Commencal Australia - Commencal Ramones 16 Inch Wheels Mountain Bike Recall

A recall notice for Commencal Ramones 16 Inch Wheels Mountain Bike supplied by Commencal Australia as it does not have a rear back pedal brake.

Commencal Australia — Commencal Ramones 16 Inch Wheels Mountain Bike

PRA No.

2019/17647

Date published

11 Aug 2019

Product description

Commencal Ramones
16 inch wheels children’s mountain bike

Photograph of Commencal Ramones 16 inch Wheel Bike - Red|480x296

Photograph of Commencal Ramones 16 inch Wheel Bike - Cream|480x296

What are the defects?

The product does not comply with the requirements of the mandatory standard ‘Trade Practices Act 1974 - Consumer Protection Notice No.6 of 2004 - Consumer Product Safety Standard: Pedal Bicycles: Safety Requirements.’

The product does not have a rear back-pedal brake.

What are the hazards?

In the absence of a rear back-pedal brake, children may not be able to brake sufficiently using the hand brakes, which may result in an accident and injury of the rider.

What should consumers do?

Consumers should stop using the bike and contact Commencal Australia to arrange for a replacement product.

For further information, contact Commencal Customer Service by phone on 02 9986 3983 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm AEST) or by email at customerservice@commencal-store.com.au

Supplier

Commencal Australia

Traders who sold this product

Online at https://www.commencal-store.com.au/

Where the product was sold

Nationally

Dates available for sale

• 10 November 2017 - 14 May 2019

Recall advertisements and supporting documentation

Recall advertisement.pdf (250.38 KB)

Responsible regulator

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission is the responsible regulator for this recall.

Wow. When we were at school, a mate had an old pushbike which had no foot or handbrakes.

Great fun. especially when the chain jumped off the gears.

2 Likes

A childrens’ bike that has both a rear handbrake and a back pedal brake. Not sure how to take to that idea. I guess when learning to use a handbrake it may be useful in an emergency to have the back pedal brake or if the child’s grip is too weak to apply the needed pressure. In my young years it was a choice of 1 or the other not both. I think I was about 10 when I got my first handbraked model but by that time I certainly could apply the needed pressure (except in rain when it could get scary slippery). I changed the standard rubber to a more wet surface capable design after the first wet weather disaster. Nowadays the disc brakes seem to be a thing more and more on bikes…I have no idea how they perform in wet conditions.

1 Like