Can you cook salmon in a dishwasher?

It might seem like a bizarre idea, but you’d be surprised how often it comes up. Can you cook and eat salmon from a dishwasher?

BS Buster badges are on offer for the best answers :slight_smile:

**Edit from a dishwasher :rofl:

6 Likes

Better hold the detergent tablets and the rinse aid.

3 Likes

I see no reason why fillets or a small whole salmon couldn’t be cooked by steaming in a dishwasher with sufficiently long hot cycle. Since it would be a low temperature cook, the heating to near 100C would likely need to be perhaps 45-60mins IMO. I think it would be a good idea to put it in an oven bag first though!
However, I doubt there is enough room for me to eat a salmon in a dishwasher!

6 Likes

How big is the dishwasher? If it is big enough for me, the salmon, and a cooker, a definite yes.

5 Likes

Haha - my mistake, that wording is a tad strange. :joy: Have edited.
What I’m trying to get at is, would the salmon be edible if cooked in a dishwasher?

5 Likes

Unless the internet is filled with similar parodies, a resounding yes!

6 Likes

Convincing the salmon to swim/jump into the dishwasher is probably the biggest challenge, even if the dishwasher was located close enough to the watercourse in which the salmon reside, with the door open (salmon can’t open dishwasher doors) …

7 Likes

Judging by the number of articles my good friend, Mr Google found, you most certainly can cook salmon in a dishwasher.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cooking+salmon+in+a+dishwasher&rlz=1C1SQJL_enAU794AU794&oq=c&aqs=chrome.1.69i59j35i39j5l3j69i59.1722j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Might need to run the dishwasher with a bottle of dishwasher cleaner afterwards, especially if the salmon was not in a sealed oven bag.

3 Likes

I think the question should be: Why on Earth would you want to cook salmon in a dishwasher?

I grew a few Atlantic Salmon here a few years ago, and they cooked perfectly well on the BBQ. My Rainbow trout do taste better though :wink:

7 Likes

Seems to do a good job of Asian House Geckos and cockroaches. Have done so by accident. Might be best to use a sealed temperature tolerant bag as others suggest?

Is it really worth the wait though (for the fish to cook)?
I could wait a very long time for the other and not feel like I was missing out on anything special.

There are so many other ways to cook fish, more conveniently. How much water might this also waste if compared with a traditional sous vide method in a large pot with a low burner.

Would a theme discussing similar alternate methods bring some more interest. Eg can you really cook an egg on a hot tin roof? Perhaps even a 20litre black painted drum of water left in a sunny spot might also cook the fish in an hour or too? Both options seem like very green solutions, even if the cook does not quite succeed? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

P.s. our dishwasher tops out with an intensive wash at 75C. For salmon sous vide recommendations vary according to your taste from 40C to 60C. Guess you need to be able to control the water temperature as well as time?

5 Likes

You certainly should be able to fry an egg on an iron roof.

I have seen WWII documentaries which showed Allied soldiers in the Western Desert frying eggs on their tanks.

2 Likes

Referencing the youtube videos no water is wasted since it can be cooked with the dishwashing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You would definetely want the salmon to be in a well sealed oven bag then.

2 Likes

Of course. The recommended temperature for sous vide salmon is 40c to 60c depending on taste. A dishwasher typically reaches about 60c on low cycle. So unless you juggle the timing very carefully the fish is likely to be well done which will lose points on Monsterchef but that wasn’t the question.

There are some obvious potential problems with contamination but if you clean the washer carefully and use no detergent etc while sealing the fish in a vacuum heat-sealed bag it will be perfectly safe - if overdone.

4 Likes

Hi Andrea . Are we talking about Australian Salmon , which are actually not Salmon but in the herring family , or Salmon from the northern hemisphere ?. I think they would be both able to be cooked on a steaming cycle although the Aussie Salmon is not renowned for its eating qualities .

3 Likes

Sort of counter intuitive, however at least you don’t need a plate warmer. :blush:

1 Like

I now wonder if you could all day slow cook a steak in an old style tradies metal tool box, a bit like Hogs Breath style? :wink:

Might need some where very warm and sunny weather to test the theory. Probably any where other than Tasmania at present. Bed of salt bush or suitable local herbs to help the flavour a little? :yum:

1 Like

Yes, but why would one want to do it?

It is however e more likely that the salmon would be overcooked due to the length of the washing and rinsing cycle.

Poaching salmon in a saucepan would be far easier, create less waste (it would need to be in a sealed bag to prevent spoiling from dishwasher residues - this bag would become waste) and use less energy and water (diswasher f.energy use would ce significantly higher as considerably more water is heated).

Poaching can be done at temperatures between 45°C and 95°C. The higher the temperature the shorter the poaching time and the higher the risk of overcooking the fillet. In a dishwasher one might be able to control the temperature by selecting the washing cycle, but one can’t adjust the wash or rinse cycle times unless one opens the dishwasher part way through the cycle.

Personally, a dishwasher is best placed to wash dishes and a cooktop and saucepan is best placed to poach salmon. It is a bit like saying can one wash the dishes using a cooktop…yes it is possible if one has a large enough saucepan to hold all ones dishes, but why would one really want to do it as it in less convenient, uses more water and energy and has higher risks.

Also, if one likes sashimi it is an irrelevant question.

4 Likes

The alternative is to cook it in a sandwich press if in portions. Wrap in baking paper then aluminum foil, But first you can put herbs salt and Pepper etc before wrapping and then putting it in the sandwich press, maybe for 5 minutes depending on the thickness. We have cooked whole trout and salmon portions this way. A whole snapper took longer. Just make sure that the fish fits within the width of the press.

3 Likes

Great use of the sandwich press @genelow16

Do you think a steam ironing press might be the go for larger fish?
Just go easy on the steam!

2 Likes