Comprehensive index for Choice hardcopy magazine?

Is there an efficient way to find articles in the hardcopy magazine? I want to find a review of Prams and Strollers and I know there is one out there, last updated: 7 April 2020. I have access to hardcopy magazines and I’d like to use the hardcopy version, but searching the last five years of indexes I can’t find any issues with a review.

2 Likes

My experience is that the hard copy articles come out after they appear on-line; so maybe in the next hard copy edition of Choice?

1 Like

Hi @mcintoshr, is there a reason you can’t just print the article? If you can’t, you can do a search of Choice articles on line at your local library which should have PC and printing facilities.

Hi @Albie, I’d like the magazine as it is more presentable to a young woman I know who is unlikely to bother looking at a printout. The glossy magazine goes a long way with some people :slight_smile:

Ok @mcintoshr that’s your call.

A reality is, as you have noticed, is that the hardcopy index goes back only 12 months. Other than publishing issues a reason for that is product cycles are generally such so a review much older than that is often irrelevant as none of the products on the market (eg 5 years ago, or in tech sometimes 3 months ago) then are still on the market today.

Regardless of the young lady’s propensity to ‘go a long way’ with hardcopies, as @meltam implied the online is always more up to date and appears before it can be put into print. Further it is sometimes the case the online version is more complete because post publication updates have been included that might never get added to the hardcopy in a timely manner, if ever, and sometimes only as an FYI note in the front pages when warranted.

3 Likes

Buy her a subscription, the web articles are pretty schmick.

3 Likes

Having searched five years of indexes, it appears some reviews may never get to hardcopy. I thought something basic and relatively slow changing like Prams and Strollers would have gone to hardcopy. Maybe they have other ideas of what is worth putting on paper??

2 Likes

I’ll take your word for that. I do know that extra details, and some products in the also-ran group, in some online articles never get to print. Save some trees, go digital!

3 Likes

Curious. @BrendanMays or @jhook, can you comment?

While hardcopy continues to be offered perhaps Choice could include the paper publication date as informational for each online review?

4 Likes

That tickles a memory. Hasn’t that been for asked before?

1 Like

Not sure - I was unable to find it. I was able to find some other things that were to be out in 2-3 months, 3 years ago though. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Maybe an option for Choice is to add the hardcopy published magazine date on the online review text…in the intro text at the top of the review page or the main product test overview page. A hardcopy member can then search the Choice website, see the month the hardcopy version was publishedband then track down the hardcopy article. The hardcopy member wouldn’t need to be a online member to see the cross-referenced date if placed in the right location.

2 Likes

I included a link to a recent, dated, update at the start of this topic, so you don’t have to take my word for that. I welcome you to find an entry in the indexes for Prams and Strollers, or any reasonable variation. I couldn’t find any in five years of issues, even though the web update was dated April 2020, implying that the review might have been some reasonable time before the update.

1 Like

I believe the delay in getting from a test being completed to publishing on the web is weeks at most; but getting it into hard copy is at least 1 and often 2 months.

I can document that letters published in the computer edition are at best in the second upcoming issue from being sent, because of the publishing timelines for editing, assembling, printing, and delivering. eg a letter immediately emailed in response to a Jan/Feb article would at best be printed in the May/Jun edition.

I hope that is useful background.

2 Likes

Hi @mcintoshr,
Apologies for the delayed reply, I’m just trying to get a solid confirmation of when this might appear. The website and print mag doesn’t always align in publication timing, and there are unique elements to both the mag and the website. So there are some things that won’t appear in the mag and vice versa for the website. We’ll get back in touch with you soon.

6 Likes

Hi there

Choosing what to include in the magazine from our reviews and testing team each month is a difficult decision - there’s so much good stuff we can pick from and we can’t fit it all in the 72 pages. While there are no hard and fast rules, we tend not to include reviews from the baby and kids category because our reader insights tell us that it’s not popular content for the bulk of our magazine subscribers.

The good news is that as a magazine subscriber, for access to this review or any of the others that are available online but not in print you can call our Customer Service team on 1800 069 552.

I hope that helps answer your request.

6 Likes

I’ve been a Choice Magazine subscriber since 1985 and I much prefer the older A-Z index, I found it much easier to find a test/article.

As a suggestion, include the current index listing and the A-Z index.

2 Likes