BYO VOIP Modems & Wi-Fi Routers ~ Which RSPs Allow them, and Which Don't

Good lessons learned. It is easy to get comfortable when you have been with a company for so long and all of us start out naive.

4 Likes

Are you able to provide a link for that info? I canā€™t find this in TPGā€™s FAQ or search.

2 Likes

Google found it from the text.

https://www.tpg.com.au/support/nbn/installation-faq.php

it is about half way down.

3 Likes

Thanks Phil. Itā€™s funny how TPGā€™s own search couldnā€™t find it as easily as Google did. I was navigating from TPGā€™s own pages (the same pages people are expected use when looking into an RSPā€™s plan) and the FAQā€™s listed for NBN phone bundle plans underneath mention nothing about 3rd party modems. Iā€™d consider the Support / Installation FAQā€™s section a place to look only after experiencing difficulty in setting up. It is certainly not obvious.

3 Likes

I am with Spintel which has been great until NBN. Netcomm modem/router is controlled by them. Firmware upgrades donā€™t work. :frowning:Looking for an alternate when contract is upā€¦

2 Likes

I seem to recall Ubiquiti having security issues with their WiFi a while ago - but presumably you keep the firmware current? The Ubiquiti Edge Router is apparently extremely good if you are prepared to nerd out.

On the broader subject, I will be wanting my own router between me and any ISP - simply on the TNO (trust no-one) principle. If I need to set up multiple routers then so be it - I have a few spares in the cupboard, and keep meaning to move my couple of IOT devices onto a separate physical network.

2 Likes

absolutely - I always make sure Iā€™m running the latest set of bugs :wink:

4 Likes

Of course using your own routers are going to likely give you the best internet outcome. We tend to spend our money on the more costly and therefore hopefully better performing hardware. RSPs do so on a more economic basis ie what they can buy at best (read lowest here) price and still meet the needs of most users.

If you donā€™t want to use a RSPā€™s own VOIP service then the move to ā€œ3rd partyā€ routers is more easily entertained and buying an alternate VOIP solution is not very costly.

Ubiquiti and others have had issues with security and I would hazard will still do so into the future. Most patch the faults quickly and so yes it is important to keep firmware up to date. It is also important to replace aging equipment on a regular basis to take advantage of patch-ability, design and security improvements.

Some modems and routers in homes are not patched, and as well have not been given patches because of their age. Be careful of what you pull out of your cupboards and use, and ensure they meet some reasonable level of security in line with their online exposure. If they are old and unpatchable then it is best not to use them and to purchase new equipment that is better protected, a lot of newer product that can meet some needs in this regard can be procured quite cheaply.

2 Likes

Yes, I am very aware of this issue. If I do decide to set up physically separate networks I will make sure I have downloaded all necessary updates before connecting anything to the Internet. One of the models will take open source firmware, so Iā€™ll also need to grab that.

2 Likes

My last ditch solution will be to use the iPrimus Router as a pass through device and use my old Telstra/netgear router for my WLAN/LAN connections.

1 Like

Although it is usually only an NBN VOIP problem, if one changes providers from a BYO friendly to a BYO hostile RSP it should be done eyes wide open. I wonder how many NBN sales reps ask if someone is using a BYO modem on their existing service and explain they will need to use the one provided, or if they just advise the new one will be delivered in 3-5 business days without explanation.

3 Likes

Hi everyone. I have been using TPG for 2 years on my current NBN account. Bought a Fritz Box to avoid using the Huawei modem that TPG supplied me with.

Recently decided I wanted to use the home phone, to avoid having my mobile on beside the bed all night. Went out and bought a simple Panasonic home phone. Tried to get it working with TPG VOIPā€¦ never would have believed that TPG wouldnā€™t allow this in conjunction with my BYO modem.

Totally amazed. I rang NSW Fair Trading. They created a case with TPG. TPG contacted me with:

ā€œI understand that you are seeking for TPG to assist you in setting up your own modem and phone on the basis that you are unsatisfied with the modem and has security concerns about it.
Please be advised that TPG does not provide SIP credentials for NBN-FTTN connection for security reason thus; we have designated the service to be used for a TPG supplied modem that acts as the ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter). Hence, our TPG Modem is our demarcation point for delivery of voice service that is why 3rd Party equipment is not being supported by TPG due to voip parameters requirements.ā€

ā€œGiven the above information, you may consider looking for a different provider who may supply you the service you need and TPG is prepared to waive the 30 days notice charge to cancel the service. I encourage you to consider the information I have presented and if you have any other information that you would like me to consider, please feel free to contact me.ā€

Just amazed that setting up a simple home phone has gone from being ā€œplug in whatever phone you wantā€ for decades, to what it is now on the NBN - ā€œyou need a modem and you must use the one we give you, even if itā€™s one made by a company which is beholden to the Chinese Communist Party.ā€

Crazy - from a consumer, competition, and ethical standpoint - all at once.

Did any of you guys ever find other ISPs who donā€™t enforce this ridiculous rule on their customers?

5 Likes

Welcome to the foruym @deeporbit. I trust it will be engaging and informative for your interests.

FWIW each RSP is fairly clear about whether they will support a BYO modem for VOIP service. Read their documentation about VOIP.

Aussie Broadband is happy to have BYO VOIP and their support tries to help when there is a problem, but they do not (nor should they realistically) be expert on every modem with VOIP capability on the market.

When I was faced with having to move to NBN this was my basic litmus test. No support for BYO VOIP and I was not interested in doing business.

6 Likes