CHOICE membership

BYO VOIP Modems & Wi-Fi Routers ~ Which RSPs Allow them, and Which Don't

router
modem
wi-fi
voip
rsp

Good lessons learned. It is easy to get comfortable when you have been with a company for so long and all of us start out naive.

Are you able to provide a link for that info? I can’t find this in TPG’s FAQ or search.

Google found it from the text.

https://www.tpg.com.au/support/nbn/installation-faq.php

it is about half way down.

Thanks Phil. It’s funny how TPG’s own search couldn’t find it as easily as Google did. I was navigating from TPG’s own pages (the same pages people are expected use when looking into an RSP’s plan) and the FAQ’s listed for NBN phone bundle plans underneath mention nothing about 3rd party modems. I’d consider the Support / Installation FAQ’s section a place to look only after experiencing difficulty in setting up. It is certainly not obvious.

I am with Spintel which has been great until NBN. Netcomm modem/router is controlled by them. Firmware upgrades don’t work. :frowning:Looking for an alternate when contract is up…

I seem to recall Ubiquiti having security issues with their WiFi a while ago - but presumably you keep the firmware current? The Ubiquiti Edge Router is apparently extremely good if you are prepared to nerd out.

On the broader subject, I will be wanting my own router between me and any ISP - simply on the TNO (trust no-one) principle. If I need to set up multiple routers then so be it - I have a few spares in the cupboard, and keep meaning to move my couple of IOT devices onto a separate physical network.

absolutely - I always make sure I’m running the latest set of bugs :wink:

Of course using your own routers are going to likely give you the best internet outcome. We tend to spend our money on the more costly and therefore hopefully better performing hardware. RSPs do so on a more economic basis ie what they can buy at best (read lowest here) price and still meet the needs of most users.

If you don’t want to use a RSP’s own VOIP service then the move to “3rd party” routers is more easily entertained and buying an alternate VOIP solution is not very costly.

Ubiquiti and others have had issues with security and I would hazard will still do so into the future. Most patch the faults quickly and so yes it is important to keep firmware up to date. It is also important to replace aging equipment on a regular basis to take advantage of patch-ability, design and security improvements.

Some modems and routers in homes are not patched, and as well have not been given patches because of their age. Be careful of what you pull out of your cupboards and use, and ensure they meet some reasonable level of security in line with their online exposure. If they are old and unpatchable then it is best not to use them and to purchase new equipment that is better protected, a lot of newer product that can meet some needs in this regard can be procured quite cheaply.

Yes, I am very aware of this issue. If I do decide to set up physically separate networks I will make sure I have downloaded all necessary updates before connecting anything to the Internet. One of the models will take open source firmware, so I’ll also need to grab that.

My last ditch solution will be to use the iPrimus Router as a pass through device and use my old Telstra/netgear router for my WLAN/LAN connections.