Corian kitchen benchtop & sink: what's your experience?

Thank you too for your feedback @George. I like the combo of steel and timber too, but unfortunately we’ve ruled it out as it visually doesn’t fit with the rest of the house.

2 Likes

Very interesting @Ozspock! Sadly we’re in Sydney, but thanks for your kind offer to show us your kitchen. I would have loved to have a peek :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s all very confusing, and a little daunting, given one’s going to part with a big whack of money for something so important.

2 Likes

Ahh … yes a pity. Seeing things completed will give you peace of mind.
If possible , also don’t pay Kitchen Manufacturers ALL the owed quote money until job is totally finished.
If you have one, an AMEX credit card is the best way to pay these and other large projects. We had a Melbourne Kitchens company fully paid, go Bust before install. But due to the fact we paid via AMEX, we raised a dispute and received all our $40K back … the only Credit card that I’m aware of that does that. Possibly also Paypal…??
So good luck with your final decisions, as for Corian or Staron, you won’t be disappointed.
Cheeers…!!

1 Like

MasterCard and Visa offer similar Chargeback processes and they can often be the way to go when getting a refund goes sideways.

See the following topic on the process and the linked article in it

2 Likes

We had a Corian worktop sink combo fitted in our house, over four metres worth with a Corian bone coloured sink. The top was a Matt light grey mottle a surface that never showed much with the integrated upstands.

Bleaching the sink or using Barman’s Friend kept the sink clean. No problem with scratching or breakages. We did have a problem where we slotted in a gas range cooker. A SMEG range cooker that got hot externally.

Would I buy it again … Yes apart from DuPont’s record in hiding its chemical damage to society.
The problems. With the stone resin mixes and the workers means stainless steel and would are appealing though Choice some years ago did an excellent large article on all the available possibilities.

I recall glass and concrete amongst AFAIR nine possibilities. which reminds me that sheet glass or steel down to an upstand is great for clean look and cleaning.

3 Likes

Stainless steel benchtops are very durable and create a “commercial” or “industrial” look if that is what you are after but it is very polarizing. Many buyers are turned off by it. It can also scratch horribly. If you are looking to sell your house I would go with Quartz or try porcelain. Both can be taken up the wall to create a splashback without grout which always looks great. Some of the new honed granites look good as well. Definitely stay away from natural marble as it is porous and stains. We had travertine marble floors in one of our apartments and they were a nightmare.

3 Likes

I could not think of anything much worse in a residential setting.

We replaced the existing stainless steel double bowl sink when we moved into our existing home some 6 years ago, and despite carefull cleaning, there are lots of micro scratches in the bowls and a smaller number on the drain top section of the sink.

A stainless steel benchtop may be durable and hygenic, but who wants a kitcken that looks likes a fast food outlet?

1 Like

It depends if you view it as a work room, a showpiece, or some of each. For those where looks matter SS may be to their taste even if not yours. So in answer to your question I would say ‘quite a lot’. My guess is that SS is uncommon in domestic kitchens due to price more than absolute preference.

1 Like

We redesigned a kitchen 18 months ago. We had a Corian bench-top installed. It has flowing white, sandy and caramel hues. It looks very good, although more expensive than plain colours. It doesn’t have scratches as yet, but does have very superficial marks from things being moved around on its surface. These are mainly visible to me when light reflects off the surface (although my wife doesn’t notice them). As the main washer/wiper-upper, my mainly contribution to the kitchen design was insisting on a stainless steel double sink and drainage section. I find it more functional than the double hole in the bench-top arrangement that seems to be in fashion. We chose Corian in preference to quartz because of silicosis concerns in the quartz manufacturing. (Hopefully there aren’t significant health issues with the manufacture of Corian.)

2 Likes

I have a white Corian sink and benchtop installed in 2007. The benchtop is curved and that is the reason I chose Corian as the joins cannot be seen.
While I get many compliments on the look of it, I would not use it again.
The sink is extremely difficult to keep clean and the product I use to clean any stains, including red wine, off the benchtop does not remove the stains in the sink, especially if the stained cups/dishes/glassware have been sitting in the sink. I have resorted to more harsh products, eg, bleach, which do remove the stains from the sink, however, they tend to dull the Corian over time.
In late 2019, a 10cm crack appeared on the benchtop - unfortunately the 12 year guarantee had expired two months prior. The cost of fixing it was $700 as the whole of the benchtop and sink had to be polished to match the repair.
I also found it difficult to find someone to repair it.

4 Likes

My positive experience with Corian or similar product is that after thirteen years it still looks contemporary.
Unfortunately there are quite a few chips along the edge. I’ve sanded these which has helped a little.
But…I would never buy a stone or stone based bench top again. Sooooo noisy! The hard surface amplifies to general kitchen and room movement. Also, every time a plate, cup or other ‘hard’ item is put down on the bench its very loud. Not good when trying to be quiet in the early morning or late at night.

4 Likes

Being very sensitive to noise, this was something I considered before going ahead with ordering Corian, but my better half was particularly keen on a stone based or Corian bench top. Noise is an issue with Corian but I am coping; we both take care placing crockery on the bench top. I must admit that I would have been content with laminex (fashion is not my strong point).

2 Likes

We installed a Corian bench top and sink some 20 years ago. The result has been excellent, The joint is virtually invisible, the coving at the walls prevents dirt in edges and the welded sink is a great way to go. There is no staining and any marks wipe off easily. It does scratch but you only see that in oblique light. However, we had it re-sanded recently and it was restored to as new.

1 Like

Just like to let you know that Corian or any other name for acrylic polymer, there are other brands making the same type of product. This product when it arrived here was not recommend for use in food preparation areas and comes in sheets not liquid. True it can be moulded into many shapes but it is laminated into these shapes.

Who did not (does not) recommend such material for a food preparation area? What are the consequences of using it there?

Why is the fact that it comes in sheets not liquid significant?

1 Like

Apologies. I was too brief, in short cutting on how the product is produced and shaped. Thanks for the reminder.

For bench tops etc, the product is usually provided in a moulded sheet form. The raw material is a liquid polymer which is poured to create the sheets. The sheets soften when heated and can be reshaped using thermoforming and suitable moulds. Eg sinks, basins etc.

I have been in the industry for the past 44 years and have been using and installing this and many other brands of this product. So when this particular product was being promoted by the supplier many years ago, circa 1980, the recommendation from the supplier of the product was to not use it in a food preparation area because it stains and cracks with heat. The supplier would have only informed us on the recommendation from the manufacturer, one would imagine.

1 Like

Yes thermoforming is used but suppliers of the product will also offer pre-moulded sinks and basins because of the high costs for individual manufacturers. It is financially better to have dedicated companies who will form sinks and basins in any brand and any colour.

Yet people have been using it that way these 40 years and still it advertised for that use. With the possible exception of stainless steel many common benchtops may have cracks. Perhaps they were very cautious once and have since come to the conclusion that there was no significant difference compared to older materials.

Most of the time an architect or designer specifies a product for a project. They work off the manufacturers specifications which state water resistant, heat resistant, stain resistant and the like. As a manufacturer we can only advise a client of any issues. It is then the responsibility of the client. One of the many products specified, Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF) is often used in a wet area. It is like a sponge near water. I have had to replace or return stainless steel sinks with cracks. A result of poor manufacturing processes. If a stainless steel benchtop is required, I encourage clients to have it sand blasted to a satin like effect. This reduces visible scratches and the bench will stay brighter for longer. Every product has it’s limitations and level of care requirements. I hope people understand that I am not being critical of any product, I am just passing on experiences. Cheers.

3 Likes