Carnivore Diet Gaining Traction

An article regarding meat only diets gaining popularity.

Sounds good to me. Perhaps I will have that Angus bone-in ribeye roast we were going to cook tonight for my breakfast instead.

“The Philosophy of the Stomach; or an Exclusively Animal Diet is the Most Wholesome and Fit for Man” - by Bernard Moncriff (1856)

Looks like it’s been around quite a while.

I do not eat for the mere sake of gratifying my palate, but to satisfy my appetite, I cease eating when I have had enough. But with your condiments, drugs, and drinks, you cannot say when you have had enough

3 Likes

This was an interesting read

1 Like

There is obviously a good reason why all apex predators are carnivores, and a lot of what they eat are herbivores.

1 Like

I guess from an evolutionary perspective, you can spend your energy breaking down plants for nutrients or catching and eating animals who have done the work for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Other than this is true by definition what good reason did you have in mind?

1 Like

Nothing in the article is inspiring long life and good health from a meat only diet. I feel I wasted 100 seconds, but rejoice in not needing to buy a newspaper as a reminder of the savings.

It’s all anecdotal and short term thinking. True carnivores eat all their meals fat and all, raw. It might make for a great life style, briefly, prior to serious coronary and cardio vascular disease. One way to make room early for the next generation.

Was the SMH article balanced?
Not one word about the relative cost of feeding a family on such a meat rich diet. And not one word on the environmental considerations or sustainability of such a strategy.

Although the need can also be satisfied by providing all meat for carnivore preferences manufactured exclusively from plants. Perhaps best taken carpaccio (raw) for maximum benefit. No animals harmed in the process. :wink:

I didn’t think it was overly balanced either. Amongst other things, it was neglectful to publish the line from the Cancer Council nutritionist without challenging it;

We did some modelling work that indicates around 18 per cent of bowel cancer cases in Australia are attributed to eating too much red and processed meat.

There isn’t a single study attributing read meat consumption with bowel cancer that I can find. Don’t get me wrong, there is plenty of epidemiology showing association, but none proving attribution to meat in the diet. She shouldn’t be using that word which implies causation.

1 Like

An article regarding herbivores face higher rates of extinction than carnivores.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/spotlight/08/06/20/herbivores-face-higher-extinction-risk-than-predators-study

Roast beef and veggies again tonight to help ward off being eliminated early.

More likely they are both on the same trajectory. It’s not good news for our environmental assets and heritage, which ever aspect is emphasised. One cannot survive without the other and both need a healthy environment in which to live.

Sounds like elimination is inevitable?
Veggie burgers, mushrooms and greens tonight might make more of statement!

Not whilst I am still vertical during the day.

I am going to start one of the two kits of Swiss Brown Mushrooms tomorrow now that the new cupboard I can store them in was finished today.

And greens tonight. Broccoli, Brussel sprouts, sugar snap peas & snow peas.

The Carnivorous Diet

published in The British Medical Journal on Feb 13, 1886

“Sir, - On Friday, January 8th, I read the account of Dr. Salisbury’s treatment in the Pall Mall Gazette, and determined to try the effect of it in my own case. Seven years ago, I weighed 11 st. 12 lbs. (height, 5 ft. 9 in.), and when I trained for my college-boat I always lost five pounds. A month ago, I weighed 14 st., so I was at least two stone above my weight. If any of my lean brethren wish to know how I felt, let them put on a top coat with two stone of shot stowed away in the pockets, and wear it for a single day. When my friends congratulated me on my aldermanic appearance, their compliments were as gall and wormwood to my soul. If they had felt as I did, that the hills of life were growing steeper, and that the pleasure of living was contracting in a daily narrowing circle, they would have condoled with instead of congratulated me.
For the last six weeks, I have lived on lean meat and hot water, or its equivalent, and yesterday I weighed 13 stone. I have taken a pint of hot water (130° Fahr.) at 7 A.M.; a pint of “schoolroom-tea” with a squeeze of lemon in it at 11.30 A.M.; the same at 3.30 or 4 P.M.; and a pint of hot water (130° Fahr.) at 10 P.M.; a pound of beefsteak at 8.30 A.M.; a pound and a quarter at 1.30 P.M.; and a pound at 6.30 A.M. This has been hot, but preferably cold, and has been varied with hare, chicken, etc.
The result is this. I am a stone less in weight; I am six inches less in girth; my gouty “heirlooms,” in the shape of “hereditary deposits,” have disappeared; my flatulent indigestion has vanished; my mental and bodily activity have doubled; I spoke on Thursday for an hour with less effort than I did in December for ten minutes; I sleep for seven hours without moving; I can wear gloves and shoes a size smaller; I have lost my tendency to catch cold; my muscles are daily hardening; my kidneys are doing their duty nobly; my figure is altering so rapidly that my tailor is in despair, but I am triumphant.
When I have completed the course, if you will spare me room, I will finish my tale, and relate the lessons I have learnt in dietetics and therapeutics during the experiment.
Yours faithfully,
Ben Rhydding, Leeds.
JOHN FLETCHER LITTLE.”

A diet that is bound to appeal to many, but is it practical? 3.25 lb of lean beef steak daily, hare or chicken optional. Assuming the third portion is actual for 6:30pm?

That’s 1.5kg daily in the new system. Something our local butcher can accommodate times two. Lean grass feed ok but not high score Wagyu. A wallet breaker for some either way. Our local butcher only does meat IE beef, lamb, pork and chicken. Everything else is “Not Meat” so the hare is not an option. The importance of hare to the diet may be important. There is one very fit hare in our larger back yard. At least I assume it is fit to have evaded the pythons and feral cats and raptors thus far.

There is no mention of condiments, EG salt, chilli and lime sauce, mango chutney, hot English mustard. Eating cold steak in quantity is easier with than without. Or in true Carnivore style must it be consumed au natural? Some of the answers are in the linked article. :wink:

None of the referenced items give the suggested diet a green score. I take a few clues from the reference to training for the college boat to resolve. :thinking:

@southerton I do appreciate reading about the research and science. Should it come with a “do not try this at home” advisory, as well as the expiry date? :rofl:

1 Like

Another article regarding carnivore diets.

Paleo Pete will be impressed.

The reported study and commentary contrasted two different outcomes.

For the Inuit study the conclusions were a shortEr life span, higher risks of certain cancers, a diet which included offal and some consumption of raw meat which is higher in vitamin C.

The comment re population groups noted for longevity
In contrast, the traditional diets of the longest-lived peoples in the world have very high vegetable intake, she points out.

Sashimi any one?

Inuit whale sashimi?

Or kujira?
I’m sure the Inuit have their own name for it too!

Although personally I would not care for either for the obvious reason.