CHOICE membership

Champions Challenge - Calorie claims

CHOICE is looking into calorie claims on food products, such as when the packaging reads “Only xxx Calories”.

Some examples of these claims include Halo Top, Blue Ribbon Skinny Cow and Fropro, which all promote their “healthiness” using these claims. ‘Wellness’ bowls such as the range from Super Nature also use these ‘ony xxx calories’ claims.

CHOICE wants to know how widespread these claims are, and demonstrate the influence they have on consumers’ perception of the product.

The Challenge
Snap a picture of a calorie claim in the wild and post it to this thread!

The Reward
Receive the Food Champions Award badge for your profile. Top posters will be offered a chance to become a Food Champion and work with CHOICe on important food issues.

8 Likes

I wish I could enter, but I never buy ‘healthy’ foods :roll_eyes:.

3 Likes

Why aren’t you calling it Kilojoule Claims? Australia officially dropped the use of the word calories for kilojoules back in 1988!!

5 Likes

They use Calories because the number is lower - eg “Only 99 cal per serve!” sounds so much better than “415kj per serve”, but the nutrition panel has to show kj.

My gripe is with misleading or confusing “Serves” which may not be a Unit (biscuit, portion) and it is unclear how many or what fraction of the unit constitutes a serve. Oreo biscuits have 4.7serves per packet - do I break one to get the Serve? I’ll keep an eye out for products that may trumpet “99 cals” on the front and then have a ‘serve’ in a different size/kj on the nutrition panel.

5 Likes

An article regarding confusion with serving sizes.

4 Likes

This is possibly a reverse example whereby the serving size is incorrect and may give a false impression that the food is high in calories and other things (salt, fat etc)

The serving size on the nutritional label (apologies for quality by it is about the size as a postage stamp) is 150g, but the 150g packet contains approximately 15 individually wrapped servings (each about 10g).

If one reads the nutritinonal panel, one might be confused that the serving size for each individual serving is 150g and that the nutritional panel information applies to each individual wrapped serving. While these treats are tasty, eating 15 in one sitting (150g) may be a little to much to consume and the nutritional panel should have been for each wrapped serve.

5 Likes

Here’s an example, but they don’t trumpet the claim. Hermesetas granulated sweetener “Over 90% less calories than sugar per serve (1.5Cal vs. 16.7Cal)”.

It does stack up. A serve is 1 teaspoon. They claim volume equivalent (in sweetness) with cane sugar - cup for cup. Therefore comparing it to 1 teaspoon of granulated cane sugar. The CSIRO’s database has sugar at 16Cal per teaspoon, Hermesetas as 1Cal (rounded to nearest?). The label claims 1.5Cal vs 16.7Cal = 91% CSIRO figures = 94%.

True! It is over 90% less. What’s wrong with the marketing people? - I’d be putting that on the front in big figures.

6 Likes

Barambah Cold Pressed Coffee in Calories :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes