Coca-Cola and Health Research

A couple of articles regarding suspicions that Coca-Cola squashes health research reports that they funded if they do not like the results.

Who would have thought.

3 Likes

This makes for interesting reading on the subject.

4 Likes

Unfortunately apart from the summary, the article is behind a pay wall.

3 Likes

It’s actually a book, my apologies that I didn’t make that clear. I’m not aware of any way to get it for free at this stage. I’ve read it and found it very interesting to see the tactics and meddling over time.

4 Likes

Coco Cola to scrap some 200 brands or around 50% of all their labels.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/tax-scam-victoria-police-appeal-after-melbourne-woman-loses-over-8k/ab551cef-0f68-42a3-a676-7263df212953

One Coke label I loved some 50 years ago was Leed Lemonade, made by Coke in NZ, which was the nicest lemonade I have ever tasted, but of course they scarpped it.

If they scrapped Coke, I certainly wouldn’t care.

2 Likes

SBS TV has a program at 3:00 PM tomorrow titled “Drink Wars: Coca-Cola vs Pepsi”.

Drink Wars: Coca-Cola vs Pepsi

3:00PM - 3:55PM

CC

Coke versus Pepsi: a duel between giants that has lasted for more than a century, at a cost of billions of dollars. This film explores the 100-year war with unparalleled socio-economic stakes, countless victims, spies, underhand manoeuvres, truces, and renewed attacks.

DOCUMENTARY | 2014 | PG

THis should be interesting.

3 Likes

Another research article is

Making China safe for Coke: how Coca-Cola shaped obesity science and policy in China

https://www.bmj.com/content/364/bmj.k5050

2 Likes

I just watched the program and it was very interesting.

The most startling statictic was that Americans consumption of fizzy sugary drinks peaked in 1998 at an average of around 53 gallons per person, before reducing by a mere 25%.

Well worth watching on SBS On Demand.

4 Likes

When we were in the US in 1994. we visited the Coca Cola Museum in Atlanta.

The displays were very interesting but the highlight was the complimentary soft drink which was a selection of various different Coca Cola drinks from around the world including a purple one from Israel.

One selected their choice and a stream of liquid shot up in an arc from the back of the bar to land in the cup on the counter.

It worked perfectly with no spillage or splashing.

Very impressive.

2 Likes