Carbonating Water with Soda Machines

Intriguing! Where did the small bulbs of CO2 go and how did you get the carbonated water out of the bottle?

A cover screwed out and they inserted into the handle. With the one below, the cap connected to the chain is unscrewed and the canaster inserted.

Pressure. There is a leaver which one depressed and the CO2 pressurises the bottle forcing the carbonated water out. The CO2 is forced into the water via an internal tube (which can just be seen in the photos). This photo shows the lever…

2 Likes

Thanks. Was not aware that SodaStream had a competitor. Prices seem similar.

2 Likes

The trade measurement regulations require that a container of compressed or liquified gas must show the mass or the equivalent volume at a stated temperature and pressure. However, LPG containers must show the mass.
IMO it’s pity that the amount of water than might be carbonated with the CO2 is displayed much more prominently than the amount of CO2 in the cylinder.

4 Likes

I had a sodastream for several years. About 5 years ago i needed a new machine but there had been a design change, so the bottles wouldnt fit. In the new design, replacing the gas is much easier. Sodastream sent me complimentary bottles. Very happy with machine & service - just wish the bottle lids had some grip, as gassed up bottles can be very stubborn to open.

4 Likes

I agree. If enough people gave them that feedback they might change the lid design. The lid on the glass bottle for the old Crystal model I am using at the moment (rather than the modern model with the plastic bottle) is much easier to open. See pic.

2 Likes

Re SodaKing:
Interesting to see that the machines are widely sold and there are many places to get exchange refilled CO2 cylinders. And at the moment, Kmart is selling the Windsor model for only $27 (RRP $69.95). This is very cheap considering that you get the gassing machine, a cylinder containing 400g of CO2, and a 1L plastic bottle for the carbonated water. The SodaStream bottle is only 840mL.

3 Likes

Cool! 1 L would be great for family. Usually only me here. Love the old fashioned look of that bottle.

1 Like

Why would you wash a bottle that has contained only water??

1 Like

I bought a Sodastream a couple of years ago, but soon became disillusioned with the value of the standard cylinder of CO2. So I searched the internet for a solution, and lo! you can buy an adapter kit (basically a hose with appropriate end fittings) that allows you to use a big cylinder that’s used for gassing beer. You can buy these and get refills from any home-brew shop. It works out much, much cheaper. The cylinder I have holds 2.5kg of liquid CO2.

4 Likes

Mould does build up, especially in the lid, and does need cleaning out

3 Likes

116 litres is amazing. My calculation from our experience is that one gas bottle at $25 makes 30 litres of soda water (using all the right techniques). That works out at 83c per litre compared with 80c per litre for supermarket-bought soda water. The difference is that Sodastream soda water goes flat quicker than supermarket soda water.
So, overall, Sodastream is slightly more expensive. (I have no problem carrying soda home with my supermarket goodies) and you have the expense of the initial purchase. So it’s lose lose.
Reliability: had a few faulty CO2 bottles. Replaced but that takes time.
I’m not in favour of Sodastream.

1 Like

I guess washing is needed if flavours, etc. are added to the carbonated water in the bottles.

2 Likes

I’ve only had to pay $19 for refills and at that price the cost of gas for you would be 63.3c /litre which, even getting only 30 litres per cylinder, makes it competitive with cheap soda water (eg Coles 2 litre bottles for $1.45, cost 67.5c/litre - after deduction of the 10c recycling refund).
We only got 116 litres (138 of the 840mL bottles) for soda water from one cylinder of CO2 because in addition to using the right techniques we only gave 3 squirts of CO2 per bottle. As a result, the soda water was much less fizzy than that from a the supermarket.
However, the soda water is much fizzier using the old Crystal model (650mL bottle) and 3 squirts. But, it remains to be seen how much the gas costs per litre. I am expecting it to cost much more than when we got 116 litres from one gas cylinder.

2 Likes

I’ve been using my Soda Stream now for over 28 years and am still very happy with it. The cylinders are affordable and easily accessed the amount of ‘bubbles’ can be adjusted by simply using fewer ‘squeezes’.

2 Likes

The same machine for 28 years or have you had several? If several any reasons why? As I mentioned in my initial post, the plastic gas dispensing lever on ours broke after only a year.
I agree that the cylinder exchange system is very convenient but think the $19 cost is quite high.

Thanks for this info. By buying the CO2 in 2.5kg lots and transferring it to the 400g cylinder yourself, your cost per litre of soda water must be very low. So, over few years you will be able to make significant savings, especially if you drink a lot of soda water.

However, mainly because we do not drink much soda water, at the moment I think I’ll stick to buying exchange 400g cylinders of CO2. But, I wish they were cheaper.

1 Like

The same machine for 28 years. The cylinder lasts me for several months, I usually buy them when they’re on special, 2 or 3 at a time, in that way they are very affordable.

2 Likes

I have 2 of the standard type Soda Streams; one in the house and one in the caravan. As a diabetic I find the soda water with a citrus much more refreshing than the traditional soft drinks. I grow my own tangellos, lemons and limes (as well as mandarins and cherries) which give me a quick refreshing drink when I want it. I usually go to the first ‘burp’, wait 10-20 seconds, a second quick burp and then done. I don’t really care if I am saving money but I do prefer to save the planet from an influx of plastic bottles.

7 Likes

I purchased a Soda Stream Unit 12 moths ago. I stopped using it as I was only getting 19 x 840 ml bottles. Soda Stream advised that it was important to use tap water at room temperature as crystals can form in the needle that distributes the gas. Customer service also referred me to a YouTube video about how to use the machine. They replaced the machine and gave me an extra cylinder and other accessories, which I appreciated. I am not having any more success with my new machine. I will continue to use it, for eco reasons, but feel it is an expensive way to source soda water.

3 Likes