Ceiling Fan Installation

Hi AC

Let me start by saying I am not an electrician, but we have had lots of these ceiling fans installed in our home.

There is no easy answer. Firstly, what ceiling fan/light do you want? How much do you want to spend on each?

If you are a memeber of Choice have a look at Choice ceiling fan review Sept 2019. The review lists eight ceiling fans with integrated lights.

Once you have made a selection, you need to see if they are available on-line, or for ‘over the counter’ purchases. Work out the cost of the fan including delivery or your travel time.

If you organise for an electrician to pick them up, you will have to pay them for their travel time, and generally the electrical suppliers the electricians buy from are more expensive.

Find out what electricians in your area (who are willing to come out) charge hourly. If it’s a straight swap of fan light for light fitting, you have to allow about a hour each (at a guess based on ours) to install to the ceiling and swap the wall switch.

Without seeing it, it is hard to know if the ceiling rose would be a problem. Depends on the fitting that is there at the moment vs the fitting for the fan light. It also depends on whether there is a convenient truss above the rose to hang the ceiling fan on to or not.

The fact that you have 3.8m ceilings a problem, as most electricians aren’t likely to carry A-Frame ladders that go that high. You may need one that does commercial work.

But don’t use those get a quote sites, as they often lead to very expensive outcomes as detailed elsewhere on the forum.

So I think you will need to lots of research and work out for yourselves which is the best in your circumstance.

4 Likes