Buying the Best Electric Vehicle - for your needs

**EDIT: Find out everything you need to know about electric vehicles with the CHOICE Electric Vehicle guide: https://www.choice.com.au/electric-vehicle-guide

Hyundai has recently released the Ioniq at an almost affordable price.

We are seeing the release of some serious competition to Tesla in the upmarket vehicle range.

Is now the right time to be sizing up the next vehicle and opting for electric?

Is there any reason to consider a hybrid EG Toyota Prius as an alternative?

Will the risk of that next diesel or petrol powered purchase be a rapid loss in resale value as EVs become more common?

Or will our governments naively or deliberately hobble the electric future.

7 Likes

When the cheapest is 46k$ and none sub 100k$ will go 500 km these are high-end/lease city cars only in my view - people who do daily commutes in the 100+ km range (or who work on the road), regular 500+ km in a day or relatively regular road trips of 1600+ km in day might be in the minority but will have to wait some time I’d reckon … seems likely it will be many years before the full multi-owner life-cycle and costs of the current crop of vehicles, let alone those of a fully developed market, are known.

On the plus side, if this devalues all the conventional vehicles which can realistically service regional and remote needs, then that suits me fine!! :wink:

4 Likes

Not yet released here due to Australian Govt approval processes the Chevrolet Bolt EV (recently had a model here but no release date) and the MG EZS now badged/called the MG ZS EV (due 2020 in Australia, pre-orders now available) both have decent ranges and should be somewhere in the region of $40,000 to $50,000.

As I have previously posted on the Community we have looked at the Ioniq as our preferred buy, it is considered one of the best economically for range. It now has an improved range, of around 311 km, than that listed in the article. It also now retails at a starting price of $52,216 for the Elite and $57,656 for the Premium.

The Bolt has a range of about 383 km so compares well with the MG EZS (MG ZS EV) below for distance with a price around $40,000 (driveaway as far as I know). There is no known release date for it here yet but it would certainly reduce range anxiety for many (other than remote/long distance travellers).

The MG EZS (made in China) is expected to be sub $50,000 (starting range driveaway cost now released by MG is $46,990) and comes with a range on up to 262 km (combined) and 371 km (city driving). It is a small SUV type body.

Things are changing in the EV market as more are manufactured and production efficiencies start to apply. What needs to happen here is many more charging points need to become available so those who cannot home charge or those driving extended distances can recharge where needed.

3 Likes

I am not in any way as knowledgable as the others, but the other issue I have read about is the life of the batteries. Apparently, the early EVs’ batteries are now getting to replacement age, which might be an expensive exercise.

4 Likes

The Toyota Prius batteries proved so good that when Toyota extended the battery warranty on new Prius vehicles in Australia, they also retrospectively increased the warranty to a total of 10 years on all existing vehicles.

That put them in the same league at current solar system batteries.

3 Likes

Yes, it is a risk!
It is worth considering in favour of battery EV technology:

The batteries that are now coming up for replacement due to expired life are yesterday’s designs. As technology matures the replacements can use improved tech.

EV storage batteries have come down in cost compared with the cost for early adopters of BEVs. Longer term the trend is expected to continue.

BEV storage batteries are now expected to easily exceed 5 years and up to 10 years, Within that time span technology change may also provide a step change improvement in cost, reliability and capacity.

Warranties on 2019 BEV storage batteries appear to be significantly greater than the average every day user might need. EG Nissan Leaf (8yrs 160,000km), Hyundai Kona Electric (8yrs unlimited km).

One observation might be that the more you drive or use a BEV the greater the benefit. Not only from the lower running costs. The driver is getting the maximum out of the life of the battery over a shorter period of time. In simple economic terms the high upfront cost of the current crop of BEV works best for higher km users.

Note: there are some interesting internet tales concerning battery replacement costs for first model Nissan Leaf 2012.

4 Likes

No person should do more than 2 hours driving without a break.
If you are a commercial driver this is mandatory if not you need to look at your driving method.
After 2 hours of driving a drivers vision closes and the more hours on the road it closes to about 5 meters vision.
If you are a fool keep driving your pherficial vision reduces you are a danger to other road users.
Yes I have seen the effect of this people being killed by not having the 360 degree vision they need after driving too long and not realising how their vision narrows.

I believe the references here are about range between battery recharges, not driving duration without breaks, which the current batch of EV’s quite effectively limit anyway (admittedly still more than ‘recommended’) …

1 Like

Need to charge your Battery EV?

Not one fuel retailer amongst the supporting sites?

1 Like

One more step that will make the decision to go to a BEV that bit easier.

One for the NSW State Govt.

1 Like

There has been increased focus on the mainstream car manufacturers moving to electric only vehicles.

There are many near to market examples OS that may or may not hit the showrooms OS. It’s a longer journey for a LHD manufacturer to supply Australia in RHD and to uniquely Australian design rules.

VW is now taking pre-orders in Europe for it’s first mass market EV, the ID3. It’s also been previewed in the UK, a major VW market which is RHD. This provided some optimism for a release in Australia.

Not quite here, but close enough given VW has recently ended ICE vehicle manufacture at one major German site for conversion to producing EV’s.

Back in 2001, an all electric car from India was in the offing (the Reva). But the government refused to let it into the country. It was a perfect small car for city commuting, and was already in use in London, where there were free charging stations and also, it was not required to pay road tax. Some solar guys in SA tried to get it happening but were slapped for their efforts. Mahindra is the company now. No idea whats happened to the little Reva, but you can bet it (or its replacement) is not in Australia, even now.

It wasn’t the government. The Reva and other light weight eVehicles at that time didn’t meet the Australian design standards or safety requirements for new vehicles. I understand there was an attempt to get exemptions for light weight eVehicles but this could have opened the opportunity for others to import other vehicles which also didn’t meet these requirements.

Bummer. I was all ready to buy one back then, cant afford it now.

Perish the thought that we redesign our burbs and traffic regs to enable limited use of alternative light EVs!

We’ve managed to accept the need for more room for bicycles and similar. The average utility electric golf cart has a range of up to 100km and speeds of up to 35kph, limited for good reason to 20mph.

A missed opportunity in the development of every new urban area.

1 Like

And more land taken up for the car…cities have enough already and we have lost much valuable land in the quest for private transport.

I was looking at the Hyundai IONIQ Plug-In hybrid, which appears to blend the benefits of a plug-in electric for city driving with the longer range of a petrol engine needed when you live 4 hours+ from the “big smoke” (currently drive an old cheap buzz box around town and fly to the city if needed, but if buying a new car wouldn’t be able to afford the plane anymore lol).

There are “plenty” of charging points between here and Perth, but depending on the vehicle, it would need a full charge somewhere along the line (with a Tesla it would be at the end, or nearly at the end of the trip meaning you have to get where you’re going and stop overnight. With other electrics it’d be at least halfway) adding up to 12 hours to the trip which is REDONKULOUS.

And yes, although I have done the drive by myself in one hit previously, you always stop for at least half an hour break somewhere around the middle, or do two up and swap drivers!

1 Like

Another way into the electric car revolution. Business owners and employees with leased car packages have had access to the benefits of all inclusive ownership for decades.

The subscription service may best suit commuters or those with a regular daily drive that is big on fuel use. For now it has limited availability to those who enjoy living in Sydney and Melbourne over the age of 21.

The all inclusive options start from $299 per week for a Nissan Leaf and $359 for the Hyundai Kona.

Note:
While signing up to AGL may not appeal to some it could be the start of an alternate path towards increased EV ownership. It’s open to others to offer similar options. For AGL a foot in the door to the EV market may also be strategic. Short term positive PR, longer term the opportunity when there is increased uptake of BEV’s that are dual mode and can put power back into the household or grid, V2G (Vehicle to Grid).

Could this be the end of car dealers as we know them, and a big smile from your integrated energy and transportation provider?

While we all grumble about the power and for some the gas bills, our motor vehicles cost us 5-10 times more each year to own and run. It’s another way for companies such as AGL to grow. Hyundai and others are in business to make profits from design and manufacturing of vehicles. They choose not to own dealerships for good reason.

2 Likes

I don’t :wink: Power has cost me about $30 since putting on solar, and the solar has also paid for itself on top of that over the same timeframe. Gas about $200 a year - so my various vehicles cost at least an order of magnitude more …

Trading car dealerships for energy companies? that put a big smile on my face - a bit like turning up in Purgatory and finding Lucifer is actually twins, but the good news is that you get to choose which one will enjoy the task of purifying your soul …

It will be interesting to see whether this becomes available no matter where one lives …

1 Like

This is still substantially more than for a ICE vehicle of comparable size (e.g. around $190/week for a Lancer which would be similar size to a Leaf or or $213/week for the non-electric Kona) and for average annual vehicle mileage…and is also out of the reach of most consumers unless they have a notated lease option with their employer and potentially get the vehicle lease with pre-tax dollars. Even then, the ICE become more attractive as well.