Cash not accepted

When a business refuses cash as legal tender and insists on payment with plastic, I feel I am being blackmailed and manipulated, also details of your plastic purchase are tracked, added to your database and likely used to profile you for all sorts of marketing and future social engineering. And there are no signs warning you this can happen.
John

4 Likes

Maybe Cash needs to be made obligatory to accept for payment but I don’t see the Fed Govt liking that…also needs a change to an Act so again not sure they will want to do it. But yes I would really like to pay my rent and such with cash rather than Money Orders and so on.

1 Like

Hear hear! Government is happier to provide profits to anyone it can. If cash were required the card issuers would be deprived of their 1%, payment companies would lose some customers and their $3.50 a month service fee, BPay traffic might reduce as would the charges, bank card issuers might suffer less than world’s top profits, and our governments cannot have any of that, can they?

That summarises the biggest reason a cashless society is a rort but still a long term government agenda - everybody can have their hand out for their fees, as well as providers “transparently” showing their surcharges (that makes anything all right according to our apparatchiks in Canberra) to cover their own costs for not taking cash. BOHICA

1 Like

There is an additional factor to consider, as unfortunately, there is a segment of Australian society that really loves to deal in cash: organised criminals.

One telling statistic is the number of $100 notes produced vs the number in circulation. There have been numerous calls to do away with the $100 note, eg https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/28/analysts-call-for-australias-100-note-to-be-scrapped

1 Like