a complaint to the ACCC.

2 Likes

I have done :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Romeo’s IGA in Summer Hill doing some pretty horrible price gauging!

2 Likes

I thought I’d read that ebay was going to stop toilet paper price ripoffs but there are plenty on the site

$7.05 for one roll seems excessive, even including postage

5 Likes

Excessive indeed, and a bit underweight. I’ve just checked and found a 230 sheet 2ply roll of EcoNaturale recycled, 10 X 10.5cm weighs 90g.
So these 4ply at 80g cant have all that many sheets, and they are small.

3 Likes

If you check the postage calculator Auspost charge by weight or volume, whichever is greater. A 10 x 10 x 10 box from Melbourne to Sydney is $8.95 from the Auspost calculator. Ebay merchants get discounts and it is probably put in a pouch that costs less. Nevertheless, it is probably sent by a cheap courier like Fastway or Couriers Please at less cost. Even so, maybe not as bad as it looks at first glance? I hope the customers can wait for it :wink:

1 Like

There are many profiteers on eBay, as we know - this is one of the worst. This thermometer is $99 rrp and is out of stock all over Australia. There’s no proper avenue to report the item or seller on eBay, either (none of the pre-determined reporting fields covers profiteering/price gouging, so I was hesitant reporting it as the wrong reason). I wrote to the seller who replied that he put it up to that price as there was no stock until May and that it stops people buying it at that price. Then promised they’d bring the price down once stock was in. (What???!!!) Yet their listing shows it’s in stock so anyone desperate enough would be charged that price. EBay should be giving us easier ways to report this behaviour immediately!

3 Likes

Absolutely disgraceful.

Here is an Aussie business selling it for $87 with deliveries in July.

2 Likes

Good on Bubs n Grubs! Good see honest sellers out there. Opportunists are truly disgusting.

1 Like

When I looked at the link yesterday they were $599. Today they are $999.

What a disgusting bottom-feeding grub.

I have just sent the following message to Oricom Australia via the message facility on their website.

"Hi,

Your HFS 1000 is advertised on eBay by GadgetCityAustralia.

Yesterday they were listed at $599 each. Today they are listed at $999 each.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172567488453?ul_noapp=true

This is the most disgraceful example of price gouging and blatant theiving that the Choice Community has witnessed to date during the coronavirus crisis.

Should you really be suppling this bunch when your ethical retailers like Bubs N Grubs have no stock to supply desperate consumers?"

Perhaps other community members may like to do likewise.

Good Humour or a Bad Business.

Two days ago we received a phone call from a sales agent for Accor Plus. It’s a pay for annual membership accommodation loyalty/rewards scheme associated with the Accor chain of hotels. No Golden Chain cheapies in the mix. “Save” on nights away from home and a dedicated member booking site.

Just what we all need right now.

P.S. includes member discounts when you eat out at selected Accor chain hotels too!

Nearly forgot to mention they have kept this years price rise under 10%. Possibly not even a good deal looking ahead at half price for twelve months.

The best savings on offer right now - to not join any of these schemes. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The eBay listing has now changed.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172567488453?ul_noapp=true

" This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

And the listing on their website has been “drastically slashed” to a mere $499.