Choice survey on product safety: Results Published

Nothing personal @AmyPereira, especially since this seems to be government generated, but there are basic functional issues as well as apparently some ambiguity, ie Q3.

Could be some high school interns? Insufficient testing using a large enough group not engaged with the survey? A government agency that does not really want to know about the problem but has been required to arm wave for government to look responsive while doing zip?

Functionality suggests nothing but quality forms programmed by government’s best, or a contract let for top dollar to the Right company no competitive tender needed and no further questions asked, or just OJT for interested staff to upgrade their skills with a live exercise since there was no budget allocated for the survey?

BTW, if you were not happy with how you answered any or all of the Q’s, just do it again and again and again until you have it right, including submission! None of this one person one vote rubbish to worry about.

My browser (Firefox) would not let me enter the same number for two items.

Choice might make some of these points to the survey ‘owners’. I think it would have more weight than if we individuals gave them feedback, but my cynical self thinks the outcomes of whoever made reports would be the same: ‘Thank you for your information’ → crickets.

6 Likes

In a nutshell,l I have always known that Australian products imported and made in Australia. are woefully inferior.Having lived and travelled overseas to UK, Europe and US I know that we are getting inferior quality products. This is probably due to our buyers not stipulating better quality from overseas manufacturers. The huge problem here is that because the products do not last, they become landfill.

3 Likes

and also the desire to push down prices to compete the with cheap online products (and the desire of many consumers for cheaper products). When there is price pressure on products, something has to give.

It possibly also reflects our disposable society.

1 Like

My observation is that both online and bricks and mortar are equally culpable. If anything the bricks and mortar are chasing the off-shore online to the bottom as fast as possible. From regulators? Crickets.

It should be illegal to sell goods in or into Australia that have not passed or at least claim to adhere to certain safety standards (with significant legal recourse if they misrepresent that).

3 Likes

Gave me the same impression. Seemed the onus was on me to show what understanding I had of the subject.

I have a feeling that because, so far, I’ve been lucky enough not to have had any experience with an unsafe product, I’ll not be taken seriously.

2 Likes

I completed the survey, informed this government of the great job one of Australian manufacturers discovered a fault in one of their cars, I found out, and they fixed a over 10 years old car.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t happen to much to overseas built cars these days, with Toyota, Jeep, Madza, Takaka air bags details in the last few years. With manufacturers avoiding comsumers.

As Choice has also described over years, overseas built in redundancies into goods, so they break down after short use, and you have to buy another one. Most people don’t chase up the manufacturer or the retailer, refuses to supply exchange, replacement!

2 Likes

Probably more ubiquitous are poor road and intersection designs that are known to cause fatalities but seem to be too expensive to fix. Would prefer this to be addressed too.

1 Like

I am responding to this post because I can’t find a place to post a new question. Someone please enlighten me, anyway my comment is that the rating questions (1 to 5 ratings), doesn’t allow reviewer to change the rating after a number/mistake has been entered ( I couldn’t at least) This will result in a false final result and will support draughtrider’s claim that this survey could be loaded. It does not help my view that all reviews are rigged.

4 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You are not the first in that ‘trap’. I trust you have read this topic from the beginning to see how many share some of your observations. As for the results, not only could it be loaded but if you wish, it will allow you to submit as many surveys as you want to assure it is loaded to your preferences :wink: One would hope they filter out multiple responses from the same computer or IP address but based on the quality of the survey programming I would not count on it.

Rather than repeat it again, this link will take you straight to how to change answers, discovered by trial and error.

3 Likes

I also thought the gradings couldn’t be changed, once used a number couldn’t be used again, but then by trial and error I found that going back to ‘please select’ gave the opportunity for a change of gradings.

When I said I had no experience with an unsafe product, the questions abruptly ended, ‘thank you and goodbye’.

4 Likes

It appears this is the outcome of that survey. Quite interesting how peoples beliefs don’t match reality, and that the responsible Minister apparently does not want to know about any of it as demonstrated by his apparently all but unique refusal to meet with 2 parents.

Well done Choice!

1 Like

In 2018 - 1,145 road fatalities were recorded Australia wide. There were 144 fatalities in the Australian mining and related industry.

These two receive both a high profile and massive safety spend by government or corporates.

The reported 780 fatalities and approx 52,000 injuries from unsafe consumer products is equally mind numbing.

Choice punches way above it’s weight given the magnitude of the challenge. Probably 1,000 times knowing in comparison how much more is spent on managing safety by governments on the roads and the mining industry.

As a nation we spend billions every month with feel good slogans attesting to building better and safer roads.

For consumer safety and government, not ‘asleep at the wheel’, more a driverless vehicle with the AI turned off.

3 Likes