Cheese : What brand/s do you prefer to buy?

Some decades ago, the best deli in Cairns was Andre’s Gourmet Delicatessian which had a fantastic range of absolutely delicious products and was selling King Island cheeses many years before Coles and Woollies.

Whilst shopping there one day, the owner said to me that he had a Frenchman from a visiting yatch tell him that that the King Island Camembert was the best he had tasted anywhere in the world.

Pretty much says it all.

3 Likes

Looks great…fresh soft cheese…yum…

3 Likes

We checked out Aldi and, to our delight, discovered a magnificent Stilton. You never know your luck in the big city! :yum:

4 Likes

Maasdam cheese from Aldi

3 Likes

I never buy shredded cheese because its cheaper to shred it yourself.
but i do bu Adi goats cheese delicious and cheaper that the other supermarkets unless on special.

3 Likes

That is true. Also shredded cheese often contains added anti-caking agents to prevent the grated cheese clumping or sticking together. The another point is grated cheese has a significantly higher surface area to block cheeses meaning it is more likely to go off or get mouldy quicker. If one buys grated cheese, after opening it is possibly best to place in the freezer.

4 Likes

It can be called a cheese-like substance. Oh no now I have mentioned religion at the dinner table…

Have you been reading ‘The Gardian’ again?

Alternately Jarlsberg can be called an edible export.

At least we now know what ‘The Stig’ does for the off season. You need to read the article to find out.

3 Likes

I just opened a pack of Warrnambool Heritage Lightly Smoked Cheese which was dated Best Before 06.07.2019 which I bought around 2 months ago.

The flavour is incredible so it appears to have improved substanially since passing its BB date.

2 Likes

Whilst at our local Coles today, I saw Ashgrove Natural Wood Cold Smoked Havarti Cheese Block on special for $4 so I bought one.

What an absolute disappointment. It is both the worst Havarti cheese and the worst smoked cheese that I have ever tasted.

It could not hold a candle, smokey or otherwise, to Warrambool Herttage smaoked cheese.

I prefer stronger flavours in my cheeses and love Mersey Valley varieties and sometimes lash out on the more expensive Blue cheeses from Tassie.

4 Likes

I popped down to our local Coles to grab a piece of Gorgonzola cheese to make blue cheese sauce for dinner tonight and looked in both the deli and dairy sections.

Coles jacked up the price of the Snowdonia Red Liecester from the UK that my wife and I really like twice from around $60/kg to $75.50/kg so I buy it when they mark it down by 30% to 80% when it reaches the Use By date.

However, I noticed that it is now also stocked prepacked in the dairy section for $8.50 for 150gm which is $56.67/kg for the exact same product.

I would have expected that Coles buying it in full wheels and cutting it themselves in random weights in the deli would be cheaper than buying it prepacked.

Probably just more smoke and mirrors, or is that smoked cheese and mirrors.

Perhaps one to avoid?

https://www.9news.com.au/world/worlds-most-dangerous-cheese/9506131b-a942-4c27-8bc5-f2bc24f9cf6c

Hope everyone has finished their breakfast.