Car Sales RedBook Vehicle History Report

I was interested in buying a Citroen C5, and having found one that looked promising on line at a dealer in Perth, paid $34 for a vehicle history report from CarSales RedBook. Despite having the VIN number of the vehicle (which I now wonder if it was even the correct one), the details showed that it was a turbo petrol when it is in fact an HDi turbo diesel, and that it had a 4 speed sports auto gearbox when in actual fact it is a 6 speed. The details were incorrectly supplied by the dealer. However I would have thought that the VIN number and registration details would have shown up the discrepancy. Surely it should have done as I was paying money to have the authenticity of the vehicle checked. I have written to RedBook and am awaiting a response.

7 Likes

Citroen claim only selling around one hundred of the sedan styled C5 every year Australia wide. It would seem a relatively simple task for a dealer to get the vehicle model details correct as well as the VIN.

Certainly not a long list for the importer to track warranty on either. Although such details may not be on the public record.

Perhaps you will get a reply to say there is an error by the dealer in advising the rego/VIN. Although such an error might also say something about the dealer?

Hope it works out for you.

P.S.
My favourite piece of French Engineering and design is the Eiffel Tower, with the Statue of Liberty a close second.

4 Likes

I watched a documentary some years ago regarding the Eiffel Tower and I was amazed at just how little metal was used in its construction.

“As a demonstration of the economy of design, if the 7,300 tons of metal in the structure were melted down, it would fill the square base, 125 metres (410 ft) on each side, to a depth of only 6.25 cm (2.46 in) assuming the density of the metal to be 7.8 tons per cubic metre”

I was also amazed that it was originally planned to remove the tower after the exposition.

Gustave Eiffel alos designed the steelwork for the Statue of Liberty amongst other engineering projects.

Might seem a bit far fetched on such a low volume vehicle . Maybe the previous owner did an engine and transmission transplant .

2 Likes

The earlier models came as both. but as with many premium Euro cars they only came as diesels in more recent years.

Lets just say the prospect of that in a C5 or any modern Citroen would be somewhere beyond remote, but not impossible given enough money and madness.

4 Likes