Chocolate Chip Cookies

Do you prefer chewy cookies or crunchy cookies?

• Chewy
  • Crunchy
  • A bit of both
  • Other
0 voters
3 Likes

A relative used to make irresistible macadamia choc-chip shortbread biscuits. Sadly, I don’t have the recipe :worried: - but these look very similar:

Maybe not too sadly. If I made these, I would eat too many of them!

3 Likes

I prefer biscuits over cookies.

Biscuit’s Latin roots of twice baked (or cooked) bread or cake…panis biscotus.

Cookie is an anglisation of the Dutch “koekje” I believe, I could be wrong though. Biscuit in US English is a scone as we call them.

Too much US English from TV shows…

Cup Cakes?? I still prefer Patty Cakes for my dessert, only cup cakes I have are the ones microwaved in a cup.

8 Likes

Resistance is futile. We will assimilate your language. - American

7 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

Never. I will never accept American terms for things. A ‘biscuit’ or a ‘cookie’ in American terms are alien things not recognizable in a civilized society.

4 Likes

Hmm … I make an exception for choc-chip cookies. I think they must’ve arrived here from America in the late 1960s or so - or at least, I first heard of them as a kid reading American books / comics, so to me that’s just what that type of biscuit is called. I didn’t come across them in real life until I was nearly adult. :smile:

Everything else is a biscuit (or bikkie).

3 Likes

Don’t eat them, so can’t vote.

6 Likes

My favourite CCC recipe has been passed down through my family for decades. It was, I believe, originally sourced from a Quaker Oats box

(Would have uploaded the pdf but wasn’t allowed :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

Hi Shadia, nice to see you again!
I prefer crunchy, how else can you dunk it in a hot espresso coffee? :wink:

5 Likes

The best chocky chip bikkie recipe I’ve found was on a can of condensed milk. I don’t know how many batches of them I made for work morning teas, but without fail, they were hoovered up-never any leftovers!! Cooked just right, they were were crunchy, with heaps of chocky - I used white, milk and dark chocolate cut into chunks. And really good and sturdy for dunking too!!

5 Likes

Thank you for the recipe. Don’t worry I just right clicked & copied the image & save it as a jpeg. I can’t wait to try this recipe.

3 Likes

I was born in the US, and migrated here a long time ago. Shortly after arriving, having made the name switch from “cookie” to “biscuit,” I went into a corner shop which had some appetising-looking biscuits on display. I asked what kind of biscuit they were (eg chocolate chip?) and got an odd look from the young woman behind the counter who told me “they are cookies!” As if “cookie” meant a flavour of biscuit. I was none the wiser.
And yes, grahroll, “cookie” come from the Dutch word “koekje” which means “little cake.”

4 Likes

I rarely eat sweet biscuits; far prefer savoury ones. Which brings me to something I was complaining about yesterday: is it just me or do Arnott’s Cheds actually have far less of the cheese topping than they used to? They also don’t break easily along the middle line, more often seem to just shatter. As well as skimping on the cheese topping it seems as though the recipe has changed as well.

3 Likes

OOOH I think we need a vote on which is the best cookie to dunk!

4 Likes

Oh, right. That looks like a good topic :joy::rofl:

3 Likes

Fight the power

3 Likes

I have to say, the results to this poll really surprised me. I love chewy chocolate chip cookies! and If they’re crunchy they have to be dunked in milk.

3 Likes

No surprise to me.

I guess if you like chewy ‘cookies’, then not a large leap to another American concoction, the ‘brownie’.

Most of the respondents seem to just like biscuits (AU, not US).