Charities using addresses to try to get donations

I have had at lest 3 different charity groups using my address after i signed a petition. The problem being the landline that goes with my address is my mothers. She os not well at the moment and these calls are not welcome.

2 Likes

Hi @christinejunewhite. This is really interesting - especially if you’ve just signed up for a petition and nothing else.

@SarahAgar is my colleague who is looking into nuisance phone calls - she might like to find out more from you so I’ve tagged her in here.

1 Like

There are rules against giving out your details without your consent - but people may consent without knowing it by ticking boxes without reading the 20,000 word disclaimer. Or the charity marketers - which are often third party priofit-minded businesses without a charitable bone in their bodies - simply flout the rules. Oversight is not airtight, probably because the oversight bodies are underfunded and under-resourced.

Anyhow, here’s a couple of stories Choice has done on the subject. Apparently the charity industry thinks getting gimmicky freebies with a solicitation for donations works. Consumers think otherwise - and that’s just part of the story.

Don’t get me started on products that claim to give a portion of their profits to charity …

2 Likes

I volunteer at the kids Cancer Foundation. I’m not sure how they get names, addresses and phone numbers, I’ve just assumed out of the phone book. They rely on donations to do their work. They send many thousands of letters out and get many thousands of donations in response. Those who don’t want to be contacted return the mail and ask to be removed from their mailing list. The same with phone calls. I know they respect people’s wishes and remove them. I suggest anyone who doesn’t wish to be bothered by these calls or mail outs contact them and ask to be removed.

2 Likes

Good on you for the great work you do, and for the great work volunteers do everywhere. It would seem that the problem - at least in some cases - lies with the businesses that are hired to raise funds, not the charities themselves.

I receive calls from charities several times a week. I have now got to the point where I have decided to reject all charities.As a photographer I also receive calls for free photographs and classes especially for schools. They don’t seem to realise that I have bills to pay, the internet, computers, software, licenses, fuel, food and the list goes on. In the beginning I would donate a class of one days tour. Not now, people don’t even give me feedback or say thank you.

2 Likes

@christinejunewhite I have written about a technique that may be useful to you in future. I have copied it here for you.

"If you provide your phone number on a web site or
when you enter a competition, to register for example, then you have
given that company and any linked companies with whom they share data
permission to disregard the DNC register, they always put this sharing
clause in their privacy policies. So if the site owner or competition
holder shares this info with their advertisers and so on you basically
wipe your DNC request. This is why many people put themselves on the
list and then a little time after start getting flooded with calls
again.

If you want to try to stop this and have a mobile phone you can buy a
prepaid SIM card for a cheap service that has a 365 or 180 day credit
expiry period examples would be ALDIMobile $15 +$5 (SIM cost) 365 day
expiry, Amaysim $10 + $unknown for SIM 365 day expiry, Vodaphone $10 +
$unknown for the SIM 365 day expiry. Register it and use that phone
number anytime a site asks for one. It may cost you about $20 but the
peace and quiet may be worth it. If your mobile phone is locked to a
service then ALDIMobile uses Telstra, Amaysim uses Optus, and Vodaphone
uses Vodaphone (had a smiley here but it got lost on the way over)

Just swap the SIM card out once you have your new number and place it
someplace safe just in case you need it for some contact over an order
or similar, so it can be used for a few calls when you want, and to put a
recharge on it before the expiry date (to keep the number active). Put
a reminder in your Calendar for a few days before the expiry date so
you can ensure you refresh your SIM credit. A bonus is that if you do
pay and activate the next recharge before the expiry date most rollover
the unused credit.

I hope that helps some of you to reduce or eliminate these calls."

I hope you can use it to your benefit.
Regards
@grahroll