Comparing email services

The answer is yes to all these questions. The article on Masked Email is here: https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/articles/4406536368911-Masked-Email

2 Likes

Oh really? I didn’t know that. I’ve looked at Fastmail off and on for the last few years… unlimited aliases is very tempting… I could move all my mail over from my various providers. Thanks for that info :slight_smile:

1 Like

Years ago I had a great email service, though I’m not sure if it’s still around. My email address was (yourname)@TellmeImCute.com, which was really memorable, but could be problematic if used for business purposes

2 Likes

I use Mozilla Thunderbird and am happy with it, found that one after Incredimail ended.

For clarity Thunderbird is an email client, not an email service. A number of us use it but the mail service (singular or plural) are such as gmail, yahoo, outlook, hotmail, live, the RSP’s email, etc.

1 Like

Oh sorry, I guess I am with iinet then??? That’s where I get it through. Okay, you got me, I clueless ha ha.

Hi I have been with gmail for many year and never had any problems. If you change providers for your internet you can still keep the same email address. That is a big plus.

I have been using Proton Mail free for about 5 months and am very satisfied with it. Currently considering upgrading to to the lowest paid which is all an individual should need.
The 48 Euro seems reasonable which gives me 5 email addresses and 5GB. changed from g-mail due to (lack of) privacy concerns.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Fastmail for decades. As an ex-web developer I was very picky as to who I’d use, Fastmail has great controls, good privacy/spam facilities and a email-rely (like Apple). I’ve been using another feature for years… I create a new email address on their fastmail.fm and having it redirect to my fastmail.com.au all done easily, simply.
I’ve always been happy even since I retired a few years ago - happy to recommend:)

3 Likes

I have tried a few email providers. Hated the one provided by ISP provider, clumsy, and not portable. Got onto Gmail a few years ago and absolutely love it. I now have several gmail accounts - one for home, one for work, one for voluntary work, and one for dodgy junk mail. Gmail has everything, and is really user friendly, links with my Google calendar, sync’s with my android phone - and it is free. Couldn’t recommend more highly.

1 Like

I have three Bigpond accounts, including one for my wife. I’ve been with Bigpond for about 40 years and despite a few issues have been generally satisfied with their service - especially since they replaced the Pilipino ladies with the strong accents and very quiet voices. Their current help desk is really quite good. I also have a Gmail account which I use for a variety of purposes. No problems there.
I should add that the prospect of advising all my contacts of a new principal email address is too daunting to contemplate :frowning:

I think there are a few key reasons the your email choice should focus on.

1. Your email address should be one you can keep for life (independent of internet providers etc.)
  2. Your email system should have a similar look and feel regardless of the platform (windows, android, apple, phone, tablet, etc.)
  3. It should be free for personal use with an upgrade available if you want to pay for extra capacity.
  4. Your email system should be very easily and simply downloaded (with all history, contacts, etc.) to a new device.
    I have used Google Gmail for many many years and I highly recommend it to all that ask.
    It ticks all of the above boxes and there is nothing better than getting a new phone or PC and just having to log on to Google to get everything installed, up to date and running normally. Too easy.
2 Likes

I use Yahoo and find it easy to use.The rare time it will take a while to load though

1 Like

Gmail for work, shopping, play.
Yahoo for adult services, throwaway signups etc.
Protonmail (Switzerland) free and paid. For Crypto/Finance

1 Like

Longtime Fastmail user - excellent service -many aliases . Use one address for signon to fastmail - never use that address for emails.
I use GMAIL when using Google services.
Backups: I have never had any problems with email service providers and never had to recover, but if you are in the Belt and Braces category then the German
Mailstore offers an excellent consolidating Windows backup program for all types of email services

Free for home use
Hey I noticed after posting that an ad for Mailstore appeared in my post - not my doing

If your post contained the domain name or a URL on that domain then this is likely automatic behaviour of the software that Choice is using to host this forum. It automatically recognises a URL, makes it a clickable link and prefetches part of the corresponding web page (which of course may be of a promotional nature).

If you wish to suppress such prefetch and display behaviour then one hackaround is to ensure that the URL is not on a line by itself: MailStore Home - Free Email Archiving & Backup for Home Users and that includes even just preceding the URL by a single space

MailStore Home - Free Email Archiving & Backup for Home Users

and by virtue of the quirks of HTML that single space won’t be visible (won’t be displayed).

1 Like