CBA SMS Scam Warning 28.11.2020

I received a text message from CBA at 9:57 PM yesterday, as follows.

** IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM COMMBANK** Your NetBank access has been limited. To resolve this, visit https://???.com.au or call 132221 & follow the prompts.

I have just spent 30 minutes listening to their puerile spiel of how all their call centres are in Australia before hanging up in disgust.

Our NetBank account is working fine this morning…

I just clicked on the link above before I disabled it and received this warning.

Has anyone else received this SMS message?

2 Likes

I haven’t received the SMS.

2 Likes

We often get phishing emails allegedly from banks (Australian, European and US), Paypay, eBay, Amazon, Apple etc indicating that our account has been ‘limited’. Most of the ‘accounts which have been limited’, we don’t even deal with the institution in question. Using the word limited automatically indicates that it is a scam. Those sending the phishing emails look like they have used a online thesaurus and selected this word as their new word of choice.

Like any texts or emails, never click on the embedded links. If one thinks what is being said is genuine, type your usual URL to access the website you are after. Better still, use a password manager and only use the saved URLs to log into the website.

2 Likes

Avira says it is a phishing site. Whois lookup says it is owned by GoDaddy which is a doubtful mob who host all manner of things and they are certainly not the CBA. I think if you read the genuine CBA web site they will say they never send that kind of email or text. It is pretty obvious this is a scam.

3 Likes

No, I haven’t and if I did I would immediately delete it.
I certainly wouldn’t answer it, even if I had an account with whatever institution was sending it.

4 Likes

Yes I get them all the time and mostly from financial institutions I have no accounts with!

And not just financial institutions either, paypal comes up regularly, as does Amazon all saying my account has been frozen until I click ’ here’ and update details.

Never ever respond to these emails. Delete them, do not click on anything. If you are not sure, contact your bank or access your accounts using private view or even on another device.

1 Like