Can anyone provide caravan recommendations?

After I spotted the massive Toyota Tundra and Ford F250 Super Duty dual cab utes the other day right up here in the Deep North, I thought that they almost made the best selling utes in Australia, the Ford Ranger and the Toyota Hilux, look like Tonka trucks.

However, the pricing of the Ford Ranger in Australia almost makes the US pricing look like Tonka truck prices in Australia.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/

The Toyota Hilux is no longer sold in th US due to the “Chicken Tax”

There is a major revision to national regulation of registered vehicles commencing 01 July 2021.

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/rvs/

At first pass it appears to aggregate the details of all registered vehicle approvals. It assumes agreement on uniformity across all the states and territories.

A key change under the RVS legislation is the introduction of the Register of Approved Vehicles (RAV), a publicly searchable database of vehicles that have met the requirements of the RVS legislation and been approved to be provided to the Australian market. The RAV replaces the need for the physical compliance (ID) plates currently fitted to vehicles.

Whether this is accompanied by any improvement in compliance by Caravan manufacturers, the pathways to approval appear to be similar to existing arrangements. Noticed the original legislation is now more than 2 yrs and 6 months old. There is a transition period from the 1st July of at least 12 months.

Under the RVS legislation, all road vehicles – cars, trucks, trailers, caravans and so on – must be entered on the RAV before they can be provided to the market for the first time in Australia. During the transitional period, some vehicles can continue to be provided to the market under existing MVSA approvals.

I can’t comment on the detail. There are exemptions that can extend an existing voluntary approval for up to 5 years without supporting documentation.

Whether this meets the needs of would be new Caravan purchasers any better? Choice might need to review it’s members site advice. @BrendanMays .

How enforcement of the regulations and oversight of the updated requirements is provided may also be of some interest.

1 Like

Whilst out yesterday, I spotted this monster dual cab ute.

Complete with a “Cummins Turbo Diesel” badge on the front mudguard.

When I was able to check in the rear view mirror after I had passed it, I saw a Nissan badge on the grille. What an absolute let down.

At least it has a decent engine.

From Germany not the USA. Worth reading the details as you can take your Ferrari with you!