Coles shopping with Flybuys/Flypay

It might just be me but I find it ridiculous that I use Coles Only shopping due to a back injury and have collected heaps of points. When I asked how I can use them for my online shopping I’m told I can’t!!! I really find this hard to believe. Apparently I can only use them in store. Why??

1 Like

Coles seems to offer using flybuys for online shopping.
https://www.colesgroup.com.au/media-releases/?page=check-out-on-coles-online-now-even-easier-with-flypay

5 Likes

You can get flybuys vouchers for use with your groceries. I cant remember how its done, but if you go to the flybuys site there’s some info there. Flypay looks easier, though. I usually save my points until I have enough to spend on something I need/want from the flybuys shop.

4 Likes

In the link that @Gregr kindly posted above it says:

Coles Online customers can simply select flypay when checking out and follow the instructions to part-pay using their Flybuys points, from $10 (redemption of 2,000 points) up to $50 (redemption of 10,000 points) per transaction.

So it appears that you can indeed use your Flypay, to pay online. If it doesn’t work, communicate with Coles and ask for instructions.

5 Likes

Thanks but, I have emailed the online customer service and they told me I couldn’t use them for my weekly online grocery shopping!

1 Like

Thank you I’d very much appreciate any help I can get.

1 Like

Thanks but again i did contact them and was told they couldn’t be used for online grocery shopping.

2 Likes

I wonder why Coles are saying publicly on the Website customers can use Flybuys points with online grocery shopping, but telling you that you can’t.

I think the key is that you need to pay using Flypay, which is a third party associated with Coles.

Have you set up a Flypay account?

3 Likes

I suspect the agent who replied

may be overemployed in that they answered the question 'can one use flybuy points (or flybuy dollars?) for online grocery shopping but went no further to explain the options available?

2 Likes

Flypay is the answer, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if we are talking about two different things. I’m looking at Flybuys but you are mentioning Flypay?

1 Like

See https://www.flypay.com.au/

Quickly pay for goods online with flypay at participating retailers, collect and pay with Flybuys points on qualifying transactions at participating eligible partners^.

^ Currently you can use flypay online at Liquorland, First Choice Liquor, Vintage Cellars, Kmart, Officeworks, Target, Coles Online and Giftcards to pay with a payment card and collect points on qualifying transactions at participating partners.

On Coles Online, flypay has an added feature that allows customers to get up to $50 off their shop using Flybuys points. Coles Online customers can simply select flypay when checking out and follow the instructions to pay in full or part-pay using Flybuys points, from $10 (redemption of $2,000 points) up to $50 (redemption of $10,000) per transaction.

Think of flypay like a paypal service that facilitates payments using flybuys points/dollars.

5 Likes

Flypay uses your flybuys points for dollars to be spent online. You need to register with Flypay, first, and download the app to your phone.

I’d suggest doing some reading here: https://www.flypay.com.au

4 Likes

Wow, I’ll have to check into what you have provided. I thank you so much for your help and support.

3 Likes

It may not be very relevant to this discussion but I shall mention anyway that I gave away using Coles for online purchases a long time ago because they will not accept their own eGift cards for online purchases. This is relevant to me as, like many other people, I buy eGift cards at a discount through either of a couple of organisations that I am a member of, including an auto club. Woolies does accept their own eGift cards, which I also buy at a discount, so all of my online grocery shopping happens with Woolies. I still do in-store shopping with Coles with their eGift cards, however, as they are more likely to have adequate supplies of paper goods like facial tissues and paper towels than Woolies is at this time.

2 Likes

One solution to this is to purchase a general visa gift card (such as OnlyOne). These can be used wherever you can use a visa card. I have used these in Coles right down to the last cent with a balance in cash or another card.

1 Like

Thanks for joining in the conversation. I think that’s absolutely appalling that they sell gift cards but then you can’t use them online. I know realise I have to set a Flypay account to use my Flybuys that I spent money on getting. To me, your gift cards any my Flybuy points should be made a lot easier to use and should be accepted in store or online.

I reckon that using Flybuys points to use at Coles is sub-optimal usage of the Flybuys points. This is because there are plenty of places where. you can buy Coles or Woolies Gift Cards at a 4 - 5% discount. So I prefer to do that and cash in the 50,000 Flybuys points that I have accumulated somehow on Bunnings gift cards which I cannot buy at a discount. Just a personal perspective and definitely not a criticism of how other people use their Flybuys points.

3 Likes

Useful advice in the unlikely event. It’s a massive number of dollars to have spent on two or more businesses, one Coles and the other …. which are not local.

I’d be doubly upset if we ever got to 50,000 points and found using them at fair value was an even bigger PIA than finding places to accrue them.

Ah yes, it would be a massive amount to have spent at one or two shops, except that is not what has happened.

Until six months ago, I had just 17,000 points accumulated over about 25 years. I just never used them. Then Coles started sending me weekly promotions that granted up to 4000 bonus points for spending quite nominal amounts at Coles. Typically, I might get something like 1000 bonus points for spending $50 on top of the 50 points that would normally accrue for $50 expenditure. I cannot recall how much I had to spend to get 4000 points but it was not very much. This week’s offer is for 2500 points for $150 worth of spending, I think. What has been noticeable is that the requirement of $ spend to get the bonus points has been steadily increasing over the past few weeks. Maybe they are using a drug dealer’s approach to get me hooked on shopping with Coles little by little. :slight_smile:

As previously stated, I modestly shop at Coles in-store, at this time, mainly to get their paper goods of which Woolies has not overcome shortages. In my location, I will also say that Coles gives far better attention to the maintenance of their Covid hygiene wipes etc at the entrance than my local Woolies does so, for someone who is still very Covid shy and still wearing masks and using sanitiser when I shop, that is another factor why shopping there is not so bad.

However, I also hasten to mention that Woolies also offers some pretty good bonus offers from time to time for regular on-line shoppers like me who usually places quite large orders a couple of times per month because I buy big on their half price specials. Also, their mobile phone network offer of 10% discount on one shop per month is unbeatable. That discount pays for almost all of the the six month pre-paid mobile phone subscription within one month for me.

Anyway, I think that I have taken this thread too far off-topic so that is enough from me.