Portable fridge aficionados - help shape our test

I bought a Waeco some years ago – I’m pretty sure it was a Choice recommendation, but it was also on sale.

I use it almost exclusively just for getting the groceries home from the shops, although that is largely because I have done very few trips away in the station wagon since buying it.

I also used to use it when defrosting the downstairs freezer, running it off an adapter (240vAC to 12vDC) but now I have upgraded to a frost-free model the Waeco never leaves the back of the station wagon.

It can be run at freezer temperatures in the station wagon as well, but apart from proving the battery could pull it down below zero I have never run it that cold in the vehicle, settling for somewhere around 3°C as the optimum for the mix of stuff from the supermarket (or from my kitchen fridge when I am off on a trip).

I put in a mixture of fresh and frozen food, and fresh drinks – I haven’t caught a fish since owning the car fridge, but were I ever to wet a line again I imagine it would be ideal for keeping the catch fresh 'til I got it home to the pan (and I wouldn’t be buying ice for the Esky!).

The fridge always has its switch set to “on”, but I only plug in the lead to the cigarette-lighter socket when I want to be running it, and I usually try to throw a freezer brick in to help chill it down when I’m not going to be driving very far before doing the shopping.

The one gripe I have about it is that the lid has slightly warped over the years so that it will no longer clip shut, but my thermometer says it is still able to hold the temperature below 4°C – cold falls and all that.

3 Likes

I think “portable fridges” & “caravan fridges” are two different categories.

Most caravan fridges are designed to be permanently installed in the caravan or RV.

• Many are “3-way” fridges which can be powered by 240V AC, 12V DC or gas and are absorption refrigerators. The vapour absorption cycle is very inefficient in comparison to a compressor fridge. It’s main virtue is that it can be operated from gas.
  • Caravans/RVs set-up for “off-grid” camping typically use 12V compressor fridges (but they are generally built-in, not portable).

Most truly portable fridges use a 12V DC compressor (some with a 240V option), some smaller models may use (less efficient) thermoelectric/solid-state/Peltier devices.

As mentioned by others, the most important consideration is the 12V power-consumption of the portable fridge. This should be tested with a controlled ambient temperature (I think 32°C is standard) and a controlled internal temperature (4°C ?).

A low-voltage cut-out feature is valuable to protect the battery from damage and/or leave enough charge to start the car in the morning.

3 Likes

Portable Fridge Freezer considerations
Previous Experience
Due to the expense and very low use (e.g. 3 x 1 week camping trips per year) found buying a very good esky and ice the cost effective alternative to portable fridges.

Did buy 2 second hand 3 way fridges but these only seemed to work on 240V as demonstrated. Tip: impossible to know if running on gas, so don’t buy unless you have some comeback or have tested by a service agent.

Did a year long trip with a camper trailer with Electrolux 3 way fridge with no problems. Tip: make sure you can access the fridge when camper folded down to store shopping. Fitted camper with solar panel and deep cycle battery for remote camping and having own power supply meant savings in using unpowered tent sites paid for the power supply very quickly- do the maths. Also independent power supply added value at sale.

What are we interested in?
Now in retirement, the trips away from home will be much longer and more frequent, justify the expense of one or more fridge / freezers. What is the best option - it depends on the user/s, length of stay and the remoteness of destinations. Considerations would be:

What do you use your fridge for?
Buy it for 7 day + camping trips or extended car / boat travel. But very useful as over-flow fridge / freezer once home for keeping that superb catch, bulk buys or party / Xmas goodies .

Where is your fridge?
While travelling in the car and / or boat. At destination at campsite, in the home (preferably close to the kitchen i.e. laundry or garage) or remain in car / boat if that is the only power source or if one of two units.

Fridge, freezer or both?
Need both functions. Freezer for keeping frozen food and bait and freezing the catch. Freezer can manufacture ice (water bottles) for eskies use (as fridge) for daily consumption at camp and with vehicle.

Power sources
On the go or at campsite - 12V from car alternator /dual battery, ground (at campsite) and car roof mounted solar panels. 240V at rental accommodation.

At home as overflow freezer (bulk buys or great fish catch) would try to use camping / vehicle solar panels in preference to 240V. At holiday accommodation use 240V.

3 way fridges work well in remote campsites, share a portable fuel (gas) with camp stoves and will operate when the sun is obscured for a week. 9 kg bottles can supply energy for every day use up to 2 months for fridge and stove. However, they are inefficient and have limited ability to freeze in very hot weather. Further electric power is preferred as safe lighting inside tents and campers.

So currently you still need 2 power sources for remote area cooking, refrigeration, lighting and electricity generation and storage. Having a 3 way fridge freezer for the campsite and a 12V fridge freezer for the vehicle may be the solution.

Remarkably thermoelectric devices such as the Biolite Campstove 2 can do all that except refrigeration just by burning readily available kindling wood - but on a limited scale. The future looks promising. https://www.simplyenergystore.com.au/BioLite-CampStove2

1 large or 2 small. Handling weight and bulk and power consumption.
While 1 x 90L fridge is much cheaper and smaller in bulk than 2 x45L fridges (extra external insulated wall area) it’s weight and bulk when full is likely to require multiple persons to lift. Also, 2 fridges maybe more power hungry.

Of course with 2 units, 1 can stay in the car whilst the other remains at camp. The need still remains for both freezer and fridge but this can be handled by freezing water in bottles for esky (fridge) use. 2 units would be more reliable in remote areas.

Efficiency when packed in vehicles.
When packed tight inside a vehicle or under a tarp, restrictions of air flow will greatly reduce efficiency as fridges being heat pumps need to be able remove the heated air from the fridge’s surroundings. A ventilation shaft or duct would greatly help.

What sort of temperature ranges does your fridge typically experience?
not measured.
What do you put in it?
Freezer - frozen prepared meals and meats and fish catches. Fridge - Defrosted foods, dairy products, wine, soft drinks and short life F&V.
Is your fridge always on, or do you just use it when you need it?
When I need it and when power available - which maybe when power generated from vehicle or solar panel or when back at 240V source such as rented accommodation. Fridge likely to be without power over-night - therefore insulation very important.
And is there anything else you’d like us to look for?
Can the fridge / freezer cope with a remote Northern Australian summer trip e.g. Cape York or the Kimberley’s?

3 Likes

I think insulation is extremely critical, including seals around the door/lid. A good esky will keep ice for days… and a well insulated fridge will minimise power consumption.

Actual power consumption of fridges would be interesting. I’d happily pay a premium for a 12V fridge which is highly efficient.

For 12V fridges, an inbuilt low voltage cut-out can be very useful.

A buying guide for portable fridges of all varieties would be good: eutectic vs 3-way vs standard compressor type. But a comparison between them would be very difficult; hence I’d like to see only 12V fridges being tested.

2 Likes

Our portable fridge review is now available. Thanks to everyone here who left us valuable input.

2 Likes

Hi I want to purchase a car fridge and freezer. Can you help with advice on what is the best please
Evakool
Kings
Oztrail
Engel
Bushmans
Dometic
Thanks

Welcome to the Community @Sharon65,

Choice tested portable fridges and the report (member content updated Sep 2020) is linked by @BrendanMays just above. I presume these are the type products you are interested in? As a general statement the Community avoids conflicts with Choice member content. Choice appears to have stopped the pay for view option but does have a quarterly on-line subscription that provides access to all the online reports.

Some but not all of the brands you mentioned were tested, but perhaps not all the models you may be interested in. For products not tested Community comments are welcome.

I trust you understand.

2 Likes