Colgate Total 12 ORIGINAL - Oh yes!

Can we be sure that the ingredients in this tooth paste cost an extra $2 or more than the other famous Colgate branded varieties?

And they left the tricolsan out of the tube too!

Or is it just another $3.50 toothpaste product with a $7.00 marketing campaign?

2 Likes

I now believe the ingredients are worth the cost as they have been specifically chosen for their Anti-Tartar effects and have been proven in clinical trials to have an substantial anti-tartar effect.

They achieve the reduction in Tartar by inhibiting the binding of calcium in saliva to oral plaque and it’s unremoved oral plaque that has becomes calcified and hardened that is Tartar buildup.

Diligent regular brushing and flossing to manually remove plaque before it calcifies and becomes hardened will also help reduce Tartar buildup too.

Colgate Advanced Whitening with Tartar Control has NO Triclosan and thus the desired effect is not achieved via using any antimicrobials which may contribute to antibiotic resistance.

I floss daily and religiously brush after eating, however because my diet is rich in dairy products my dentist noted that I have calcium rich saliva that is contributing to Tartar buildup.

As mentioned in a previous post since using Colgate Advanced Whitening with Tartar Control my dentist has indeed noticed a marked reduction in Tartar buildup.

2 Likes

Please don’t read this as a criticism of the product quality.

“believe the ingredients are worth the cost“ - “true cost of the ingredients” = profit margin.

Got it I hope?

Is anyone really loosing money when they sell the product at half price?

1 Like

I think @mark_m may be trying to say is the ingredients in the more expensive toothpaste different or provide different outcomes to a cheaper variety.

I raised this point in another thread

It would be interesting to know what the claimed active ingredient is for tartar control in the more expensive toothpaste is, whether it is unique to the more expensive one and whether it claims provide a better outcome than the cheaper toothpastes which also seem to have generic tartar control claims

2 Likes

I believe The anti-tartar ingredients are Tetrasodium pyrophosphate and Sodium Tripolyphosphate plus a binding agent to keep these ingredients bound to the teeth for maxium efficency.

Part of the reason I decide to try the ALDI brand toothpaste is that it did indeed contain one of the above ingredients, plus the lower cost and also being Australian made.

However please don’t forget that ALDI is a German owned company and therefore the profit they make after the retail costs of running their stores are going overseas.

I didn’t mean to sound overtly defensive of their product. I was simply stating that I’m now aware of the dental clinical research they have put into this product which proves a substantial anti-tartar effect.

The development of an quality efficacious product takes an awful lot of money, time and research which has to thoroughly documented to the relevant bodies before specific label claims can be made.

Many smaller companies do not have the resources available to do this and of course there is the usual onslaught of cheap knock-off brands which copy their look and formulation. Coles, Woolworths, ALDI and others have become notorious for their “cloning” of major retail brands.

As for the actual cost of the ingredients, it’s normal for manufacurers buy in bulk quantities to keep the prices of all ingredients low, just how low the costs are will simply not be known to consumers.

With well known brands we are paying for the advertisng campaigns and also pay a premium for using a well known, trusted and respected brand name.

Taking all this into account the average consumer simply wants quality trusted brands that perform well and are available at a good price

If Coles or any any other retailer wish to discount the price of this toothpaste to 50% off normal retail then that must surely reflect the true profit margins that Coles have on their grocery items.

If they put things on sale and slash their profit magins to minimal for a short space of time on selected products, I am ready to pounce and stock up with enough desired products to last until it’s 50% off normal retail again.

1 Like

Woolworths and Coles also have a potion of their shares owned by overseas entities with Coles having a very large portion as OS interests. Wesfarmers now only has a 15% stake in the company after the demerger.

Colgate-Palmolive are also overseas owned and thus their profits leave the country.

What I am trying to get at here is that it doesn’t matter whom you buy from that much of the profit leaves this country when all said and done. Made in Australia sure can be, owned by Australians much much less likely.

1 Like

Even made in Australia can have profits exported as the ingredients could be foreign sourced (meaning that a significant percentage of the final product is produced elsewhere and it is blended reprocessed in Australia).

This is why only buying as close to 100% Australian product and hopefully from a 100% Australian owned company is better as more of the income and profits circulate around the Australian economy. Payroll, income and other taxes from farm to the pantry also stay in Australia. Imported products on the value added component (which is often limited) benefits the Australian economy.

I do feel more comfortable shopping at a majority Australian owned supermarket (a year or so ago when I last checked, Woolworts was majority Australian owned and there hasn’t been any ASX announcements relating to any significant changes in foreign ownership
I expect Coles to be similiar but would need to check the major shareholders register).

ALDI is 100% German owned and a private company that does not have the same social, environmental or financial (corporate) reporting required by Auatralian public listed companies. With ALDI known for placing pressure on manufacturers of its own labels to reduce prices so that it can have a reasonable margin, it means that most of the profits generated by ALDI’s store branded products go overseas. With a large proportion of their shelf (non-fresh) products being made in Australia with a significant foreign component, it means the amount of profit and revenue retained and circulated in Australia is vastly limited compared to the likes of Woolworths, Coles, IGA and other local supermarkets.

1 Like

Coles has at least 40% international ownership with Wesfarmers also being around 15% owned by HSBC who have a large stake in Coles shares as well. The other very large shareholders are National Nominees Ltd, Citicorp, BNP Paribas Nominees Pty Ltd, & JP Morgan.