Car Battery Shenanigans ... Do you know your battery date stamps?

I connect the trickle charger with an exension lead and then close the hood/bonnet.

I place the trickle charger in a place where it has plenty of room around it, and I make sure that the end of the extension lead and of course the charger are safely enclosed under the bonnet. [You have to find a spot where there is a bit of a gap to pass the lead through under the hood so the lead doesn’t get compressed or worse cut through.] In our case the other end runs under the garage door. The setup becomes virtually unstealable then.

One would hope that no-one in the right mind would try cutting :scissors: through a power lead with power running through it. :electric_plug: :chart_with_upwards_trend:

5 Likes

You might find it cheaper to buy a modern electronic multistage battery charger. They charge all types of batterys and can be left on for extended trickle charge without any overcharging. Saving on expensive fuel.

4 Likes

I would hope not, @meltam, but then I have been living in StKilda, a Bay side suburb of Melbourne, for a long time and nothing surprises me anymore! :wink:
A charger for the battery does sound like a good idea. Although the extension lead would have to dangle from my first floor window at the Flats.
But I would still need to take the car for longish drives regularly for the overall health of the engine.
The small savings on petrol would be offset by more costly repairs, as I don’t need to tell you about cold engine wear etc,.

4 Likes

I’m sure it would be better riding along Beach Rd bike path on a bicycle/ebike :slight_smile: Ride a bike and save your engine from short drive wear!

2 Likes

Yes, it would be a beautiful, albeit dangerous, ride along Beach Rd. (Dangerous for pedestrians too: one was killed not long ago, in an accident with a bike rider.)

Still doesn’t solve the problem of the car needing a regular workout. Unless you are suggesting (Horror,:wink:) that I give up driving altogether?

3 Likes

I work for a battery wholesaler (importer) and the only sneaky battery swaps I have witnessed is after a customer’s vehicle has been to a panel beater. I feel for them, when they stand next me, gazing under the bonnet, claiming a warranty on a battery installed in there vehicle doesn’t match the description on the receipt.
My first question is always, has the car been to a panel beater recently? Why yes, how did you know.

7 Likes