Chips : Frozen potato . Which brand and type do you buy?

Once or twice per month here at home, so quite similar to zackarii. We do however sometimes buy them at a particular place on the highway when travelling south, maybe once every few months.

Actually, I think I’ll make chips tonight!:fries:

5 Likes

Hi @zackarii . I find the Aldis Australian straight cut Chips good value at $2.00 a KG pack . They are more consistent in size than the Coles offerings which are either as thick as railway sleepers or that thin that half of them crisp up and are inedible . Aldis also have have that real old time fish and chip shop taste too .

I remember walking home from school as a kid and mum would give me 3 pence to buy some chips but would always tell me dont get 6 pence worth or you wont eat your tea .
Two shillings and sixpence got you a "School Lunch " Flake , usually 2 , potato cake and chips . Arghh the good old days .

Thanks for your contributions @zackarii in the past , now and in the future . They always add something positive to the post .

10 Likes

About once every 2 or 3 months. Generally have to throw out the remainder in the bag as they get freezer burn before we would use them next.

5 Likes

We would do home cooked chips about once in a blue moon.

Our preference, several times each week is baked or large wedges, all part microwaved first before placing in the oven or occasionally shallow fried in the pan. Sometimes all three steps, micro, pan, oven in that order. Not really chips because of the shape and bulk. Much better value per kg and perhaps healthier too?

About once a month we have fish/and chips from the local. Or the occasional burger and oiled salt sticks (fries) when travelling.

6 Likes

When I was feeding a family, chips were always always freshly peeled spuds, thick cut & double fried. Now, as an empty nester, I always have a packet of Birdseye Golden Crunch in the freezer, which are oven baked: I still prefer home made chips, but I can’t justify the wastage of the cooking oil, with such infrequent use…

6 Likes

Funniest typo today :smiley:

5 Likes

I don’t buy or cook chips.

2 Likes

Yes that is an issue which used to bother me too, one of the reasons I started using the Actifry, which only requires a tablespoon of oil for a batch of chips.

4 Likes

I always order asking for NO salt. Even then some I’ve occasionally ended up with way too salty chips, and have taken them back for replacement, minus the salt.

6 Likes

@ScottOKeefe I’ll go and stand in the corner and recite " I must read my posts before uploading 100 times " Thanks for pointing it out Scott .

6 Likes

I’ve always made chips from scratch, but now that I’m getting a bit lazy with my cooking, I think I’ll try the frozen ones, at least they’re already peeled and cut!

Disappointed to learn that was a typo,
@vax2000, I thought you were being creative in naming the monsters that line
the back walls of supermarkets :wink:

5 Likes

Personally I find it quite difficult to ‘think’ of chips and then resist the path of chippy happiness …

Once a week here is the approximate extent of chipoholism …

5 Likes

I didn’t resist :grinning: Home made potato and pumpkin chips always satisfy!

5 Likes

I’m a DIDO wife and mother of young child who is just starting to expand his food horizons, so we are starting to slowly eat fewer chips, but I do always keep at least one bag of frozen chips in the freezer - fish portions, chicken schnitzels or even sausages in the air fryer (Tefal Fry Delight) with some microwave steamed veg is better than takeaways, especially on my work days when I’m not home until after 5:30.
I’m usually shopping at IGA so I go with the Birds Eye Golden Crunch chips (these are actually AMAZING if you air fry them with sausages on top), but if I happen to be at Woolies, the Woolworths Australian Steakhouse chips are definitely my favourite!!

2 Likes

I always buy birds eye golden crunch and cook in the air fryer. at a friends house one night they served some aldi beer batter chips and they were wonderful so I went to aldi to buy some and they didn’t taste the same. My friends deep fryed them so maybe that made the difference in taste. in the airfryer they tasted horrible

5 Likes

I’m happy with the Aldi crinkle cut or potato jewels. Sometimes get the hash browns.

2 Likes

Do the same. Take about half an hour but they are better than frozen chips.

you can do them as roast spuds too!

3 Likes

When we finished our current pack of McCains Shoestring fries this week, I was very surprised to notice that they actually have a 4.5 star health rating.

I also noticed that the pack was labelled as 900gm as I am sure that they were 1kg in recent times.

Perhaps that help explains why Coles & Woollies are now pricing them at $3 a pack after jacking the price up to over $4 a pack a few years ago.

2 Likes

Ahhh Birds Eye golden is one of the tasties chips, but I don’t ever put them in ayrfryer - always deep frying as it gives it completely different flavour. Sometimes with cinnamon flavor reminds me of chips that I’ve ate at vacation. Limited edition sort of and very hard to find. Aldi crinkle is fine as well by me - also deep frying “version”.

2 Likes

Chips are my absolute downfall, which is why a) I don’t buy frozen or b) have an air fryer. I figure its safer for me to just buy some when out and about once in a great while. If I had them ready to go in the freezer, it would be a daily event. I adore chips!

4 Likes