Charities harassing the general public

Last year I got a VOIP phone, which has an insanely quiet ringtone, even on level 8 I can’t hear it in the hall. However the message bank sends me an email if anyone leaves a message - and if they don’t, I figure it’s not important. Also I have re-registered on the Do Not Call register, which can now list mobile phones. And my latest mobile has the option to block private numbers. Suddenly, it’s bliss! No cold calling.

I have possibly hit on a solution. I give one-off donations to the Salvation Army. One evening last week I received a call from one of their representstives wanting me to become a regular donor on a fixed program. When I said that I chose to give by one-off donations only, he commenced a very hard-sell approach, and demanded to know why I chose to give that way. I refused to answer, and hung up on him. After stewing about the call, the next day I rang the Salvation Army direct, and told them how unhappy I was about my treatment the evening before, and truthfully how I felt that my one-off donations were no langer wanted, and that the high pressure sales approach made me feel like I should change my will to remove the Salvation Army as a beneficiary. The response was immediate - repeated deep apologies and a promise to follow up on the high pressure caller.

3 Likes

That is my experience too. I am going to buy a Hawkers and Canvassers plate for the post box and at the foot of the stairs. We had some cowboy tree trimmers 2 years ago - who left large trunk pieces of tree hidden under greenery. One of the trees has never leafed up properly since - I fear it is dead. From then on they called any time they were in the neighbourhood and were incessant in suggesting more trimmings needed for a large cash price. They exceeded their impudence by calling last weekend at 8 am with more work seeking. They are tax shy and an absolute pest. Heaven help them if I answer the door next time.

1 Like

Apple Marketing are pretty slow to respond. I emailed them 27 Feb, and they responded today 10 April. They did apologise for the delay.

1 Like

I have had my landline on the Do Not Call list for a long time, and it lasted years. When I went on the website to update recently, I was pleased to see I could add my mobile number - however this last week I have received 2 cold calls from charities, on my mobile.
What can you do, other than be rude to the caller?
But presumably they are given a list, and get paid depending on how many people they can contact, it’s just a [horrible] job.

1 Like

We finally removed our landline and now have peace and quiet in the evenings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t give them any information and immediately RTS any begging letters they send you. Went from one or two letters per day to about one per week. The only thing I hate more are the tin rattlers at shopping centres, particularly the ones who call out to you.

1 Like

I have charities I give to, any unsolicited charity mail gets return to sender and posted back.

1 Like

I absolutely agree. I don’t give them any info and RTS all letters.

Likewise. If I had it to spare, I would contribute. Having said I couldn’t afford to donate he continued on about how I could do it maybe next month. I am truly overwhelmed with emails and calls for donations. I was on the do not call register, perhaps they become null and void - must try again. Also men calling at the door to see if I want to get trees etc. lopped. These people prefer cash and why should I pay cash to them so they can avoid paying their share.

3 Likes

With these phone calls, you must NOT get into a conversation with them. Once you realise what they want say something like 'I have given for this year" and hand hang up.
Most Importantly…DO NOT FEEL GUILTY.
DO NOT GET INTO A CONVERSATION WITH THEM.

4 Likes

I registered my landline several years ago and had no problems. Last year i checked that the number was still listed (which it was) and added my mobile number. Now it is as though i published my mobile number on facebook!
One called today, it was some sort of agent calling on behalf of several groups - but i couldn’t get past a recorded message.
So i sent a message back, see if it shuts them up.
I can block numbers that send a message but the only remedy i have for callers is to label them collectively as TRASH, and not answer … so the annoyance continues.

There should be some comeback for those who dont follow the rules.

1 Like

date, Name, Address is all that is required to use the receipt as a tax deduction to a charity,

Over time the move by charities to become more commercial and business like and the use of manipulative leeching fund raising agencies reducing donated funds reaching the declared cause by large percentages has just put me in a straight “no” response.

The evolution of their practices now means any stranger that comes to the door or approaches in a public space is automatically thought to be trying it on. All landline calls get screened by the answering machine. As this wave moves to spamming our mobiles with calls and sms then we will be in the same situation as the landline.

G’day @BrendanMays, this thread and Stop charities phone marketing might be merged as they appear to cover the same ground.

3 Likes

In order to stop being harrassed by telemarketers phoning for charities do the following. Send an email to privacy@applemarketing.com.au which goes as follows:

Dear Apple Marketing Group,

Please add my telephone number, (XX) XXXXXXXX, to the Apple Marketing Group Do Not Call Register.
Please reply to this email and tell me that you have taken my number off your call list.

Many thanks,

(your name)

It may or may not stop all of them but Apple Marketing is resposible for the majority and it’s worth a try.

26 Likes

Thanks @petejr. I didn’t know about them.

Info from Apple Marketing’s website http://www.applemarketing.com.au/privacy/dnc/

"Do not Call Register

Apple Marketing Group Pty Ltd is employed by registered charities to assist their fundraising efforts, this includes contacting donors both new and existing via telephone.

Calls from Australian Charities, or organisations calling on behalf of charities (such as Apple Marketing Group Pty Ltd) are not considered to be telemarketing calls, as outlined in the Do Not Call Register Act 2006.

Our business practice complies with government legislation, including:

Telemarketing and Research Calls Industry Standard 2007

Do Not Call Register Act 2006
If you are registered on the ACMA Do Not Call Register, and you do not wish to receive calls from Apple Marketing Group on behalf of registered charities, you may contact us to have your number added to the Apple Marketing Group Do Not Call Register.

Download our form and email this to dnc@applemarketing.com.au. It may take up to 30 days for the update to take effect."

11 Likes

Thanks for thatinformation, very handy

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for that information. Will give it a go

3 Likes

They make it difficult.
You have to print off their form, scan it and send it back.

I also ask my friends not to phone between 5 and 7pm as it will just go to my answering machine.

3 Likes